The Student Room Group

A* GRADE BOUNDARY PREDICTION POLL JUNE 2014 linear maths

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RG110man
I personally don't feel the grade boundaries will go to 170 unless we're very unlucky. Hopefully I got 172 with working marks, so I should be safe. My gut feeling is that they're going to lower the boundaries to 165/166/167. Of course, like everyone else, I'm purely guessing.

Hoping lower than 165 really just for my own peace of mind rather not just scrape in !!
Original post by JAIYEKO
Edexcel didn't sit the exam? We did. Most people voted 170 (+), and so it conveys that it wasn't really difficult. So grade boubdaries will be something like 172-174

I think we also have to remember that people on tsr are mainly very academic, most of us are aiming for A's and A*'s, so therefore none of us are going to have found it too tricky. For me just a few silly mistakes and wrong answers which probably lost me about 25 marks. We need to remember these boundaries are based on how the whole country performs. I personally think that the fact several expected topics such as: Histograms, cumulative frequency and recurring decimals didn't come up may go in favor of the grade boundaries being dropped. It was also very functional maths, especially the front of the calculator paper, and that's where I know I made the most silly calculation errors.
Reply 22
I think we also have to remember that people on tsr are mainly very academic, most of us are aiming for A's and A*'s, so therefore none of us are going to have found it too tricky. For me just a few silly mistakes and wrong answers which probably lost me about 25 marks. We need to remember these boundaries are based on how the whole country performs. I personally think that the fact several expected topics such as: Histograms, cumulative frequency and recurring decimals didn't come up may go in favor of the grade boundaries being dropped. It was also very functional maths, especially the front of the calculator paper, and that's where I know I made the most silly calculation errors.

There's your A* gone down the landfill site
All you A* students aside you need to think about the lower students who were only aiming for A/B grades like me - let alone the students who were only aiming for C grades.

For us the paper was slightly more difficult than expected. Compared to the past papers, this years was definitely slightly harder. It wasn't so hard that it would be like 150 no, but it wasn't so easy that it would be something as crazy as 170. I'm guessing something average like 160 will be the grade boundary for this year.
Original post by JAIYEKO

Will you shut up and go and get a life please? What an arrogant ****er...saw you posting on the other thread as well thinking you were bloody Pythagoras.
Reply 25
Original post by Aerosmith
Will you shut up and go and get a life please? What an arrogant ****er...saw you posting on the other thread as well thinking you were bloody Pythagoras.

Sorry Pythagoras' is only a C/D grade topic so go and sit down. What about Nevalinnas Theory about meromorphic functions. Shhhhh
Original post by JAIYEKO

May I point out that your attempted insult hasn't worked and has in fact made you look like a bit of an idiot. May I also remind you that when they set the grade boundaries, they set them so a set percentage of people roughly achieve each grade. There is an incentive for the exam board to make themselves look good too. Therefore they will make sure that the top X% of pupils achieve an A*. I find it very hard to believe that the boundary will be above 171/172. However, I agree it may possibly stretch to 170 if the picture across the whole country shows that a large percentage of people found the paper easy.

I personally feel you are just incredibly arrogant. I believe I got around 171 marks give or take a few. And I, like the majority of people on TSR, am not claiming I am the best at maths. We're not all as arrogant as you. I think this is a feeling many people have towards you after some of your more recent obnoxious and arrogant posts. At least if I don't get an A* I know I most definitely am not like you. I actually use this forum as a way of supporting fellow students on TSR, and encouraging them. Maybe you should try doing the same.
Reply 27
May I point out that your attempted insult hasn't worked and has in fact made you look like a bit of an idiot. May I also remind you that when they set the grade boundaries, they set them so a set percentage of people roughly achieve each grade. There is an incentive for the exam board to make themselves look good too. Therefore they will make sure that the top X% of pupils achieve an A*. I find it very hard to believe that the boundary will be above 171/172. However, I agree it may possibly stretch to 170 if the picture across the whole country shows that a large percentage of people found the paper easy.

I personally feel you are just incredibly arrogant. I believe I got around 171 marks give or take a few. And I, like the majority of people on TSR, am not claiming I am the best at maths. We're not all as arrogant as you. I think this is a feeling many people have towards you after some of your more recent obnoxious and arrogant posts. At least if I don't get an A* I know I most definitely am not like you. I actually use this forum as a way of supporting fellow students on TSR, and encouraging them. Maybe you should try doing the same.

Sorry who's the one who got 171/200

Jokes :smile:
Original post by JAIYEKO
Sorry who's the one who got 171/200

Jokes :smile:

I now genuinely understand whether you're trying to be insulting or not. I don't particularly care about how many marks you got. I'm fairly sure not many others do either after some of your recent mindless outbursts.
Original post by BBeyond
I'm reassuring you that you should shut the **** up, you are basing this off your inability to do some of the questions? Just because you panicked in the exam, doesn't mean it was harder.

Can you just shut up, big-headed muppet. I did my exam in November, which was 169 for A*, was much easier than what my friend told me was in the paper for 2014. This is why I predict 161 for A*, from an unbiased standpoint.
Original post by DesignPredator
Can you just shut up, big-headed muppet. I did my exam in November, which was 169 for A*, was much easier than what my friend told me was in the paper for 2014. This is why I predict 161 for A*, from an unbiased standpoint.

Unfortunately there seems to be a handful of big headed people on here, claiming the A* boundary will be 170+. While it's possible I very highly doubt it, and would guess at around 165. It's best to ignore the arrogant people.
Original post by JAIYEKO
Sorry Pythagoras' is only a C/D grade topic so go and sit down. What about Nevalinnas Theory about meromorphic functions. Shhhhh

Stop trolling this forum. I doubt that you're even a GCSE student.
Original post by BBeyond
I'm reassuring you that you should shut the **** up, you are basing this off your inability to do some of the questions? Just because you panicked in the exam, doesn't mean it was harder.

You're a clinical moron. Try and knock some sanity into your system and stop trolling this thread. Clearly the boundaries will be lower than last year - therefore it will be around 160 for an A*, not 170!!

If people on the student room found the papers vaguely difficult in some places then imagine how the whole population did!!

I got 180/200 according to Mr M's mark schemes for the two papers so my viewpoint is totally fair, by the way.
Original post by DesignPredator

So now you're predicting boundaries without even sitting the paper? Jesus Christ it just gets worse and worse ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're a clinical moron. Try and knock some sanity into your system and stop trolling this thread. Clearly the boundaries will be lower than last year - therefore it will be around 160 for an A*, not 170!!

If people on the student room found the papers vaguely difficult in some places then imagine how the whole population did!!

I got 180/200 according to Mr M's mark schemes for the two papers so my viewpoint is totally fair, by the way.

Why do you feel the need to tell me your mark as if it is any good?

I don't care what you got, this thread was made so people could predict what they think the a* mark would be, and I did just that. So I think you need to knock some sanity into your system if you think I'm trolling.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BBeyond

I don't care what you got, this thread was made so people could predict what they think the a* mark would be, and I did just that. So I think you need to knock some sanity into your system if you think I'm trolling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think many of us are trying to explain to you that your prediction is completely biased towards people getting 170+ marks. Try thinking about the whole country rather than just the people who found it easy. You need to take the whole country into consideration, not just X% of people who happened to find it easy.
Original post by BBeyond

Posted from TSR Mobile

180/200 is actually quite good. Hey, it's not as high as I was hoping for but it's still an A*, and will be comfortably over the boundary by some way.

Yeah, we'll see if your wild prediction of 170 is correct on results day.

As in the probability question on the calculator paper, the probability of it being 170 is about 0.064...well ****ing done you small minded human being
(edited 9 years ago)
I think many of us are trying to explain to you that your prediction is completely biased towards people getting 170+ marks. Try thinking about the whole country rather than just the people who found it easy. You need to take the whole country into consideration, not just X% of people who happened to find it easy.

But the ironic thing is you're doing the exact same thing as me. You should consider all the people who found it easy and got 190+

Posted from TSR Mobile
180/200 is actually quite good. Hey, it's not as high as I was hoping for but it's still an A*, and will be comfortably over the boundary by some way.

Yeah, we'll see if your wild prediction of 170 is correct on results day.

As in the probability question on the calculator paper, the probability of it being 170 is about 0.064...well ****ing done you small minded human being

Yeah keep telling everyone your score, maybe eventually you'll find someone who cares.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BBeyond
But the ironic thing is you're doing the exact same thing as me. You should consider all the people who found it easy and got 190+

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not going to argue with you any more. That paper was harder than November 2013 no doubt. The boundaries will likely be lowered for 2 reasons.

1) Boundaries are almost always lower in the big June exam series.
2) The exam was harder than most others.

Why can't you understand that? You seem very dense for a supposedly A* grade student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending