The Student Room Group

can anyone help me with my personal statement for econ bsc?

Hi, I am applying for econ at Warwick, Bath, LSE, UCL and Bristol.

Predicted grades are A*A*A*A (maths, econ, physics, fm)
GCSES - 9999888866 (two 6's in english)

I am finding it hard to write my personal statement and just think I need a few pointers here and there. I'm not the best at writing and as courses like lse place a huge importance on the PS I want to make sure it's good.

Would anyone be able to give me some tips? Thanks!

Also, will the 6's in english gcse make me look not as strong of a candidate?
Original post by Tommy24865
Hi, I am applying for econ at Warwick, Bath, LSE, UCL and Bristol.

Predicted grades are A*A*A*A (maths, econ, physics, fm)
GCSES - 9999888866 (two 6's in english)

I am finding it hard to write my personal statement and just think I need a few pointers here and there. I'm not the best at writing and as courses like lse place a huge importance on the PS I want to make sure it's good.

Would anyone be able to give me some tips? Thanks!

Also, will the 6's in english gcse make me look not as strong of a candidate?

I sent off my application a month ago for Bsc Econ to 4 of the same unis you're applying to.
PM me and I can defo help and give advice.

As for the 6, are they in both English Lang and Lit?
Please don’t send your PS to unverified strangers online.
TSR has a confidential PS review service. You can find out more in the stuck threads at the top of the PS advice forum
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Please don’t send your PS to unverified strangers online.
TSR has a confidential PS review service. You can find out more in the stuck threads at the top of the PS advice forum

Thank you I will check this out
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by jobajojoba
I sent off my application a month ago for Bsc Econ to 4 of the same unis you're applying to.
PM me and I can defo help and give advice.

As for the 6, are they in both English Lang and Lit?

So you've done all of your applications - wow! Got any offers?

Yes in both lit and lang
Original post by Tommy24865
So you've done all of your applications - wow! Got any offers?

Yes in both lit and lang

Unfortunately the unis I've applied to usually don't give out offers until after the equal consideration deadline in January, and so they haven't started sending offers out yet (Have seen a few LSE Econ rejections tho already). But hopefully soon come.

The 6 in Lit won't be too detrimental, but ik LSE do ask for a 6 in Lang as a requirement which is fine for you, but most successful applicants would probably have a grade that exceeds that. But with an incredibly strong PS to compensate, you should still be in a good position, if not better than other candidates, since you already have top predicted grades and have taken FM. These top unis largely want majority A* at GCSE which you have, since they don't really differentiate between an 8 and a 9. For LSE however, a 9 in GCSE Maths is pretty necessary which I assume you have.

As for your statement, the admin above is defintely correct and you shouldn't really share your PS to strangers on the internet - but I personally would defo be happy to just give you some general advice and some topics you can reference and talk about, and the type of things that are seen in a successful applicant's statement, and also maybe share the topics I mentioned in mine as a reference point. You're probably in your drafting stage, but these top unis especially LSE/UCL absolutely scrutinise your PS, so there's a checklist and a bunch of things that they like to see in a PS which you should tick off. Especially with LSE, they have some niche things they look for, and that a PS that is tailored to them. I'll therefore be happy to give some tips (maybe on the topics you're thinking of putting in) without you actually sharing your PS.
Reply 6
Original post by upthechels
hiya! i just applied for econ and had help from a couple PS tutors, if you message me i can send you the advise they gave me!

Can't you just post it on this thread?
Reply 7
Original post by jobajojoba
Unfortunately the unis I've applied to usually don't give out offers until after the equal consideration deadline in January, and so they haven't started sending offers out yet (Have seen a few LSE Econ rejections tho already). But hopefully soon come.

The 6 in Lit won't be too detrimental, but ik LSE do ask for a 6 in Lang as a requirement which is fine for you, but most successful applicants would probably have a grade that exceeds that. But with an incredibly strong PS to compensate, you should still be in a good position, if not better than other candidates, since you already have top predicted grades and have taken FM. These top unis largely want majority A* at GCSE which you have, since they don't really differentiate between an 8 and a 9. For LSE however, a 9 in GCSE Maths is pretty necessary which I assume you have.

As for your statement, the admin above is defintely correct and you shouldn't really share your PS to strangers on the internet - but I personally would defo be happy to just give you some general advice and some topics you can reference and talk about, and the type of things that are seen in a successful applicant's statement, and also maybe share the topics I mentioned in mine as a reference point. You're probably in your drafting stage, but these top unis especially LSE/UCL absolutely scrutinise your PS, so there's a checklist and a bunch of things that they like to see in a PS which you should tick off. Especially with LSE, they have some niche things they look for, and that a PS that is tailored to them. I'll therefore be happy to give some tips (maybe on the topics you're thinking of putting in) without you actually sharing your PS.

Yeah i just feel like my PS is not good enough atm and i need help with actual writing of it.
But it sounds like you know what you are talking about with regards to the PS, so I would love to hear your tips. will you post them here? Thanks again
Reply 8
Original post by Sinnoh
Can't you just post it on this thread?

it’s very long but i can if you want!
Reply 9
Original post by upthechels
it’s very long but i can if you want!

please, would be helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending