The Student Room Group

Giving her a leaving card- bad idea?

It's a little bit of a long one, but I'll really appreciate it if you can read it. I'll rep helpful answers! Thanks :smile:

Girl I like leaves on Saturday to return to France (she's been here on a gap year).
She wanted to stay for another year but the place where she was interning went bust, and it just hasn't worked out.

We dated just twice for months ago, then when it became clear she was going to leave, she seemed more hesitant and reluctant to date, so we kinda came to a natural stop.

Things weren't awkward at all, we still saw a lot of each other and became closer friends. We still click and still get on, more now than ever.

So I got this leaving card for her.
It's not a love letter at all, it's just a 'friendly' letter.

I basically just say it was nice meeting her and getting to know her, thanks for some help she gave me, saying that I'll miss her and miss things about her, and then wish her luck in the future.
Halfway through I quoted a verse from her favourite song that sums up our friendship.
That's pretty much it.

I suppose I've got a bit of last minute hesitation about giving it to her.
Would it be too soppy? Have I misjudged our friendship, have I place more importance on it? I'm supposed I'm paranoid that she'll think its a bit strange and OTT?

Thoughts?
well it all depends, did she actually touch your thingy - if she did, then she certainly deserves a card. if not and shes just a friend leaving to another country, i dont really see the point, just man up- a firm handshake will do maybe a hug. you can alway chat her on facebook after
Reply 2
Original post by Meenglishnogood
well it all depends, did she actually touch your thingy - if she did, then she certainly deserves a card. if not and shes just a friend leaving to another country, i dont really see the point, just man up- a firm handshake will do maybe a hug. you can alway chat her on facebook after

Ha, nope.
She's a close friend though, and everyone has been getting cards for her, so it's not like the act of giving a card is unusual?
Relax, just give it to her, you wouldn't of written it unless you didn't want to say it to her :smile:

The song verse in the card is a sweet touch too, it'll definitely show her that you remember things about her.

Fingers crossed you stay good friends, even with the distance :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Ha, nope.
She's a close friend though, and everyone has been getting cards for her, so it's not like the act of giving a card is unusual?

if someone is leaving a job or something, i have seen it, but even the its a girl buying the card, i can honestly say i have never heard of a man buying a leaving card fro a friend
Original post by abs-the-orange
Relax, just give it to her, you wouldn't of written it unless you didn't want to say it to her :smile:

The song verse in the card is a sweet touch too, it'll definitely show her that you remember things about her.

I agree here :yep:
Yeah go for it! I don't see a problem with giving someone a leaving card, and you've said you're close friends, so I don't think there's anything odd about it - don't overthink it! :smile:
I think it's a really good idea and what you said you've written seems really nice and sentimental. I'm sure she will love it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Meenglishnogood
if someone is leaving a job or something, i have seen it, but even the its a girl buying the card, i can honestly say i have never heard of a man buying a leaving card fro a friend

Surely leaving the country for good is a better reason than 'new job'?
Reply 9
Original post by abs-the-orange

Original post by MyName??!
I agree here :yep:

Original post by bumblebee342
Yeah go for it! I don't see a problem with giving someone a leaving card, and you've said you're close friends, so I don't think there's anything odd about it - don't overthink it! :smile:

Original post by littlesocksx
I think it's a really good idea and what you said you've written seems really nice and sentimental. I'm sure she will love it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I suppose I'm just worried she'll think I'm a bit soppy, or think 'hmm we aren't that close'.
Maybe I'm just overthinking it, like I was at the whole 'does she like me'/'should I ask her out'/'will she say yes' stage...
Yeah I suppose I'm just worried she'll think I'm a bit soppy, or think 'hmm we aren't that close'.
Maybe I'm just overthinking it, like I was at the whole 'does she like me'/'should I ask her out'/'will she say yes' stage...

Yeah me thinks you're over thinking it too :smile: Just give her the card :tongue:
Surely leaving the country for good is a better reason than 'new job'?

well personaly i dont even think giving a card to someone going to antoher job is necessarry either, but as i said its usually females that actually buy that card.
Reply 12
Either she likes it and thinks its sweet, perhaps even invites you to meet her in Paris- the city of love, or it'll be awkward but she'll be moving back to France anyway.

You have nothing to lose! :smile:
Reply 13
Just do it bro. Better to live life regretting doing something than forever wondering what if and regretting not :smile:
Original post by Bobbi!
Either she likes it and thinks its sweet, perhaps even invites you to meet her in Paris- the city of love, or it'll be awkward but she'll be moving back to France anyway.

You have nothing to lose! :smile:

Ha, well she's from Bordeaux, but I get your point...but doubt that would happen!

Yeah I'm literally handing her the card the last time I see her, so things can't be awkward between us in person.
I just don't want her to remember me on one last awkward note, if that makes sense?
Original post by Keoje
Just do it bro. Better to live life regretting doing something than forever wondering what if and regretting not :smile:

Yeah suppose that's true...and I'll never see her so it can't be awkward :tongue:
Just a bump before I do this later :smile:
Final bump, answers much appreciated...
Do iiiit! There's not really anything to lose :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending