The Student Room Group

how do i get an offical ID card?

i have heard of citizencard but i've read bad reports about it as well. I want to get an ID card that is official and accepted widely. can anyone help?
Reply 1
Original post by tgwktm
i have heard of citizencard but i've read bad reports about it as well. I want to get an ID card that is official and accepted widely. can anyone help?

Provisional licence
Yeah get a provisional licence, it's accepted everywhere as ID, citizencards arent accepted everywhere
I have a citizenship card as I didn't want to learn to drive so don't have any sort of license and didn't want to use my passport as ID (too expensive to replace). I've had it about about 2 years now and it's been pretty good (except I hate my photo on it), it's been accepted just about everywhere I've been. The only place I've been denied was one particular Wetherspoons just after I got it, this is a bit odd as every other Wetherspoons I've been to has accepted it. I've also been asked once to show something else with my name on it as well, but I think that has more to do with me looking really young. I used to be really nervous about if places would accept it or not, but I've had no problems getting in/buying drinks. On the whole though, it's good for when you need ID that it doesn't matter as much if you lose it and is accepted nearly everywhere.

In order to get one, I picked up a form from somewhere (you can probably get one online) and filled it in. I can't remember exactly but I think you have to photocopy your birth certificate and passport to send with it. You also have to get a person in a high enough position to sign that it is you and that the photo you supply with it is looks like you. (I got my A-level maths teacher to do this) You then send it off with £15 and then once it's accepted they'll send you the card.

However if you are planning on learning to drive at some point, a provisional driving license is your other option as said before me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Midnight Star
I have a citizenship card as I didn't want to learn to drive so don't have any sort of license and didn't want to use my passport as ID (too expensive to replace). I've had it about about 2 years now and it's been pretty good (except I hate my photo on it), it's been accepted just about everywhere I've been. The only place I've been denied was one particular Wetherspoons just after I got it, this is a bit odd as every other Wetherspoons I've been to has accepted it. I've also been asked once to show something else with my name on it as well, but I think that has more to do with me looking really young. I used to be really nervous about if places would accept it or not, but I've had no problems getting in/buying drinks. On the whole though, it's good for when you need ID that it doesn't matter as much if you lose it and is accepted nearly everywhere.

In order to get one, I picked up a form from somewhere (you can probably get one online) and filled it in. I can't remember exactly but I think you have to photocopy your birth certificate and passport to send with it. You also have to get a person in a high enough position to sign that it is you and that the photo you supply with it is looks like you. (I got my A-level maths teacher to do this) You then send it off with £15 and then once it's accepted they'll send you the card.

However if you are planning on learning to drive at some point, a provisional driving license is your other option as said before me.

i will have to look into this a bit more i think cause some people say that it is good and others say it isn't. but i will have problems applying for one as i don't have a passport and its the holidays so i can't ask any teachers.
Original post by tgwktm
i will have to look into this a bit more i think cause some people say that it is good and others say it isn't. but i will have problems applying for one as i don't have a passport and its the holidays so i can't ask any teachers.

Ah, so I just checked the form for it and if the verifier knows you personally you can just use a birth certificate or NHS medical card instead.
Reply 6
Ah, so I just checked the form for it and if the verifier knows you personally you can just use a birth certificate or NHS medical card instead.

i found another provider of ID that accept birth certificates or official copies of birth certificates (both of which i have). as its the holidays the only other verifier i could use would be my doctor/dentist but i wouldn't say they know me personally.
Original post by tgwktm
i found another provider of ID that accept birth certificates or official copies of birth certificates (both of which i have). as its the holidays the only other verifier i could use would be my doctor/dentist but i wouldn't say they know me personally.

That's good, just make sure if it isn't a driving license/passport that it has the PASS hologram on it as officially most places only accept passport, driving license or something with the PASS hologram on it.
Reply 8
That's good, just make sure if it isn't a driving license/passport that it has the PASS hologram on it as officially most places only accept passport, driving license or something with the PASS hologram on it.

it does, i searched providers of PASS ID and this one seemed good: https://www.civiliancard.com/
thank you for your help anyway
edit: this is where i searched this information: http://www.pass-scheme.org.uk/card-suppliers/
(edited 9 years ago)
Ultimately, a provisional is the best way to do it. Don't trouble yourself applying online as there are many scam sites which are almost identical to the real one. Pop into your local post office and do it by post.

Citizen cards aren't widely accepted; certainly not in clubs, or in the South of England.
Original post by Fanticipation
Ultimately, a provisional is the best way to do it. Don't trouble yourself applying online as there are many scam sites which are almost identical to the real one. Pop into your local post office and do it by post.

Citizen cards aren't widely accepted; certainly not in clubs, or in the South of England.

Ah, I'm in the North which may be why I've not really had problems with it not being accepted.
Ah, I'm in the North which may be why I've not really had problems with it not being accepted.

Ah, probably. :smile:
Reply 12
Mine works in the South, but I've got the new one with the sia (door staff/bouncers' regulator) logo on it. I'm not saying its not worth getting a provisional, but it does take longer/is more expensive. I was out on a uni trip and lost my passport in a bar, absolute nightmare. The citizencard doesnt cost much, makes sense rather than risking something harder to replace if you ask me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending