The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well I've got a first draft done but at the moment, its about 100 words over the limit. If you're having trouble writing it, its because you're trying to get it perfect on your first attempt. Just plan it out first of all, and think of what you want to include, and just write it, ignoring the fact that it doesn't sound at all what you want it to sound like. Perhaps you could plan out what you want to include in each paragraph, and leave the most important paragraphs (Opening, Conclusion) for the end. It then becomes much easier to read over it, editing one part, removing the other, moving that around, making it flow more etc.
Hope that helps.
Reply 2
I haven't had much trouble writing it. It all just seemed to appear on the page when i finally sat down to write it.

I've been thinking about it on and off for several years.

Good luck with your app mate.

mk
man, im in the same shoes as you

:-(
Reply 4
i've written random bits.. didnt start at the beginning.. started in the middle cuz its easier for me.. im aimin to get a draft by tomorrow or Weds.. i really wanna get it out the way!
Reply 5
i went over mine ****loads, 16ish drafts and had to do it in a few days because i left it wayyy too late (its bloody good though~and no u cant have it :smile: )...give yourself lots of time and start now!
Reply 6
I'm tweaking my one from last year. You've got plenty of time yet; most unis say that all applications received by the 15th of October are given the same 'weight', no matter what time they applied. You won't be late until the deadline is up basically. :biggrin:
Reply 7
When can we start applying?

(when i first saw Oct 15th, i was like 'whoo that soon' then i realised that September is still there...)
Reply 8
From Sept 1st.. til Oct 15th
..didnt get anythin done today :frown: im so crap!
Reply 9
does it have to be 4000 characters or 47 lines or both
Reply 10
im jus draftin right now and i cant think of anything are there any websites put there. can sum1 pm or sumet.
Reply 11
It's a good idea to at least be a lot of the way there with your ps by the time school starts, IMHO - my other friends who were applying got rather stressed trying to write it and get it done and checked by teachers (especially considering the Biology A-level field trip at my school was at the end of September!).
write a few paragraph headings, and list underneath as a brainstorm anything and everything you could possibly include in each paragraph.
then pick the best parts and start formating them into sentences.
leave beginning and end till last.
i started by explaining what my work experience has taught me.
hope that helps people start anyway!
Reply 13
This time last year I hadn't began writing my personal statement... I did about 10 drafts of it in the space of 2 weeks. What I did was keep a log of everything I did in a book; and when it came to personal statement time I wrote one, which turned out to be crap after a teacher and a friend at medical school read it. (I thought it was okay... so accept critisism!) I kept condensing and improving on it until I was absolutely satisfied it was perfect... it worked, got 4 offers :biggrin:
I am planing what to write atm but im finding it hard to actualy write it.
Reply 15
Optimistic
Well I've got a first draft done but at the moment, its about 100 words over the limit.

What is the limit?:confused: :redface:
Synergetic
What is the limit?:confused: :redface:

As far as I know the limit is 47 lines or 4000 characters, whichever is shorter.

I started mine but its waaay too long....like double the length it should be. I've been trying to cut it but there's so much stuff I want to put in. I spose everyone has the same problem.I'm leaving the begining and ending till last because they're going to be quite hard to do.
Reply 17
Marvi
As far as I know the limit is 47 lines or 4000 characters, whichever is shorter.

I started mine but its waaay too long....like double the length it should be. I've been trying to cut it but there's so much stuff I want to put in. I spose everyone has the same problem.I'm leaving the begining and ending till last because they're going to be quite hard to do.

I wish I had your problem. I'm struggling to fill mine up. I've done something like 55 lines, but only 3400 characters (think that shows the quality of my vocab - no big words at all) :cool:
I've started mine, but I'm finding it really hard to write. I really want to get a decent draft done before school starts...

It seems to be one of those things you convince yourself you'll begin really early and be awfully efficient on, but once it gets to it, you 'need' to clean your bedroom, the bathroom, start that chemistry...etc :p:
Reply 19
LouisaG
I've started mine, but I'm finding it really hard to write. I really want to get a decent draft done before school starts...

It seems to be one of those things you convince yourself you'll begin really early and be awfully efficient on, but once it gets to it, you 'need' to clean your bedroom, the bathroom, start that chemistry...etc :p:

Haha yeh exactly the same, I told myself I'd have it all finished weeks ago, but then I catch site of the TV again...

Latest

Trending

Trending