The Student Room Group

Oxford Open Day

Hey,

I was told the earlier I go, the better. So currently, I am Finishing my Year 10 Courses, and I wanted to go visit on the Open day. I realise the colleges are open for touring and there are some admissions talk, however these Tutor sessions, What are involved in these??

Am I too young for these Tutor sessions??

Any Information provided is better than none!
Reply 1
Original post by Xphoenix
I was told the earlier I go, the better.

Somebody done told you wrong! What exactly do you expect to get out of this that you couldn't find out in a couple of years when you actually know what you're planning to do? These open days are really targetted at year 12 students and others who're planning to apply in the upcoming admissions cycle.
Hey,

I was told the earlier I go, the better. So currently, I am Finishing my Year 10 Courses, and I wanted to go visit on the Open day. I realise the colleges are open for touring and there are some admissions talk, however these Tutor sessions, What are involved in these??

Am I too young for these Tutor sessions??

Any Information provided is better than none!

Literally all of the information you receive will be out of date when you apply. You won't even be sitting the same type of a levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I'm not doing A levels so that wouldn't affect me...
Reply 4
Original post by BJack
Somebody done told you wrong! What exactly do you expect to get out of this that you couldn't find out in a couple of years when you actually know what you're planning to do? These open days are really targetted at year 12 students and others who're planning to apply in the upcoming admissions cycle.

I know what I want to do, it's just a matter of what uni etc.
Reply 5
So, Anyone, Who has any other opinions??? I will feed you a forum later, as well as a few of my mate (who are going to Oxford) which says go as early as possible.
So, Anyone, Who has any other opinions??? I will feed you a forum later, as well as a few of my mate (who are going to Oxford) which says go as early as possible.

Are you sure you didn't misunderstand i.e. they were saying you should go early in the day, as opposed to two whole years early?! Because i literally cannot see one advantage of going to an open day in year 10.

Why did these people say it was a good idea?
Reply 7
Original post by nexttime
Are you sure you didn't misunderstand i.e. they were saying you should go early in the day, as opposed to two whole years early?! Because i literally cannot see one advantage of going to an open day in year 10.

Why did these people say it was a good idea?

Most people go at the end of Y12 / beginning of Y13. However, there's nothing to stop you going in Y10. In fact, universities quite like it when students are thinking ahead - very often we see students who scuppered their own chances of getting into a particular uni / course because they didn't get the right advice and so did things like choosing a BTEC and then wanting to study medicine. There's a good reason why many universities start working with kids as young as Y6.

However, at this stage you're going to be using open days in a slightly different way to the sixth formers there. They're trying narrow down which course at which universities they want to apply to in a matter of weeks.

You should be going there to
- see what a university is like
- explore some different subject areas. You can study anything that you study at school now, but there are lots of new subjects available - politics, engineering, anthropology, linguistics, Middle Eastern studies, Japanese, biomedical science, physiotherapy.... the list goes on. On an open day, there will be a talk for each subject offered at that particular university, so you can go along to find out what new subjects are all about
- have something to aim for
- find out what qualifications, subjects and grades you need for different subjects (bearing in mind that these requirements will vary from uni to uni)
- talk to some current students and find out what uni life is like
- see where students live (i.e. have a look at the halls)

So, because you're not really trying to pick out a particular university, there's no need to travel a long way. If you were, for instance, from Birmingham then visiting Warwick would be entirely reasonable, but Edinburgh would be a little excessive until you're a bit further down the line.

Overall you should visit all the unis that you want to apply for, but for now there's no need to go to more than one or two unless you really want to.
Xphoenix
Most people go at the end of Y12 / beginning of Y13. However, there's nothing to stop you going in Y10. In fact, universities quite like it when students are thinking ahead - very often we see students who scuppered their own chances of getting into a particular uni / course because they didn't get the right advice and so did things like choosing a BTEC and then wanting to study medicine. There's a good reason why many universities start working with kids as young as Y6.

Very true, but that's all information available online, or at the very least by e-mailing universities. That's not really a reason to visit.

I can see why a university might say that - they want you to be as dedicated as possible to university applications. From your perspective as an applicant though, visiting a university to get some basic information is definitely excessive.

However, at this stage you're going to be using open days in a slightly different way to the sixth formers there. They're trying narrow down which course at which universities they want to apply to in a matter of weeks.

You should be going there to
- see what a university is like
- explore some different subject areas. You can study anything that you study at school now, but there are lots of new subjects available - politics, engineering, anthropology, linguistics, Middle Eastern studies, Japanese, biomedical science, physiotherapy.... the list goes on. On an open day, there will be a talk for each subject offered at that particular university, so you can go along to find out what new subjects are all about
- have something to aim for
- find out what qualifications, subjects and grades you need for different subjects (bearing in mind that these requirements will vary from uni to uni)
- talk to some current students and find out what uni life is like
- see where students live (i.e. have a look at the halls)

So, because you're not really trying to pick out a particular university, there's no need to travel a long way. If you were, for instance, from Birmingham then visiting Warwick would be entirely reasonable, but Edinburgh would be a little excessive until you're a bit further down the line.

Overall you should visit all the unis that you want to apply for, but for now there's no need to go to more than one or two unless you really want to.

Those are all valid reasons, but they are all pretty weak to be honest with you. I mean, see what uni life is like? See where students live? Unless some of those reasons are particularly relevant to you, e.g. you're torn between physics and history a-level and want to see what an engineering department is like, i'd still say don't bother. Open days really aren't tailored to year 10s.

Having said that, there is also no reason why you can't go if you really want. To answer your question: tutors sessions are most likely meeting with a tutor in the subject you're interested in who can talk about the specific course and admissions process. Precise arrangements will vary by college. I highly doubt they will ban you from attending because you're young.

Be ready for lots of looks of surprise when you well people you're in year 10 - in my experience perhaps 5% of people are in year 11, i've seen two year 13s who have already been accepted, but i've never seen a year 10 before in the 9 college open days i've helped at.
(edited 9 years ago)
Definitely not now, year 10 is way too early. year 12 is when you're supposed to go, and you would be taking one of their places. also all the info will be out of date by the time you apply
Reply 10
i've never seen a year 10 before in the 9 college open days i've helped at.

We had one at Magdalen a couple of years ago but they were slightly confused about what "college" meant in the Oxford sense and they were looking for somewhere to take their A levels.... :s-smilie:
Original post by BJack
We had one at Magdalen a couple of years ago but they were slightly confused about what "college" meant in the Oxford sense and they were looking for somewhere to take their A levels.... :s-smilie:

That must have been a very awkward conversation!
Anyone assisting at the open days this year?

Original post by Lucilou101
That must have been a very awkward conversation!

You get quite a lot of people turning up to your college, sometimes sounding really enthusiastic about research they've done, only to say they're interested in a subject not offered there.

You also get people saying they're interested in courses that don't exist e.g. 'economics'.

And then there's the completely under-qualified people who you have to tell they don't stand much chance. Much harder than doing it on here!
(edited 9 years ago)
Anyone assisting at the open days this year?

You get quite a lot of people turning up to your college, sometimes sounding really enthusiastic about research they've done, only to say they're interested in a subject not offered there.

You also get people saying they're interested in courses that don't exist e.g. 'economics'.

And then there's the completely under-qualified people who you have to tell they don't stand much chance. Much harder than doing it on here!

I don't know why but I really struggle to understand how people can just go to open days or apply to universities with such little research!

I know people who didn't even know about written work requirements until the last minute!
I know I do way too much research but I'd expect people to do at least the basics :frown:
I agree with the others...going in yr10 is pointless. The information available now will be out of date by the time you're applying. Tbh, the open day (and I'm presuming you're talking about the July one next week) is meant for people in my year (current yr12) who are the next batch to be applying to university. Don't bother wasting your time, honestly.
Year 10 is certainly early for open days, but it's not that early - there will be plenty of year 11s around next week.

Thinking earlier about university, especially thinking about which subject/course you want to study, is certainly not a bad thing.
Reply 16
Original post by fluteflute
Year 10 is certainly early for open days, but it's not that early - there will be plenty of year 11s around next week.

Thinking earlier about university, especially thinking about which subject/course you want to study, is certainly not a bad thing.

Yeah, I'm torn between two courses, right now; Law, and Economics and Management. It's just cause I finished school, and don't have much to do other than read and visit Unis I want to go to. I was told to start as early as possible, to make a shortlist before year 12, and before you write your personal statement, so that you can re-visit with a different criteria, after you visited physically.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending