The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Correction, a forum full of lawyers with nothing better to do than analyse my posts... get a job you bums!

LOL..it seems like you're in here the most judging from the number of your posts
(edited 11 years ago)
How can you say uni should be open to everyone. I, once again possess extremely controversial views on this matter. I believe that only 25% of the population should attend uni, the top students. Look at the figures which say that 1/3 graduates doesn't have a graduate job. Why is this? Because they study worthless rubbish like media studies which gets you nowhere. Why open uni up to everyone when it gives 3 years worth of debt, 3 years of wasted time (you could have a bigger earning job 3 years down the line if you entered the employment market) and to top it all off 3 years of those huge tuition fees now (which should really ahve come under debt, sorry). Well ... thats my view. That people who won't benefit from uni should be actively discouraged from attendance. However, this wont happen as the govt strives to send 100% of ppl to further education as this MUST mean our govt has succeeded... even if they are just wasting their time at uni.

Also, in reference to my post count I browse this website while doing work at my desk ... which I do for most of the day atm since its term time.
Reply 63
So you have a "job" or at least work since it's term time for you and you still are on studentroom a lot. Now why would you say "Correction, a forum full of lawyers with nothing better to do than analyse my posts... get a job you bums!" What difference does it make having a job or not? =)
It doesn't I was talking crap.
Reply 65
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Also, on vac scheme because I was able to do this I finished all my work that the department could gather for me, was out the office by 5:15 every day and was told that my work was outstanding, whereas some of my vac scheme colleagues couldn't handle the workload, were in the office till 10, and still got criticised/not as high praise as I received. My ability to get my head around problems quickly and solve them was of far superior value to a firm than those who take hours to do it. Why? Because you can get more work done quicker, and tahts exactly what I did. And thats why they phoned me up today (in Singapore) and offered me a TC for 2009, however ... I wont be accepting because the offer only stays open for one week and I want to experience some other firms first.

I'm a bit confused/surprised by this. Can I ask who your vac scheme was with/TC offer was from?

First, offers of training contracts are not to be made to undergrads before 1 Sept in their final year of study. By my reckoning, you're either about to start your final year or the penultimate year of a four year degree, no?

Secondly, TC offers are to remain open for at least four weeks.

Thirdly, TC offers are to be made in writing, not just over the phone.

So, either the firm which made the offer is in breach of the Law Society Code of Practice (in which case you should be on the phone to them asap requesting an offer in formal terms) or your post was....ummm... a little exaggerated. Which is it?

Also, its a little disingenuous to be saying "I have a first" when you haven't actually finished your degree yet. No doubt your grades to date will get you there but don't go holding yourself out as someone who has actually got a first.

Chalks
Sorry perhaps I should clarify ... they phoned me up and said that they intended to make me an offer and I think they said it would stay open for only one week ... but it may have been longer.

Yea, I probably shouldn't say that ... but hey, I have a habit of bigging myself up a little :biggrin:! Plus I am confident (not arrogant) that I will achieve one.
chriswhit
Here we see the value of choosing ones words wisely, and perhaps that of adopting a little more considered or measured view before one posts?:smile: But then, as a first class honours student Lewis, maybe you already know this?:smile:

Where has this come from? It has been mentioned in several posts...? I was under the impression that you have yet to complete the LLB Lewis?

EDIT: didn't realise there was a 4th page to this thread which clarified that you have yet to finish your degree!
No problem, happens to the best of us ...
Reply 69
Sorry to ahve contributed to the confusion - i took 'first class honours student' in that sense to mean someone who was performing at that level. Probably something i've personally adopted from Cambridge when we used to say someone "had got a first/2:1/whatever" in the results they had from the previous year..
Reply 70
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Sorry perhaps I should clarify ... they phoned me up and said that they intended to make me an offer and I think they said it would stay open for only one week ... but it may have been longer.

But that still doesn't get away from the fact that a firm shouldn't be making you a TC offer unless you're about to start your final year of study. My understanding is that you're about to start the third year of a four year course?

I assume you haven't had any interviews with this firm or the like? Just the vac scheme?

So, did you simply tell them not to bother sending you the offer when they phoned you in Singapore?
Hmmm my understanding of law soc rules was that they could make offers after second year of undergrad study ... but perhaps I am wrong. But yeah, no interviews ... just vac scheme... and yeah they phoned me up said "we are going to make you an offer will you accept" and my response was "I cant commit now, I need to look round more firms". I dont know much about the law soc rules im afraid.

Latest

Trending

Trending