The Student Room Group

Have you ever had your hand luggage weighed in an airport?

This poll is closed

Have you ever had your hand luggage weighed in an airport?

Yes - Recently (Within the last 12 months) 17%
Yes - But more than 12 months ago (please specify time frame) 11%
No - But it's happened to people I know/travelled with 6%
No - It's never happened to me and haven't heard it happen to anyone I know67%
Total votes: 18
Obviously I know they weigh your suitcases but has anyone ever had their hand luggage weighed? If so can you comment under when that was and in what airport. It's never happened to me but I have a 5kg allowance that I think I'll probably be going over (books/can't afford kindle) by a few kg and I worry I'll be put on the spot in the airport.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by revron77
Never have had too.

Where do you travel from? I'm going from Newcastle to Reina Sofía Airport in Tenerife and back again.
If the bag looked big, they did ask me to put it on the belt. (And by big I mean my huge duffle bag that holds shape even when it's half empty) However, it has only happened to me twice and I fly almost every month.
The first time was Air France, Prague to Paris, the second time Lufthansa, Aberdeen to Frankfurt. Curiously, Ryan Air, EasyJet nor WizzAir have ever done it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
I've flown with Ryan Air, BA, American Airlines, Air France and Malaysian and never had my hand luggage weighed or seen it done or heard of it done or seen equipment round about boarding to do it. Airline is probably more relevant than destination. They care more about size, if it's the right size then so long as you haven't filled it with something weird then you aren't likely to be significantly enough over.

5kg is a lower than normal amount though. I just booked a flight with Jet Star (Asia's answer to Ryan Air) and it's 10kg. IIRC Ryan Air is 10kg. Are you sure that's right?
As said above, it needs to fit in the overhead (or under the seat in front) so that's the more important issue. I've never had an issue with weight in hand luggage, and I carry all my camera equipment in there.
Reply 5
Original post by BKS
I've flown with Ryan Air, BA, American Airlines, Air France and Malaysian and never had my hand luggage weighed or seen it done or heard of it done or seen equipment round about boarding to do it. Airline is probably more relevant than destination. They care more about size, if it's the right size then so long as you haven't filled it with something weird then you aren't likely to be significantly enough over.

5kg is a lower than normal amount though. I just booked a flight with Jet Star (Asia's answer to Ryan Air) and it's 10kg. IIRC Ryan Air is 10kg. Are you sure that's right?

I'm going with Thomas Cook and I've checked their hand luggage, definitely 5kg. :l
Reply 6
Original post by Charlottelt
I'm going with Thomas Cook and I've checked their hand luggage, definitely 5kg. :l

I can't help but be cynical with that and think they have it so low to try and catch you out- additional fees is where the money is for cheaper flights. I had a quick google and found a trip advisor thread which suggests Thomas Cook are 50/50 on weighing so I think it may well be about trying to get the fee.

So if I were you I'd be careful of the limit or if you wan to risk it then pack books you don't mind throwing out if they do weigh it. Or see how much stuff you can carry on you- I saw a woman caught with an oversized bag by Ryan Air who did an awesome job of putting enough of her clothes on to get it back to the right size, after take off she took it all back off again.

Do you have a phone that can use the kindle ap?
sometimes, not often, a long time ago though...

If you're over, just pay the fee.
Reply 8
Original post by BKS
I can't help but be cynical with that and think they have it so low to try and catch you out- additional fees is where the money is for cheaper flights. I had a quick google and found a trip advisor thread which suggests Thomas Cook are 50/50 on weighing so I think it may well be about trying to get the fee.

So if I were you I'd be careful of the limit or if you wan to risk it then pack books you don't mind throwing out if they do weigh it. Or see how much stuff you can carry on you- I saw a woman caught with an oversized bag by Ryan Air who did an awesome job of putting enough of her clothes on to get it back to the right size, after take off she took it all back off again.

Do you have a phone that can use the kindle ap?

I really like physical books that you can turn pages on so I'm not going to compromise on those. Plus they're already sitting there bought.
I think they're out for as much money as they can get as the online check in (after which no changes can be made) doesn't open till 48 hours before the flight so it gives you plenty time to pay for luggage upgrades, seats, etc.
I have been trying to plan for "wearing my luggage" so to speak. I have a long cotton maxi dress which I'll be wearing with either a cropped denim jacket or cardigan (or both! look crazy but saves kg), converse and shorts and vest underneath and sunglasses on so that should definitely take some kg out of the case. Will load up my partners pockets with everything that'll fit in them. Just gonna have to be sneaky with it all.
Considered bringing my back pack only half full with about 4kg in and asking a friend to hold a carrier bag that I can pick up after check in and put in the back pack since Newcastle doesn't make you go to security immediately after checking in.
I got checked in Mumbai airport in India when I was coming back to London. Max was 7kg and it was all fine but they're quite stringent in India on weight allowances, anyways.

Maybe just transfer the excess to a rucksack or something? I've always carried a "personal bag" and a small trolley case, that fits in the overhead compartment
they don't usually weigh it. if it looks heavy they'll weigh it though.
Reply 11
I really like physical books that you can turn pages on so I'm not going to compromise on those. Plus they're already sitting there bought.
I think they're out for as much money as they can get as the online check in (after which no changes can be made) doesn't open till 48 hours before the flight so it gives you plenty time to pay for luggage upgrades, seats, etc.
I have been trying to plan for "wearing my luggage" so to speak. I have a long cotton maxi dress which I'll be wearing with either a cropped denim jacket or cardigan (or both! look crazy but saves kg), converse and shorts and vest underneath and sunglasses on so that should definitely take some kg out of the case. Will load up my partners pockets with everything that'll fit in them. Just gonna have to be sneaky with it all.
Considered bringing my back pack only half full with about 4kg in and asking a friend to hold a carrier bag that I can pick up after check in and put in the back pack since Newcastle doesn't make you go to security immediately after checking in.

They could weigh it at the gate, right before you get on the plane. That's where many check size. But otherwise using a carrier bag could be a good plan, you can always get a cheap bag there.
Reply 12
OP, you're seriously over thinking this complete non-issue...
Never had my hand luggage weighed, just had it put into that measuring box thing to see if its not too big or wide.
Obviously I know they weigh your suitcases but has anyone ever had their hand luggage weighed? If so can you comment under when that was and in what airport. It's never happened to me but I have a 5kg allowance that I think I'll probably be going over (books/can't afford kindle) by a few kg and I worry I'll be put on the spot in the airport.

Thanks!

yes at Gatwick last July
Once got it weighted but can't remember for which reason at Stansted Airport :tongue: They usually just ask to fit into the measure thing if they see that your luggage is quite big. Once I flew with WizzAir and saw a man getting a charge because his bag was too big, I mean for me it looked massive :lolwut:

Quick Reply

Latest