The Student Room Group

What the hell am I supposed to do?

I'm freaking out. I don't know what to do. I'm seriously unstable.

So I do English Language and Creative Writing BA Combined Honours. I loved the Creative Writing aspect and passed with flying colours, however I was really unhappy with English Language. it was nothing like I was told it would be in the introductory seminars and I failed.

I had spoken to a few people, students and staff, and was told that if I really hated it, I could switch to English Literature the following year. I'd have to start that in first year but I could continue with Creative Writing as a second year.

When I found out about my Language results, I contacted the English Admin asking if I could switch and I was told to re-do English language but if I wanted to switch to Lit, I'd have to re-do everything. The whole year. All of Creative Writing too.

I am fuming. I was told that I could carry on with Creative Writing. All that work just void, down the drain?! I feel cheated. Not to mention I feel like a bloody failure for failing English in the first place. And it doesn't help that everyone told me all year 'you'll be fine, it's really hard to fail first year.' Thanks. That really ****ing helps, doesn't it? I'm panicking. I don't want to start the whole thing again. I feel humiliated enough. Now I'm just sat in my room crying because nothing has worked out, I've failed, I'm done for. Please help :'-(.
Original post by CausingAScene

So I do English Language and Creative Writing BA Combined Honours. I loved the Creative Writing aspect and passed with flying colours, however I was really unhappy with English Language. it was nothing like I was told it would be in the introductory seminars and I failed.

I had spoken to a few people, students and staff, and was told that if I really hated it, I could switch to English Literature the following year. I'd have to start that in first year but I could continue with Creative Writing as a second year.

When I found out about my Language results, I contacted the English Admin asking if I could switch and I was told to re-do English language but if I wanted to switch to Lit, I'd have to re-do everything. The whole year. All of Creative Writing too.

I am fuming. I was told that I could carry on with Creative Writing. All that work just void, down the drain?! I feel cheated. Not to mention I feel like a bloody failure for failing English in the first place. And it doesn't help that everyone told me all year 'you'll be fine, it's really hard to fail first year.' Thanks. That really ****ing helps, doesn't it? I'm panicking. I don't want to start the whole thing again. I feel humiliated enough. Now I'm just sat in my room crying because nothing has worked out, I've failed, I'm done for. Please help :'-(.

Could you not switch universities? It doesn't sound like the course was right for in, in terms of Language and also, it doesn't seem like they are being fair and supportive at all.

I mean, if you were to swap English Lang to Lit and you'd have to re-do year 1, then you should just redo the original degree again, as there is no point doing Lit and Creative Writing in the 1st year. Is there any particular reason why you failed English Lang? Did you find it hard, did you not like the modules which is why you found it hard, did you not revise, etc? Have you been over why you failed and other students passed?
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Could you not switch universities? It doesn't sound like the course was right for in, in terms of Language and also, it doesn't seem like they are being fair and supportive at all.

I mean, if you were to swap English Lang to Lit and you'd have to re-do year 1, then you should just redo the original degree again, as there is no point doing Lit and Creative Writing in the 1st year. Is there any particular reason why you failed English Lang? Did you find it hard, did you not like the modules which is why you found it hard, did you not revise, etc? Have you been over why you failed and other students passed?

Well, Lang was nothing at all like the introductory lecture said. There was nothing about acquisition, dialect, etc. There were no essays - essays are what I'm good at and what I got instead was stuff like anatomy of the mouth and diagrams and it seemed more like maths and science. It was a case of 'one right answer everything else is wrong.'
Well, Lang was nothing at all like the introductory lecture said. There was nothing about acquisition, dialect, etc. There were no essays - essays are what I'm good at and what I got instead was stuff like anatomy of the mouth and diagrams and it seemed more like maths and science. It was a case of 'one right answer everything else is wrong.'

What uni do you go to? That sounds like it's leaning towards more linguistics which of course is the more science-y based.

Talk to your students' union. That's why they exist. Get them to argue your case to the university/department to carry on with Creative Writing as a second year. In terms of what you want to do next year, then, well, you should do what you should have done last year: do your own research into what the courses actually involve. I am amazed that you were surprised by the content of the course--this suggests you did not actually look into it that hard in the first place. Figure out whether English Language or English Literature are what you're into (they are totally different courses with very little to do with each other) and then do that. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.
Original post by TritonSails
Talk to your students' union. That's why they exist. Get them to argue your case to the university/department to carry on with Creative Writing as a second year. In terms of what you want to do next year, then, well, you should do what you should have done last year: do your own research into what the courses actually involve. I am amazed that you were surprised by the content of the course--this suggests you did not actually look into it that hard in the first place. Figure out whether English Language or English Literature are what you're into (they are totally different courses with very little to do with each other) and then do that. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

I actually did, I was told we would be doing acquisition, dialect, gender, power, etc. I was interested in that. When I got there I ended up doing some stuff about anatomy and phonetic trees and stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending