The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Anyone applied to queen mary for economics?

I got an update on my application saying

A decision has been made on your application.
This will be transmitted to UCAS shortly and you can expect to receive an update via UCAS Track in the coming days.
Spoke too soon, got an offer from queen mary :smile:
Original post by h_1411
Spoke too soon, got an offer from queen mary :smile:

Well done!! :biggrin:
Original post by Djangoo
Offer from Warwick!

Posted from TSR Mobile

by offer do you mean unconditional or conditional?
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Well done!! :biggrin:

Thank you!!:biggrin::smile::biggrin:
Original post by Mike_123
4A* double maths econ phys

same, it's nice to meet people though and even though you're likely to get lse/camb you should still come to collect the offer.

Yeah I will, just like to know what is going on. How good really is UCL though? I'm unsure how happy to feel hahah
Reply 1386
4A* double maths econ phys

same, it's nice to meet people though and even though you're likely to get lse/camb you should still come to collect the offer.

Hi Mike, just wanted to know how long you spent preparing for the interview for cam?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17
Yeah I will, just like to know what is going on. How good really is UCL though? I'm unsure how happy to feel hahah

It's alright, it won't stop you getting a good job. Not the best tho imo :tongue:

Original post by sr-96
Hi Mike, just wanted to know how long you spent preparing for the interview for cam?:smile:

Read the economist every week for about 8 weeks but i also kept on top of my school work. Hard to say, a week to go all I did was prepare by reading the economist and practising maths. I think I overdid it though.
It's alright, it won't stop you getting a good job. Not the best tho imo :tongue:

Read the economist every week for about 8 weeks but i also kept on top of my school work. Hard to say, a week to go all I did was prepare by reading the economist and practising maths. I think I overdid it though.

I've been reading the economist for about a year now and archiving interesting files. Will this help me at interview? I have visions of the interviewer asking me really esoteric and specific micro/macro syllabus stuff and really hard maths Qs. I would love to just chat about foreign economic policy and the bond/forex/oil market but I doubt this will ever happen.

In your interview, were you asked about books included in your personal statement?
LSE y u take so long
Original post by jchap9776
Well an email effectively , ah cool what are your stats? :smile:

Gcses 9a*s 1a
As:
Maths 287/300
F maths 272/300
Econ 187/200
Physics 267/300
Biology 270/300
You?
Should I expect an informal interview at the ucl open day thing?
Original post by mwatters
In your interview, were you asked about books included in your personal statement?

Not personally but it depends on who you're being interviewed by. You should be prepared to defend anything you've put on it though.

Original post by EHZ17
I've been reading the economist for about a year now and archiving interesting files. Will this help me at interview? I have visions of the interviewer asking me really esoteric and specific micro/macro syllabus stuff and really hard maths Qs. I would love to just chat about foreign economic policy and the bond/forex/oil market but I doubt this will ever happen.

Yeah that should put you in good stead for the interview. How are your debating skills? You'll need to be able to defend your viewpoint quickly if you make a bold claim on a macro question.

I wouldn't say that the maths is very hard, so make sure you can do the simple stuff as well as the difficult stuff.

And it depends largely on who's interviewing you and how they're feeling. It's more likely to be on economic policy than those niche (in relative terms) markets.
Not personally but it depends on who you're being interviewed by. You should be prepared to defend anything you've put on it though.

Yeah that should put you in good stead for the interview. How are your debating skills? You'll need to be able to defend your viewpoint quickly if you make a bold claim on a macro question.

I wouldn't say that the maths is very hard, so make sure you can do the simple stuff as well as the difficult stuff.

And it depends largely on who's interviewing you and how they're feeling. It's more likely to be on economic policy than those niche (in relative terms) markets.

Ok cool.

I'm trying to complete C3, C4, S1, S2, FP1 quite quickly. What would you say is most likely to come up out of those?

I'm going to revise AS Econ again as I seem to have forgotten a fair amount!

Sorry for these questions, I just have absolutely no idea what type of questions I will be asked so I'm left revising everything. I've nearly filled around 9 folders on various economic policies used around the world..
Original post by EHZ17
Ok cool.

I'm trying to complete C3, C4, S1, S2, FP1 quite quickly. What would you say is most likely to come up out of those?

I'm going to revise AS Econ again as I seem to have forgotten a fair amount!

Sorry for these questions, I just have absolutely no idea what type of questions I will be asked so I'm left revising everything. I've nearly filled around 9 folders on various economic policies used around the world..

I think you're going a bit overboard haha

And I have no idea, I don't have a crystal ball. FP1 seems unlikely and I'm tempted to say maths is more important than stats.
Original post by emmelinelu
Gcses 9a*s 1a
As:
Maths 287/300
F maths 272/300
Econ 187/200
Physics 267/300
Biology 270/300
You?

Some awesome grades!! :redface:
Gcses: 9a* and 2a
As Level:
Maths 300/300
further maths 277/300
econ 192/200
history 188/200
I hope we hear about interviews soon, have you done much to prepare? I've done hardly anything haha
Next week will be LSE Friday I guess :wink:
At least that's what their admissions calendar says
Whos expecting a response? :biggrin:
Original post by TheDothraki
Next week will be LSE Friday I guess :wink:
At least that's what their admissions calendar says
Whos expecting a response? :biggrin:

What do you mean by LSE Friday? I havent heard back from LSE in a long time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If lse gave me an offer next Friday I probably wouldn't go to a Cambridge interview haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending