The Student Room Group

Is biology required at A2?

Hey all,

I got B in my biology as-level, and i really want to drop it, because i know that if i take my other 3 subjects to a-level (chemistry,maths,physics) i'll most probaly get 3 A's at a-level in them.

None of the med schools im applying to need biology at A2, but will i be disadvantaged and not given an offer becuse im dropping it, even though i can get 3 A's at full A2 in my other subjects (also definately going to be given 3 A predictions)?

What do u think?
Reply 1
biology A2 is favoured by not essential at most medical schools....but you'll need to know most of the biology A2 content b4 u enter medicine
Reply 2
Have you considered keeping on all 4 subjects? At least for the time being? You might find you can manage ok.
Reply 3
well,,, i dont really think that ill be able to cope with all four subjects, and my aim really is to drop one. Im just trying to decide which one to drop, and bio is the one i got lowest marks in 234/300, while phyiscs the highest at 288/300.
Another problem is, is that my Chemistry AS Grade is A, but only just by 6 marks. So i dont want to risk taking biology + chemistry and ending up with a B for both of them at A-level.

As long as i get an offer i think i should be able to make the grades.
Reply 4
I think if you don't do A2 Biology, you're gonna have to spent the following summer learnin all the stuff you should've learnt..thought alot of what you learn in biology will come up:s-smilie:
anyone correct me if i'm wrong
Reply 5
hmm, well i dont mind learning the stuuf during my summer.
i just dont want the fact that im not doing biology A2, to afect my chances of getting an offer.
Reply 6
I would advice taking A2 Biology, maybe talk to your teachers about how to improve your mark maybe retaking. While many medical schools don't have biology as one of their entry requirements it doesn't mean that they wouldn't prefer you to have it. To reduce problems later I would recomend biology. As physics is your strongest how about dropping Maths instead?

Latest

Trending

Trending