The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Original post by Lyianna'Tamekaa.
Anybody thought they done well at AS but their results completely shocked them? I'm kindah feeling like that..

I was the opposite actually, I thought I did really bad. My Geography and Biology exams went terrible. But I came out with AAAB!
Original post by Ndella
Why would you want to watch more?! They decrease my confidence every time I see someone get A*A*A*A, and that's pretty much the average grades someone gets in the types of videos I've seen :frown:

I am assuming thats probably because people have to be pretty confident to open their results in a video and if they got bad results they would probably get bullied but I suppose you could always not upload the video if you didn't do well.
Original post by Dalek1099
I am assuming thats probably because people have to be pretty confident to open their results in a video and if they got bad results they would probably get bullied but I suppose you could always not upload the video if you didn't do well.

That's what I thought. The teachers definitely set up the school geniuses to open their results as they already know what the students got. I'll try not to think of them as not every single student will get exceptional grades haha
Original post by johnfeb
A lot of people on here are expecting to be in it. I am too, only if my insurance don't take me on, but I hope they take me on.

What grades are you expecting?

Knowing TSR the majority of people in clearing on here will be people who didn't meet their offer for Cambridge/Oxford and ave still got loads of As and A*s because the standard is very high on here.You probably don't want to be on here if you have to go through clearing for any other reasons.
Original post by livealittle
Coz we 'had' to have an insurance :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it because your course hasn't got a lot of universities who offer it:confused: because generally you should have a wide range of universities who offer it to choose from ,admittedly some will have very high entrance requirements but most will be suitable and from them you can pick when I apply for Maths/possibly Natural Sciences at Durham I will have Cambridge as the Firm but I'm not sure about my insurance it would be either Warwick/Durham/Newcastle depending on how much I am prepared to take and how confident I am when I submit my UCAS form, which will probably be directly proportional to my AS results and all of them are good Russell Group Universities that I would be happy to go to.
Reply 1785
Original post by NicCx
Chemistry with a year placement and I've applied for Glen Eyre and Wessex Lane. What about you?

Marketing (comes with a year placement) and nice! Glen Eyre, Mayflower and Wessex Lane, all with en suite.
Original post by johnfeb
Nice bit of confidence boost,

That is if you think you have done bad I generally think I have done well so knowing that I won't know until I see my results in my email isn't exactly comforting because I could still have done awful at exams that I thought I did well at due to several panicky reasons that I will get more convinced will happen as results day approaches high grade boundaries(can be deadly in maths),harsh marking(Luckily they can't mark too harsh in Maths they can still take method marks off you though so there is room for a bit of harsh marking) and harsh moderation of my Physics ISA that could destroy my A grade or with harsh marking of the exams even destroy my B grade but that would be extremely pessimistic thinking I believe or hope.
Original post by diggy
Totally in 2 months ill be preparing to move to an entirely new city.

Thus the thought of going to university fills me with part hope, part fear.
Fear because of I step into the darkness of the unknown. Hope because I may be moving on to a better life

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes if I do get into Cambridge or Warwick next year and move away then I do hope to come back a free man who can find his way in the world because at the moment I'm completely dependent on my mam but there is also that darkness of how you are going to manage to do basic things-I won't bother ironing removing creases isn't essential I think just focus on food,rent and studies and everything else isn't important.At least I have 14 months left before this will happen.

At least the first year doesn't count in most universities but you have to pass(40%) and you may need high marks to transfer to a different course or continue on a tough course(MMath MPhy etc).

I know that I didn't do much work all year in college bar my homework and the start of the year where I did pick up a book and revise for the first few weeks in my free time but after that I got lazy and struggled to settle in at college and find that hard working persona I have often had.I ended up working really hard a few weeks before the exams though and I generally think cramming is the best option because then you can fully get use to the exam style questions/content more with all those past papers very memorable in your head after what was supposedly a hard Edexcel C2 people were complaining but most of the questions I could clearly remember seeing pretty much the same question before(one even had one of the same answers it was that similar).

I know at GCSE I suffered a bit from starting too early and then that means there is not much you can do as exams get closer and you have also burnt out all your will to revise I have seen it happen to me loads and wonder whether I could have done a bit better if that revision was closer to the exams.if you do cram A-Levels you are going to have to work really hard in those weeks I pretty much had the whole day planned for me during the world cup I had one exam to revise for M2 and it was pretty much go to college,eat,sleep,watch football and revise for M2(even during the breaks) it was that crammed.

During the last half term holiday I went to college revision sessions,ate,slept,watched BGT semi finals and revised for all my exams and that was all I did-I revised so hard doing three or 4 past papers in a row I think I got a headache just from working that hard.

I know for Physics I revised 9-10 hours straight but during some of the revision I did a question and read over the answers in the mark scheme(often a lot of them had a decent bit of detail so I learned quite a bit I thought that I don't think came up though) and then played a game a very useful technique for not wearing yourself out and allowing yourself to relax and take in the revision.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1788
Hey i need some advise :/ I'm in AS atm and i want to study Geology and physical geography joint honours at preferably Birmingham uni but if i do a joint honours can i do a masters for Geology? And also what do you guys think of petroleum geologist? Because i would like to be one of them. Or a field seismologist ( or Volcanologist but my mum doesn't want me to :P)
Original post by Dilzo999
Me too, I now have an urge to do medicine but I have no work experience, wrong A-Levels etc. The only thing I do have is **** handwriting XD.

I also have poor handwriting so poor my teacher and I eventually agreed on typing my Geography exams on a computer in a separate room.For Maths and Further Maths it is mainly numbers and a few sentences so I was fine and for Physics there isn't that much handwriting and I generally start off ok and get worse through a piece so due to only a small amount to write and little time pressure I decided only to type my Geography exam and I also thought it would be too awkward to keep transferring from computer to paper for every part of a question which you would have to do for Physics but for Geography virtually every question can be done on computer(physics calculations would be hard to do a computer and get any fluency I feel).
Original post by iheartdjokovic
I can't stop imagining results day going horribly and me having to find a quiet corner of school to cry in and hide from my teachers to avoid their disappointment/ sympathy :redface:

Same here!!

Gah 30 days!!! :zomg:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by YuS97
Hey i need some advise :/ I'm in AS atm and i want to study Geology and physical geography joint honours at preferably Birmingham uni but if i do a joint honours can i do a masters for Geology? And also what do you guys think of petroleum geologist? Because i would like to be one of them. Or a field seismologist ( or Volcanologist but my mum doesn't want me to :P)

I am not a fan of petroleum geologists because I don't believe we should be using non-renewable fossil fuels.You should be able to do a Masters in Geology because for a lot of subjects you don't even need a degree in that subject to do them it may be helpful to look if your degree is accredited by the Geological Society because if it you shouldn't have any problems, even if it isn't I still think you should be able to do a Masters in Geology.A seismologist/volcanologist sounds like a great job but very dangerous because you will probably have to study close to dangerous volcanoes that may be active or dormant-the work is very important and can save a lot of lives by predicting volcanic eruptions and how dangerous they will be so is almost as important as being a doctor and you can also help scientists understand about the earth's history so I have huge admiration for their work.
results day just needs to happen :frown: i checked track for uni and ucas just in case y'know

they'd let something slip :P
Original post by iheartdjokovic
I can't stop imagining results day going horribly and me having to find a quiet corner of school to cry in and hide from my teachers to avoid their disappointment/ sympathy :redface:

I get my results via email so I won't have to worry about this and also people who get them by resultsplus won't have to worry.
Reply 1794
I also have poor handwriting so poor my teacher and I eventually agreed on typing my Geography exams on a computer in a separate room.For Maths and Further Maths it is mainly numbers and a few sentences so I was fine and for Physics there isn't that much handwriting and I generally start off ok and get worse through a piece so due to only a small amount to write and little time pressure I decided only to type my Geography exam and I also thought it would be too awkward to keep transferring from computer to paper for every part of a question which you would have to do for Physics but for Geography virtually every question can be done on computer(physics calculations would be hard to do a computer and get any fluency I feel).

Wish I was able to type my A2 Geography exam. I used two answer booklets... my 40 mark essay almost took up an entire one.

Lucky you, I wish I was able to type in my Economics exam. My hand was dead after I finished that exam paper XD.

I get my results via email so I won't have to worry about this and also people who get them by resultsplus won't have to worry.

Ahaha we have the power :devil3:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1796
Original post by hotliketea
results day just needs to happen :frown: i checked track for uni and ucas just in case y'know

they'd let something slip :P

I remember you from the AQA Psychology A thread! How did you find them? :rolleyes:
Original post by Vitzy
Wish I was able to type my A2 Geography exam. I used two answer booklets... my 40 mark essay almost took up an entire one.

There are lots of benefits like being able to edit your essay and not having to ask for extra paper but because its on screen the computer screen makes you feel as if you haven't wrote much and for AS you can't really tell how much you wrote in comparison to the line spacing provided-at AS they generally provided far too little space for 15 markers from what I know when I did write on the paper before I started using a laptop during the course.
Ahaha thanks, I should make it my birth name. The terrible thing is I revised but my essay structure in all my exams were horrifc, so I'm trying to accept I failed to make my life easier
Ohh just found out the day after results day there's a family party :|
I will be grieving

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest