The Student Room Group

Why did your parents divorce? And what did their divorce teach you about....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Reading through this I'm astounded at the honesty of some posters. It's unfortunate you've had to go through such events, but today you all win the internet. :redface:
Original post by nohomo
My parents didn't divorce. Happy family :smile:

What this taught me about marriage: marriage is great if you choose your true love :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

this for me too.

Also, it's quit sad to see cheating in majority of these cases and ending in a break up.
Reply 22
Original post by Julesxx
People like you impress the **** out of me. Its extremely admirable! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dont be impressed by me. I make multiple mistakes in relationships and try to continiously learn. I evenly recently just come out of a relationship due to some mistakes on my part and misunderstandings.

I am not impressive. I just try my best - most of the time I still manage to **** up!
Original post by Stinkum
Why?
Because it was an extremely weird relationship. The marriage was very brief. The woman was very quickly exposed as having hidden motives, the relationship was based on deception and each person selfishly hoping to gain a favour from the other. It was doomed from the very beginning. A really odd/weird relationship.

What did it teach me about relationships?
It taught me that marriage is always bad and bitter. It's a really miserable experience. There's zero chance that you'll end up with a decent, honest spouse. Your spouse is always foing to deceive you with hidden motives in order to selfishly try to gain favours (money, house, career advancement, connections, protection, etc). It taught me NEVER EVER to trust someone, even if you marry them...always sleep with one eye open and study their every move. Given the chance, they will destroy you.

I think you're going a bit too far. I understand it's hard what you faced but not everyone is conniving and out their for their own motive. Certainly not. It's sad you think that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nohomo
My parents didn't divorce. Happy family :smile:

What this taught me about marriage: marriage is great if you choose your true love :smile:

This.

It was my parents 20th anniversary earlier this year and they're still happy with each other

Guess I learned that you should never rush into big life decisions without being absolutely sure
My parents have been married for 26 years (27 in November) and they are both very happy with another,
I've seen them fight constantly growing up but they always find a way to keep it together, something I find admirable because they never let their finances, families etc get in the way of the relationship, they do love each other now too (not the we're only together cause of the children way)
They entered an arranged marriage as well so that's quite surprising although it taught me if you try then there is no reason for it not to work out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
My Dad was controlling and quite weird. Think they got together too young and my Mum felt trapped, living far from home. She eventually broke up with him & is now much happier.

I learnt not to rush into things I guess and if you feel something is wrong, get out.
They were never married.

They stopped wanting to have sex with each other (not that they ever did [ever]).

I then only saw one of them on weekends and got a lot of pool, coke and chicken to assuage me.

Honestly. I don't think it taught me anything other than that life is too short to remain unhappy if you can change it.

People stop loving each other. It happens. Be honest. Drink heavily. Move on.
They fell out of love basically. Shocked the hell out of me. But it didn't teach me bugger all.
My Dad walked out having cheated on my Mum, financially and emotionally abusing her and many other volatile situations. 5 years after they first divorced they are now back together and engaged again. Awkward.

I've become untrusting and I'm still negatively effected by the whole thing.
Long story short their relationship consisted mostly of fights as my mother developed a very strong bitter hatred towards my father(don't know why) eventually my mother abandoned us with my father as she no longer wanted anything to do with us or him. Learnt to never get married

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kidding what I actually learnt was communication, trust, tolerance is key in any sucessfull relationship and that you should be mature and address your problems in a respecfully and orderly manner instead of abandoning them as you will never be happy that way. You can't run away from your unresolved problems as they will still exist and persist. I've learnt to never leave your children in the future , as it's psychologically damaging for the child.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My parents were never together when I was born as my dad was in jail.
21 years later, my mum is helping my dad through his last days of terminal cancer, although they are not together.

They have taught me the importance of love, friendship, sacrifice and most importantly...forgiveness.
Marriage is over-rated.
My mum and biological father divorced before i was born due to him being verbally and physically aggressive. After the divorce my mum has always tried to keep their relationship smooth for the sake of me which i respect massivly. My mother quickly re-married to my step father who has always raised me as his own and never treated me or my sister (Who is his and my mothers daughter) in a bad way. However, in recent years due to the economic climate he has been short on work and he is a massive work-o-holic and during this time he has taken up drinking to the point where he starts drinking at 6am. He has become a pain to live with as he is always verbally agressive and very stubborn with his narrow-minded old fashioned views. My mother has said to me that she will leave him as soon as me and my sister have work so that we can help afford a new home. I just home that in this time he sticks to being verbally agressive because if he was to touch my mum he wouldnt walk again. :rolleyes:
My parents were never married and I doubt they ever loved each other. I was a big accident. Mum told me once that she wish she'd gobe through with the abortion Dad bribed and begged her to keep me alive and brought me up from day 1. Mum introduced herself when I was 4 and the appeared again when I was 7. She moved in, fighting began, and then was thrown out when I was about 10. Mum then took dad to court for custody. Court said no way in hell, not even joint custody. Mum visited once a week until I turned 18. I'm going to uni now and probably won't speak to her much again.

What I have learnt:
-NEVER HAVE UNPROTECTED SEX.
-Don't whore around.
-That even though I've always wanted a mum, my dad has done so much for me and has definitely made up for it.
-Even when things get tough, I will always fight for my relationships if they are worth it.
-I've learnt how not to be a parent, from both my mum and dad.
-I'd like to get married.
-My true friends are amazing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My dad walked out. He said it was because of money and society. It made my mum into a bitter and cold person (never knew what she was like before. Only what people told me)
My mum and step dad are still together but they should have split up as it would have been better for everyone. Everytime he cheated or left, mum became a suicidal mess. I became the parent then and resulted to my dismal GCSEs and A levels.

What I learned? Not to trust completely and absolutely no cheating. Also not to be a martyr and know when sometimes it's best to just walk away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why did they divorce? Because they argued like cat and dog. What did it teach me about relationships? Not to argue like cat and dog with your other half.
They broke up because my dad cheated on my mum with a younger girl, in fact she was barely of legal age tbh (she had just turned 16 a few months before and my mum and dad were 24/25 at the time) It didn't really affect me tbh as they broke up when I was about 3 so I didn't witness the arguments or anything. I wouldn't say its taught me anything. I don't have any trust issues or anything. I would have known without my own parents breaking up that some people cheat and not all relationships will last.
Mum had an affair when I was 6/7.

Mum and Dad only got married after he knocked her up in uni. They were too young. My dad at that time was very faithful and proper.

Soon after, mum waltzed off with her new fella. Dad didn't take too long finding a replacement even though she was hideous. Mum was going to fight for sole custody of me, but grandma persuaded her not to. Both parents continued to live in the same small town so I divided my time equally between both.

I should have hated my new step-dad for breaking up the family, but even though he was a bit of a prick, I got on well with him. It was the new step-mother who was the real problem. I didn't realise it at the time, but she screwed up my personality big time.

Although I describe then as step-dad and step-mum, neither of these relationships turned into marriage and both fizzled out after about 10 years. It was at this time that dad had a midlife crisis and started banging everything that moved. He was right horny old bastard. He even did step-mum's best friend and ruined that relationship.

Mum eventually married a nice bloke and were together nearly 18 years but that has now come to an end. I shudder to think what she will do next. It genuinely scares me.

After getting the sexual frustration out of his system, dad is now hopefully set for life with his current wife.

No matter how you look at it, it was my birth that screwed up both my parents' lives! The moral of the story is to use a condom. Saves you an awful lot of grief.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending