The Student Room Group

How has the world cup been so far?

I think it's been pretty bad so far, bar that Spain match the games just felt rather boring imo. The spain game was more a shock though.

CL group stages are better.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I've enjoyed it.
Reply 2
Worst competition ever.

CL is by far superior. It always produces the most interesting match up unlike lopsided matches in this WC like Spain Netherlands.
Reply 3
Original post by So Instinct
I've enjoyed it.

The Mexico game for me was pretty boring, the Brazil game was a good opener. I liked the spain game I guess. Just feel that I get more out of watching club football, even if it's not my team.

Original post by 419
Worst competition ever.

CL is by far superior. It always produces the most interesting match up unlike lopsided matches in this WC like Spain Netherlands.

You got me there.

It's not really that amazing though. I preferred the Euros as well.

Think I'll pick a team that I think will win and that would get me a little more interested.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Nah, I think its been a great start tbh, 14 goals in 4 games is pretty good and there's been plenty of drama and good football already, especially considering there were only 5 goals in the first 4 games in 2010 with that dreadful jabalani ball.
Reply 5
It's clearly better than 2010 but that's not hard to do?

14 goals but 6 of them came from one game, meaning that there's about 2-3 goals in the other games. essentially a 2-1 win every match.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
We're only 4 games in man, give it a chance. I'd say it's been promising, and it's not like you get that much drama in the first round of games anyway as you get another 2 games to turn things around.
The refereeing has left a bad taste in my mouth, but we've been treated to the best International match in recent memory, so I'm not complaining. Only four matches in, and loads of goals.
Reply 8
I've enjoyed them Spn v Ned the best so far. Liking Chile v Australia at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's been very good. Can't wait to see Argentina & Portugal play.

****!!! DID YOU SEE THAT?! HE MUST HAVE A FOOT LIKE A TRACTION ENGINE!
It's been pretty good so far. You look at a World Cup like 2010 and I can see how the CL might appear better, but after today I'm really feeling this WC vibe.

some dodgy ref decisions. But you get that everywhere. Hopefully the last we will see of those...
Original post by jam278
It's clearly better than 2010 but that's not hard to do?

14 goals but 6 of them came from one game, meaning that there's about 2-3 goals in the other games. essentially a 2-1 win every match.

Nah, 3-1 Brazil Croatia, 3-0 Mexico Cameroon, 3-1 Chile Australia
Reply 12
I enjoyed the Spain-Holland match. Didn't even watch the other matches.
I always enjoy international more than club
Reply 14
Original post by manchesterunited15
Nah, 3-1 Brazil Croatia, 3-0 Mexico Cameroon, 3-1 Chile Australia

Mexico vs Cameroon was 1-0 and a boring one at that.

I guess Mexico game and the Spain game are outliers though.
Original post by jam278
Mexico vs Cameroon was 1-0 and a boring one at that.

I

3 legitimate goals went in, that's 3-0 to me
CL can't match the WC for entertainment though that's not saying anything about the quality of the WC as you can have an enjoyable game at any level, and you're playing 6 games spaced out over 3 months in the CL which kills the momentum and buzz a bit so I think the WC group stages are better.

In terms of the actual quality of the football, the CL is of a higher standard, how could it not be? The players train together every day so know each other's games better.

I don't think the gulf is as big as is made out though, certainly not past the group stages.
Reply 17
i got spain on the sweepstake....
Reply 18
Don't worry mate, only a few weeks away before you can start watching Chelsea parking the bus again, more your thing :ahee:
Got a tenner on Argentina :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest