The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Paranoia about the accommodation application

Anyone else paranoid about making some completely negligible slip-up on the application form for the accommodation, and then receiving it in the post a few days later saying "you made a grave mistake here, oh, and here, and so you'll have to start over and will naturally be getting the broom cupboard. Sorry, tough s***." (or words to that effect).

I assume you don't specify a college. I've read it thoroughly, and it's apparent that you only specify whether you want a room in college, or whatever ... but have I missed something? Say you looked at the photos, etc., and thought "hmm, Alcuin college looks very attractive" - you can't actually scribble down "Alcuin" or "Derwent," or whatnot, anywhere, can you? I assume it's the luck of the draw.
Reply 1
Its true, it is the luck of the draw as to what you get, but dont worry you will love it anyways. You can only specify a certain college if you have a REALLY good reason eg. I need to live in James becasue i am doing psychology and i have trouble walking.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Yes, you can do that, but in the same way everyone is going to ask for specific colleges. They will ask you for a doctors letter, and frankly, I am not sure as to whether your demands will be satisfied in the end or not.
Its hard to mess up the accomodation form, as long as you get it sent back in time there won't be a problem.
Reply 4
I'm paranoid as to whether they'll be able to open the envelope I sent the form in. It wasn't sealing properly, so I used some liquid Uhu glue to seal it... only it came out much faster than I expected. Um, so one end of the envelope was a soggy mess when it went into the letterbox.
lufiaguy
I'm paranoid as to whether they'll be able to open the envelope I sent the form in. It wasn't sealing properly, so I used some liquid Uhu glue to seal it... only it came out much faster than I expected. Um, so one end of the envelope was a soggy mess when it went into the letterbox.

Hahaha, don't worry about that too much I'm sure they'll cope!

I haven't even received all those accomodation application forms from the university yet. I'm fairly certain that I forgot to tell them and UCAS that I moved house, but hopefully all these letters I'm supposed to have will turn up soon...
Reply 6
lufiaguy

hahaha, dont worry, the worst thing that can happen is that they will get annoyed because you gave them a tough time, and will try to take revenge by putting you in the worst room in campus.
I suspect if it is illegible they would ring you to fill in the details.
Reply 8
It'll be fine! At leaset (whatever that is....least.)we'll be there!
I'm concerned that I haven't received the accommodation application forms yet - to be fair I only accepted my offer on the 22nd August, but with a deadline looming I fully expect to end up with the most rubbish accommodation there is.
Reply 10
helenfunkyhelen
I'm concerned that I haven't received the accommodation application forms yet - to be fair I only accepted my offer on the 22nd August, but with a deadline looming I fully expect to end up with the most rubbish accommodation there is.

I wouldn't worry if I were you... I mean there are also the clearing bunch which still haven't even get a reference number, and all those oversees people so I don't think that your definetly gonna get the bad accommodation...
Reply 11
I am one of those unfortunate overseas people with no accommodation yet. Which frankly, is ridiculous considering I've had an accepted unconditional offer for nearly 2 months. I was told that I would be allocated immediately, but apparently someone in charge of undergraduate accommodation *coughPhilProssercough* went on vacation or whatever and is now behind. I called him last week and asked (harassed) him when I would be getting my contract as I leave in about 2 weeks and I was told they were doing it that day. Did I mention York seems incredibly unorganized? Either way, it better get here tonight or the accommodations office *coughPhilProssercough* will be getting another call.
Anthony Arundel
Anyone else paranoid about making some completely negligible slip-up on the application form for the accommodation, and then receiving it in the post a few days later saying "you made a grave mistake here, oh, and here, and so you'll have to start over and will naturally be getting the broom cupboard. Sorry, tough s***." (or words to that effect).

I haven't had *that* nightmare... though I did have an awful thought someone might blow up or set fire to the letterbox I posted it into... *blushes*

If that actually *did* happen, would the uni ring to say they hadn't received the pack? Argh I'm such a worrier... but luckily so are others on this site hee hee :biggrin:
Reply 13
Lol, took me ages to answer some of the questions on the form! Like, foe example: do you prefer to live in a quiet area? I couldn't decide whether that would be a good thing or if it might mean you'd be put in some of the accomodation miles from anywhere etc...

Glad to see I'm not the only one obsessing slightly!
Reply 14
If you are going to mess up the form should you be at york? Its not that hard.

On a more serious note, its completely random, although I lied on my form and got into Alcuin as I said I was a keen cyclist and needed somewhere to store my expensive training bike. Worked a treat.
I haven't heard from the accomodation people yet! Although I did only send off my forma few days ago :redface:

Guess i'll be in a broom cupboard too!

Latest