The Student Room Group

Papa Johns Wages??

I have been looking for a job since May and I today I applied to Papa Johns today. I handed in my CV and one of the members of staff said I could come in the evening and do a trial.

While I was doing the trial I asked a lot of questions about the business and the nature of the job - as you do. But then I asked about wages. I simply asked how much you get paid an hour, and how you get paid.

The members of staff didn't tell me initially, they said that the manager would be in soon and he would explain everything to me.

Then I had to go into the manager's office. I didn't even realise the manager was right there, as far as I knew the manager was "on his way." He didn't pay any attention to me, didn't introduce himself, and didn't acknowledge me. He was so focused on his phone that he forgot I was there. He had absolutely no interest, and he came across as the sort of person who isn't bothered about work.

A member of staff was there and he asked me if I had any questions, so I asked about the manager. Then I asked about wages. The manager said the job pays £5 and hour. I said that I am over 21 years old and the minimum wage is £6.31 per hour. He said he is aware of this, but it is "company policy" to pay all members of staff £5 an hour.

Then I asked about hours. He didn't bother to give me a straight answer.

And that was it, no proper interview. He carried on playing with his phone. Then he left the room and disappeared.

I found his behavior unusual.

So I left the room, and one of the members of staff said that as the pizza place wasn't busy, I could go home, and end my trial. He then said that the manager would be in touch to speak to me about the job, but then he said mentioned that I "asked the manager about the money." From the way he said that, I got the impression that the manager wasn't happy that I asked about the money and challenged him on it.

Now what do I do? I am desperate for money at this point, but I am really suspicious about this job.
its illegal to pay less than minimum wage, thats why its called the minimum wage. i'd just try somewhere else and report them to the authorities.
Original post by woodchuck
its illegal to pay less than minimum wage, thats why its called the minimum wage. i'd just try somewhere else and report them to the authorities.

I assume the managed was a bit floored that I questioned him about the wages, because of this - I could easily dob him in.

I doubt I will get the job now anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending