The Student Room Group

Postgraduate applicants for 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TeaAndSugar
Thanks! We'll get the first set of results in about December; do you think it's more beneficial to wait for them or apply asap in October?

I suppose there's no straight answer! It's very easy to start fretting about these things ;]

It honestly won't make any difference to your application, as long as you get it in before any deadlines. The best strategy is to apply at a time when you aren't super busy, and have the time to fill out the pointlessly long forms, write a kick-ass PS and badger your referees to submit. This will obviously depend a lot on your uni schedule, project/assignment deadlines etc.

The reason it doesn't make a difference is that whether you apply with your December results or not, your referees will have commented on what they think you will achieve in any case. And it's unlikely that a single extra set of results will make a huge difference unless you're a very borderline case (e.g. you're currently averaging a 58 but the December results will bring you up to a 60). So look at you schedule and try to find a week or two where you won't have much on. I advise doing your applications then. (N.B. Out of all the applications I filled in, Cambridge was by far the longest, most complex, most irritating and generally time-consuming of all the applications. So if you're aiming for Cam, leave a lot of time.)
Original post by ellie.rew
It honestly won't make any difference to your application, as long as you get it in before any deadlines. The best strategy is to apply at a time when you aren't super busy, and have the time to fill out the pointlessly long forms, write a kick-ass PS and badger your referees to submit. This will obviously depend a lot on your uni schedule, project/assignment deadlines etc.

The reason it doesn't make a difference is that whether you apply with your December results or not, your referees will have commented on what they think you will achieve in any case. And it's unlikely that a single extra set of results will make a huge difference unless you're a very borderline case (e.g. you're currently averaging a 58 but the December results will bring you up to a 60). So look at you schedule and try to find a week or two where you won't have much on. I advise doing your applications then. (N.B. Out of all the applications I filled in, Cambridge was by far the longest, most complex, most irritating and generally time-consuming of all the applications. So if you're aiming for Cam, leave a lot of time.)

Thanks so much, that's really helpful. :smile: I'm averaging a first so far so I'll just go for ASAP then.

Best of luck for your own applications!
Thanks! We'll get the first set of results in about December; do you think it's more beneficial to wait for them or apply asap in October?

I suppose there's no straight answer! It's very easy to start fretting about these things ;]

Depends on how pleased you are with your second year results and how much you think your third year ones will benefit! If you have good grades that might drop with third year exams, I'd just apply ASAP. Otherwise, if you have meh grades that might increase with third year exams, I'd wait. Talk to your tutor though :smile:
Original post by punctuation
Depends on how pleased you are with your second year results and how much you think your third year ones will benefit! If you have good grades that might drop with third year exams, I'd just apply ASAP. Otherwise, if you have meh grades that might increase with third year exams, I'd wait. Talk to your tutor though :smile:

Thanks, that makes it a bit clearer. :smile: I think I'll try applying asap, but I'll drop my tutor an email just in case.

Good luck with your applications! :smile:
Thanks, that makes it a bit clearer. :smile: I think I'll try applying asap, but I'll drop my tutor an email just in case.

Good luck with your applications! :smile:

And you :biggrin:
Had a very motivating chat with a potential supervisor in Cambridge, and I've been encouraged to apply for PhDs! So I might do so, with master's elsewhere.
Had a very motivating chat with a potential supervisor in Cambridge, and I've been encouraged to apply for PhDs! So I might do so, with master's elsewhere.

That's awesome! What is your research area?
Original post by Noodlzzz
That's awesome! What is your research area?

Thanks! :smile: Basically it's at the intersection between computational models and clinical neuroscience. Broadly I'd like to work in computational neuroscience so it seemed like a good project for me.
Original post by ellie.rew
If it helps at all, I have a friend who did Latin ab initio at undergrad and he's just finished a masters in Latin in Oxford. I'm not sure exactly which course it was, but it was something to do with Latin poetry, so it's a good chance you'll be fine. E-mail the Classics graduate office though, I'm sure they'll clarify it too.

As long as your e-mail is super enthusiastic, coherent and tone-appropriate, they won't be offended and they definitely won't reject you other than for some super logical reason (e.g. they will be on sabbatical when you're writing your dissertation). My current supervisor is a gigantic cheese, and I was terrified the first time I e-mailed him, but he was lovely and friendly, more than happy to answer all my questions and then I felt even better because the giant cheese said how interesting my ideas were! This cheese metaphor has outlived its gouda-ness (:biggrin:), but as long as you follow the advice above ^^^ and don't send a generic "Dear Prof. Bigname, I am very interested in learning more about Latin literature on a masters course at Oxford. Would you be my supervisor?" e-mail, you'll be fine.

Thanks so much for this! :smile: would you mind me asking where your friend did his undergrad?
Original post by Pyrapika
Thanks so much for this! :smile: would you mind me asking where your friend did his undergrad?

Does anyone know where I can find rankings for universities in terms of postgraduate education please.
Original post by economicsgirl2014
Does anyone know where I can find rankings for universities in terms of postgraduate education please.

I know the Guardian has some rankings for postgraduate education:

http://www.theguardian.com/education/universityguide
Hi everyone,

I will be starting my 4th year of a MSci Physics and Astrophysics in October and have begun to think about where I will be applying for my PhD. Really excited to get started on the application process - I would like to study for a PhD in the cosmology side of astrophysics (probably galaxy clusters/weak gravitational lensing or dark energy research). I currently have averaged 85.3 for 2nd and 3rd year so will probably try for Oxbridge, but I also have been looking at Imperial, UCL, Birmingham (where I am currently) and a few others. Any advice from anyone on how long application generally takes for each uni would be good.
Best of luck to everyone! :biggrin:
Original post by mrppaulo
Any advice from anyone on how long application generally takes for each uni would be good.
Best of luck to everyone! :biggrin:

You mean how long it takes to make the application or hear back?

Thanks, you too!
You mean how long it takes to make the application or hear back?

Thanks, you too!

I meant to make the application, I know that we should expect to hear back January - March time? Cambridge postgraduate courses are open now, so will start that application as soon as.

What are you applying for? Sorry if you've stated this above :P edit: Yep you did :P computational neuroscience sounds incredibly interesting! What kind of research would you do? Modelling neurone interactions in a simulation? (Sorry if that sounds silly I have no idea about the area but it sounds fascinating!)
Cheers
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi everyone!

I'm currently heading into my second year of a part-time MA in English at Sheffield, but plan to apply for PhDs starting 2015. I've narrowed my list of universities for consideration to the following, in no particular order:

University of Birmingham
University of Sheffield
University of Portsmouth
University of Leicester
King's College, London
University of Oxford
I meant to make the application, I know that we should expect to hear back January - March time? Cambridge postgraduate courses are open now, so will start that application as soon as.

What are you applying for? Sorry if you've stated this above :P edit: Yep you did :P computational neuroscience sounds incredibly interesting! What kind of research would you do? Modelling neurone interactions in a simulation? (Sorry if that sounds silly I have no idea about the area but it sounds fascinating!)
Cheers

Ah I see :smile: Well, for applying to a PhD, one has to (a) find an area (b) find potential supervisors (c) contact (and maybe meet) them (d) pick one (e) write a research proposal (f) get references

So, assuming you've done (a) and (b) already, I'd say it will take a week to a month to hash things out with a supervisor (depends on your luck!), writing a research proposal might be another week to a month depending on how well you know the field and how quickly your supervisor replies to emails :tongue: Then references can take a week to a month as well (depending on how quickly they reply to emails too!), but I'd alert them ASAP so they can write references as you're writing your proposal. So minimum a month, maximum three... I'd say.

Cheers

Ah I see :smile: Well, for applying to a PhD, one has to (a) find an area (b) find potential supervisors (c) contact (and maybe meet) them (d) pick one (e) write a research proposal (f) get references

So, assuming you've done (a) and (b) already, I'd say it will take a week to a month to hash things out with a supervisor (depends on your luck!), writing a research proposal might be another week to a month depending on how well you know the field and how quickly your supervisor replies to emails :tongue: Then references can take a week to a month as well (depending on how quickly they reply to emails too!), but I'd alert them ASAP so they can write references as you're writing your proposal. So minimum a month, maximum three... I'd estimate.

:smile: Yep. That is one element of comp neuro (and an element I'm interested in), but the specific project is a bit more 'cognitive' than that - I'll PM you more details so this post doesn't identify me too much!
I also had a really promising meeting with a potential supervisor today!

I had identified an appealing supervisor a couple of months ago but after I met her I realised that she was a really bad fit for me, and it even caused me to rethink what topic I wanted to focus on altogether... so I've adjusted my goal a bit (it's still a similar area, just moving away from one particular topic I was focussing on). Anyway that all made me feel a bit glum and confused about what I wanted to do for a few weeks, but this meeting seems to have reignited my enthusiasm for it all!
Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd say hi as I've been applying for MSc courses in Sports Biomechanics. So far I've received 2 offers (I'm in the middle of a year out after completing my BSc - work & travel before settling down into a career, but my travel is basically networking) and one from my first choice, Loughborough. So YAY!!

I was just wondering if any of you have a clue about the kind of intake numbers these MSc courses have? I'm so excited to be going to Loughborough, and coming from Bath, I am going to have an awesome resume. (Sorry if this sounds humble-bragging, just no one else around me really gets it and I'm bouncing off the ceiling!)

Good luck on your applications - especially the PhD ones, they sound scary.
Looking at SOAS's website and finding out some intensive-language degrees might be suitable for beginners only. Which is a shame, given that I have two years of Arabic (I can choose another language, but availability is another issue...).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending