The Student Room Group

Failed Second Year, help

Second Year Mathematics. I failed my first year but I was able to re-sit and I did really well in the re-sits. Calculus went from 26 to 58, similar marks in others. Most of the work was in the week before I went and cramming during the re-sit week. I'm really good with last-minute cramming, I can make a big difference with cramming.
But now I've totally failed this year. I didn't go to 3 of 4 January exams, got 20 in the one I went to, and they were all only 40/120 credits, I went to all the summer ones and only got 30 in one, failed the other three. I completely deserve it and I'm not after sympathy or life lessons, I just want to know what I can do, what I can say to the Special Cases Committee. No mitigating circumstances applied. I'm being offered a Certificate in Higher Education to prove I passed first year, which won't be worth the paper it comes on.
Below is everything I can think of, I'm just desperate now, I CANNOT fail, I don't think I could cope with it. I absolutely need to re-sit 7/8 exams.

I can do it, I know I can learn enough of it sufficiently well in time for the re-sits. I've been living with my ex-boyfriend of 3 weeks who dumped me on Valentine's day last year with 'how about just friends?' and the next day invited me to live with him this year which I didn't really have a choice about. He turned out to be really, really weird, one of those cunning, deceitful, manipulative subtly-bullying people, dealing with him was hard and he's on the same course as me, he was very off-putting and distracting. I'm gay so I could play that card
Original post by Jimmy-cc
Second Year Mathematics. I failed my first year but I was able to re-sit and I did really well in the re-sits. Calculus went from 26 to 58, similar marks in others. Most of the work was in the week before I went and cramming during the re-sit week. I'm really good with last-minute cramming, I can make a big difference with cramming.
But now I've totally failed this year. I didn't go to 3 of 4 January exams, got 20 in the one I went to, and they were all only 40/120 credits, I went to all the summer ones and only got 30 in one, failed the other three. I completely deserve it and I'm not after sympathy or life lessons, I just want to know what I can do, what I can say to the Special Cases Committee. No mitigating circumstances applied. I'm being offered a Certificate in Higher Education to prove I passed first year, which won't be worth the paper it comes on.
Below is everything I can think of, I'm just desperate now, I CANNOT fail, I don't think I could cope with it. I absolutely need to re-sit 7/8 exams.

I can do it, I know I can learn enough of it sufficiently well in time for the re-sits. I've been living with my ex-boyfriend of 3 weeks who dumped me on Valentine's day last year with 'how about just friends?' and the next day invited me to live with him this year which I didn't really have a choice about. He turned out to be really, really weird, one of those cunning, deceitful, manipulative subtly-bullying people, dealing with him was hard and he's on the same course as me, he was very off-putting and distracting. I'm gay so I could play that card

On a practical note you need to consider student finance because they only pay for your course + 1 year so even if your uni did let you do second year again, you would have to fund it yourself. I'm not sure about your uni but at mine, mitigating circumstances have to be applied for well in advance, and we were only allowed one resit year. If we'd done a resit year the uni wouldn't let us do another one. So for starters you need to find out your uni's policy on this and consider financing.
Reply 2
You could say 'I'm an idiot who does no work and doesn't turn up for exams. I'll stop wasting your time and taxpayers money' and then start looking for work?
Reply 3
Original post by Pariah
You could say 'I'm an idiot who does no work and doesn't turn up for exams. I'll stop wasting your time and taxpayers money' and then start looking for work?

This. It's hard to be sympathetic when the university has given you previous chances. Also playing the gay card is really your best attempt at convincing the university to accept you back? Really?

Quick Reply

Latest