The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by K_o_46
According to which.co.uk, 18% of people receive offers for computer science at Oxford with requirements of A*A*A. I think 6A*s is slightly under average for an Oxford applicant but I got into cambridge for medicine with only 4A*s at GCSE.

There are a couple of mistakes there. The standard offer for Computer Science at Oxford is A*AA (with the A* in Maths, Further Maths, Computing or Physics, and at least A in Maths). The average number of GCSE A*s of successful candidates is about 6 (but some get in with fewer); I don't see much correlation between GCSEs and how students do when they get here.

Gavin
Reply 581
Original post by gavinlowe
There are a couple of mistakes there. The standard offer for Computer Science at Oxford is A*AA (with the A* in Maths, Further Maths, Computing or Physics, and at least A in Maths). The average number of GCSE A*s of successful candidates is about 6 (but some get in with fewer); I don't see much correlation between GCSEs and how students do when they get here.

Gavin

I don't see the correlation either, but it will surprise you how much Oxford value and use GCSE results in the application process. I've seen that for medicine at oxford the average applicant has around 8A*s, the average offer holder has around 10.5A*s, which leaves those with 6A* or less with virtual no chance of getting in considering only 10% of all applicants are given offers.
Original post by K_o_46
I don't see the correlation either, but it will surprise you how much Oxford value and use GCSE results in the application process. I've seen that for medicine at oxford the average applicant has around 8A*s, the average offer holder has around 10.5A*s, which leaves those with 6A* or less with virtual no chance of getting in considering only 10% of all applicants are given offers.

That is true for medicine, but it's not true for all subjects. In particular, we don't put very much weight on GCSE results for Computer Science (although we do expect to see a good result in Maths).

Gavin
Results day dream klaxon! I got in but my two best friends didn't :frown: But I also lived in a garden centre so I'm not sure it's a credible source :lol:
Reply 584
Original post by platosbesty
I'm legit crying over this thread because everyone is like oh yeah I'm pretty sure I got 4A's but I wanted 4A*'s and I'm just here like ummm I'm not even gonna get 3c's and I need ABB. Wow people on student room are too clever.

This is EXACTLY me!!! I need ABB to get into Queen's University Belfast and study English with History, but I fear I'm only getting 3Cs... BCC at the absolute highest... I'm just so ANGRY with myself.
:mad:
I wish I could start my exams all over again...
Ahhhh only 41 days to go :erm: the days are going sooo slow :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really scared about economics and further maths... don't know what will happen :/
Original post by Eliza Arwa
Really scared about economics and further maths... don't know what will happen :/

Yea Eco was quite wierd (edexcel eco) so don't know how I have done
Reply 588
I just want to know, I hate waiting
The results day nightmares haven't arrived yet, but I did have a nightmare last night that random huge seagulls were attacking me and biting me. Ah lordie, this just means the results nightmares are going to arrive, especially ones where I get ABB instead of AAB by about 2 marks >.<
Original post by edd1234
Hopefully this thread counts for AS too! (too lazy to read through/check).

This isn't a great question, but put simply, how likely am I to get an offer?
What I mean is at all the open days I've been to, all the people asking questions (mostly naive parents) seem really concerned with what the offer is and what happens if you miss it. I'm infinitely more worried about whether I'll get an offer in the first place.
While not every exam was 100% perfect, I don't think I screwed up on any subject as a whole, and I'd like to think I'll get 4As. (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry).
I'm hoping to apply for Computer Science at Oxford/Imperial/UCL/-somewhere-else-/York.
I got 6A*s at GCSE, including 3 sciences, but sadly not maths (the rest were all As besides a B in History).

I know I shouldn't be hopeful about Oxford - the competition there is ridiculous, but I have no idea or perception about my chances at the others. One minute I'm thinking "there are only around 100 places and potentially 1000s of applicants, I have no chance" but then the next minute I'm thinking "what's another applicant going to have that I don't, and I do further maths which they all really like".

I know it's a really vague question and there isn't a real answer, and I also know I could go look at the stats, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could say how likely/unlikely I am to get an offer - whether it's a really slim chance or if I'm a relatively strong candidate. In terms of my personal statement I have a fair amount to talk about - 2 years of work experience, although that's more IT than computer science, and I'm teaching myself Java at the moment, although I feel as if a lot of the other people I'm seeing at open days have already built a successful app or a hit website etc, and I have nothing like that.

You seem to be quite a strong candidate! I felt exactly the same as you when I applied to Oxford for Biochemistry, especially as I'm from a school where only one person has ever been successful at gaining a place at Oxford!
Nevertheless, I still got an offer for entry this year :smile: I got 10A*s at GCSE and 4As last year at AS (in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Geography). I dropped Geography at A2 and used the extra time to read very widely around Biochemistry - you must do that if you want to survive the Oxford interview which tbh is not as bad as some people make out!!
My AS exams went alright except Religious studies. I'm predicted 4A but I'll be happy with 3A and a B.
Still won't sleep on the 13th though!
Reply 592
Original post by CescaD96
My AS exams went alright except Religious studies. I'm predicted 4A but I'll be happy with 3A and a B.

AS Religious Studies is a thing? :eek:
Original post by SH0405
AS Religious Studies is a thing? :eek:

You've never heard of RE? I say Religious Studies on here cause I live in Northern Ireland and it seems all the Brits call it Religious Studies instead of RE :smile:
Original post by TheDreadedDuck
I take French, Maths and English Lit (all AQA). I don't know which one I'm most worried about... I think I could easily end up with A*AB. Which would SUCK. I feel the same way about my Cambridge offer. I only applied to Cambridge on a whim, with a bit of a "what the hell" attitude. After getting my offer, I've become Cambridge-obsessed!!! :s-smilie:

Hmmm, I just found Warwick boring. Don't get me wrong, it's got a lovely campus, but that's all there is to it. I felt like I needed a city uni. The Italian dept. there seemed amazing, but the French dept. was a let-down. The uni is highly prestigious, but the course wasn't as good as the one at Edinburgh. So you know, swings and roundabouts. Plus Warwick is about 40 mins drive away from me, a little too close for my liking. How come you never visited Warwick???? That's brave, choosing it having never seen it.

Yup, I love languages! :biggrin: Homerton is further out than most of the other colleges so I'm going to have to cycle to the MML faculty (luckily I'm a keen cyclist already.) You've got it pretty easy then, just roll out of bed and straight into your lectures :tongue:

At least you feel confident of an A* which is the hardest part! For an A don't forget if you did well at AS (which you probably did having an offer from Cambridge given their emphasis on UMS :tongue:) then you don't need to do so well at A2 for an A overall. For example, because I did quite well in economics AS I only need a C at A2 for an A overall! :smile: I've got pretty Cambridge obsessed too lately, to the extent that I can't imagine myself anywhere else :s-smilie:

Oh fair enough, well both Cambridge and Warwick have pretty surroundings so that's good enough for me :tongue: I didn't see any of the unis I applied to, I only went to Cambridge's open day (and weeklong summer school) and I figured that was enough :redface:

Ah most people will be cycling so that'll be fine. Is the MML faculty on the Sidgwick site? Yep, why else do you think I applied to Caius?! :wink: :tongue:
Reply 595
Original post by CescaD96

I did Religious Studies AS last year :h: which exam board and aspect did you study?
Original post by Zowidi
I did Religious Studies AS last year :h: which exam board and aspect did you study?

Ohh, Hermione :wink:
I did CCEA (Northern Ireland). I studied the Celtic Church in Ireland and an Introduction to Acts of the Apostles
Original post by Hoshil
Yea Eco was quite wierd (edexcel eco) so don't know how I have done

What did you find weird about ECON? ECON4 wasn't toooo bad but ECON3 was weird, I'll give you that :smile:
I messed up my history big time. I'm going to have to do some begging on the 14th.
I need ABB to study Modern History at UEA and I'm really stressing out about it...
Original post by collarobsession
I messed up my history big time. I'm going to have to do some begging on the 14th.
I need ABB to study Modern History at UEA and I'm really stressing out about it...

At what time does track update that day?

Latest