The Student Room Group

Worried about my grades, could I still do medicine??

I am really worried about my AS grades! I have never had to face failure in my life but after some of these exams (especially maths) I am petrified that it will hinder my chances with medicine!
I did well at GCSE achieving 9 A*'s 2 A's 2 dist*'s and 1 dist, so my GCSE's will cause no problems.
I have found maths really hard this year, and because i have been juggling a job and volunteering I think it has really hindered my grades, but I have no choice as my family have little money and I must work to support myself!
I am probably going to get at worst BBBC and at best AAAB at AS, will this hinder my application to medicine as I have been looking at Keele, Manchester, Liverpool and Lancaster??
if you get BBBC then your school may not predict 3As and it may cast doubt on the prediction. Look at choosing your university carefully to play to your strengths.

Get a job relevant to medicine - working in a care home or as a home carer would help your application and still let you support yourself. Or look for a bank care assistant or NHS admin job..
Reply 2
Original post by Natalierm2707
I am really worried about my AS grades! I have never had to face failure in my life but after some of these exams (especially maths) I am petrified that it will hinder my chances with medicine!
I did well at GCSE achieving 9 A*'s 2 A's 2 dist*'s and 1 dist, so my GCSE's will cause no problems.
I have found maths really hard this year, and because i have been juggling a job and volunteering I think it has really hindered my grades, but I have no choice as my family have little money and I must work to support myself!
I am probably going to get at worst BBBC and at best AAAB at AS, will this hinder my application to medicine as I have been looking at Keele, Manchester, Liverpool and Lancaster??

Don't panic too soon - you may have done much better than you think. But if on results day your grades are poor, you might want to think about a GAP year and just put everything into your academics to turn it around. Even if you do well this year, this might be a good strategy for you as you are clearly worried about being overstretched.You can pick up the vounteering etc in your gap year. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
Reply 3
Original post by HCubed
Don't panic too soon - you may have done much better than you think. But if on results day your grades are poor, you might want to think about a GAP year and just put everything into your academics to turn it around. Even if you do well this year, this might be a good strategy for you as you are clearly worried about being overstretched.You can pick up the vounteering etc in your gap year. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

what would you class as poor grades that is my biggest confusion?
Reply 4
There so many posts concerning your issues.

As discussed in other posts, even if you get bad AS grades you can apply for medicine after your A2 year, so consider taking a gap year. If you apply in yr13 with those AS grades then you won't have much chance in getting an interview at all (medicine is really competitive).
Reply 5
I'm not taking a gap year, I would rather apply this year so at least if I do get in I know what applying to medicine is like, my senior tutor said I will probably get AAAB at worst and I shouldn't stress as much, would AAAB be enough to get into medicine this year??
Reply 6
I'm not taking a gap year, I would rather apply this year so at least if I do get in I know what applying to medicine is like, my senior tutor said I will probably get AAAB at worst and I shouldn't stress as much, would AAAB be enough to get into medicine this year??

AAAB at worst, you'll be fine...
Reply 7

You need to be predicted AAA, this is more important than your actual AS results at virtually every uni (though there are a couple of notable exceptions, so do your research). If you are predicted AAA then there is no reason not to apply this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending