The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Seeing as the Oxbridge, law and medicine threads are up and running for the 2015 cycle I figured it's probably about time for the economics thread. This thread can be used for anything related to applying for economics in 2015, including what you think you'll get and where you want to apply :smile:
Personally I'm hoping to go to warwick. :smile:

Here's the economics university connect page (new stalking page) http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/connect/course/economics
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Having been through the process last year, I'm happy to help anyone here if you quote me, or privately if you want some secrecy (I know I did!) via PM.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm doing my a levels in 3 years and have an E in economics and chemistry at AS level, will that put me at a disadvantage? Still haven't gotten my results for this year tho, I want to go Nottingham or ucl (if I get the grades)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Slim Shady 96
I'm doing my a levels in 3 years and have an E in economics and chemistry at AS level, will that put me at a disadvantage? Still haven't gotten my results for this year tho, I want to go Nottingham or ucl (if I get the grades)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah are you retaking your economics then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Ah are you retaking your economics then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will this year but I'm applying this year also :frown: shouldn't have been lazy like I only got an E because I got the essay question wrong and that was worth like loads I was even predicted an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Slim Shady 96
I will this year but I'm applying this year also :frown: shouldn't have been lazy like I only got an E because I got the essay question wrong and that was worth like loads I was even predicted an A

Posted from TSR Mobile

Argh that sounds super annoying, hope it goes well for you when you resit :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yay this is finally here :biggrin: This thread is the sole reason I joined studentroom, to connect with other eco applicants like me.
I am awaiting my AS results in Maths, Economics, History and English/Lang, and aiming for anywhere between A*AA to AAB next year. My predicted grades for AS are AAAB at the moment. Applying for UCL as my top choice if I manage to get AAAB and Nottingham as my top choice if I get AABB or worse on 14th.
I've started considering economics and finance quite strongly from a week or two but I have no idea what finance entails as it is a completely new subject. Any thoughts? Are you guys applying for economics by itself or joint honours?
Original post by AChhabs0701
Yay this is finally here :biggrin: This thread is the sole reason I joined studentroom, to connect with other eco applicants like me.
I am awaiting my AS results in Maths, Economics, History and English/Lang, and aiming for anywhere between A*AA to AAB next year. My predicted grades for AS are AAAB at the moment. Applying for UCL as my top choice if I manage to get AAAB and Nottingham as my top choice if I get AABB or worse on 14th.
I've started considering economics and finance quite strongly from a week or two but I have no idea what finance entails as it is a completely new subject. Any thoughts? Are you guys applying for economics by itself or joint honours?

hi! yep I think I'm just going to go for single honours economics, I was considering it combined with maths for a while but there's no way I could face that haha!
Sorry I don't know much about finance at all, in a few of the talks I sat through they've sort of implied it's good for investment banking, but I've no idea how true that is?
I'd like to apply to Nottingham too, although I'm yet to see the campus or city, but the course seems pretty good! :smile:
hi! yep I think I'm just going to go for single honours economics, I was considering it combined with maths for a while but there's no way I could face that haha!
Sorry I don't know much about finance at all, in a few of the talks I sat through they've sort of implied it's good for investment banking, but I've no idea how true that is?
I'd like to apply to Nottingham too, although I'm yet to see the campus or city, but the course seems pretty good! :smile:

Lmao lets not even talk about maths. All year I've been getting As in every mock I've done but I screwed up my c2 so so badly. Exams are truly not a good reflection of your capability..
Most of the economic courses I have looked at in top unis place a strong emphasis on econometrics and quantitative economics etc so there's that. :frown:
I am yet to see it too but the course content seemed pretty nice. You attended any open days yet?
Lmao lets not even talk about maths. All year I've been getting As in every mock I've done but I screwed up my c2 so so badly. Exams are truly not a good reflection of your capability..
Most of the economic courses I have looked at in top unis place a strong emphasis on econometrics and quantitative economics etc so there's that. :frown:
I am yet to see it too but the course content seemed pretty nice. You attended any open days yet?

Yeah same I was getting 95%+ in all my maths mocks and I did every single past paper but I don't think they went that great :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm I do quite like maths, but further maths was something else, messed up fp1 so badly :frown:((
Yep I went to warwick, leeds and newcastle open days and I loved warwick, I've also been to a few other places when my sister went looking around universities 3 years ago so I've seen cambridge, edinburgh and stuff

You been to many open days?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm I do quite like maths, but further maths was something else, messed up fp1 so badly :frown:((
Yep I went to warwick, leeds and newcastle open days and I loved warwick, I've also been to a few other places when my sister went looking around universities 3 years ago so I've seen cambridge, edinburgh and stuff

You been to many open days?

Posted from TSR Mobile

how very encouraging :biggrin: i was going to pick up further maths next year if i get an A this year as it is seen as very desirable in the top unis..how much harder would you say it is than pure maths?

well i am from leeds so i pretty much dismissed the university altogether XD but i am aware it is very, very good. ooh warwick is obviously really intense and hard to get into but i hope you make it. :smile: if you don't mind me asking, what was it about warwick that you loved? ive only been to sheffield's so far aha, wasn't really impressed. I got nottingham, birmingham, manchester and leicester lined up for september. They seem pretty low compared to what you're aiming to ofc..cambridge n all :P
how very encouraging :biggrin: i was going to pick up further maths next year if i get an A this year as it is seen as very desirable in the top unis..how much harder would you say it is than pure maths?

well i am from leeds so i pretty much dismissed the university altogether XD but i am aware it is very, very good. ooh warwick is obviously really intense and hard to get into but i hope you make it. :smile: if you don't mind me asking, what was it about warwick that you loved? ive only been to sheffield's so far aha, wasn't really impressed. I got nottingham, birmingham, manchester and leicester lined up for september. They seem pretty low compared to what you're aiming to ofc..cambridge n all :P

Erm I don't think the AS is too bad (although I've not got my results yet :s-smilie:) I did fp1 d1 and m1 for mine and fp1 isn't too bad, there are actually some quite easy topics like matrices which aren't in normal core units but they're pretty simple. I've no idea which applied module you did this year but d1 is the most pointless module I've done so I'd avoid it if you want something interesting, although it is fairly easy so that might be something to consider? S1 was my easiest module of the applied ones but that's mainly because I wasn't a fan of mechanics. Do you plan on doing the full a level or just as? (Sorry about the massive paragraph haha)

Yeah I just loved warwick when I went, the campus is so nice and I don't mind whether I go out a lot so not having a massive nightlife doesn't particularly bother me, although the student union had a club, pub and bar on campus so it's not awful. Then obviously the course there is really good. It was really a choice for me between warwick and lse for where my top place to apply would be (I'm only borderline on the whole cambridge sitch atm) and I don't want to live in London so that solved it for me :smile:

The places your applying all seem pretty cool, I'll probably apply to nottingham as well. I basically discounted Manchester for the same reason you got rid of leeds because it's my local big city and I know my family would come up a lot aha

Sorry for the massive essay there

Posted from TSR Mobile
I messed up maths badly too :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spyrogyra
I messed up maths badly too :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah which modules? I'm sure you'll have done great :smile:

Where are you looking at applying? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
C2 was very bad (hopefully lower boundaries though) and i made so many silly mistakes in s1. Just hope i scrape that A! Aha

Umm Warwick ideally but others like bristol/nott

Posted from TSR Mobile
C2 was very bad (hopefully lower boundaries though) and i made so many silly mistakes in s1. Just hope i scrape that A! Aha

Umm Warwick ideally but others like bristol/nott

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah which board are you on? I thought ocr's c2 was slightly harder than average

Woo I want to go to warwick too! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah i'm edexcel... A lot of people found this years C2 much harder than usual

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah i'm edexcel... A lot of people found this years C2 much harder than usual

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it was harder! I was doing so well in the mocks but my exam didn't go that well :frown: we'll know in almost 2 weeks 😰

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mike_123
Any queries feel free to PM me. :smile:

What did you get at AS, if you don't mind me asking?
Anyway, I myself am hoping to apply to Warwick, absolutely loved it on the open day.. But like a few people here, I'm worried I won't get the A in AS FM, due to FP1. Do you guys think AABB would be good enough?

Quick Reply

Latest