The Student Room Group

What are first year Law exams like?

How are they structured?
How long are they?
Do you get past papers to use for revision?
Reply 1
Well, all of those questions depend on the University that you go to and the type of course. In my experience, since none of my first year modules had coursework, exams were 2.5 hours for 20 credits and 3 hours for 30 credit students and would usually be structured as section one containing problem questions and section two containing essay questions (although sometime they were not split into separate sections, there was just a requirement that you do at least one of each type. Then 20 credits would answer two questions and 30 credits would answer three. We had full access to previous exam papers (dating back many years), but they weren't always completely relevant if the module syllabus altered over the years (Eg. Cardiff used to do criminal in the second year, but now it is in first year). Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I had 4 end of year exams, each 3hrs long with 15minutes reading time beforehand. There was no real structure aside from the fact that each module required you to answer 4 questions out of a range of around 8 or more (with a mix of problem and essay questions), bar Land law where it was 3 out of 8. It did not matter if all your answers were solely to either problem/essay questions.

Also got the aid of past exam papers and general feedback from the previous years. However, as Fursey said, it all depends on the university you attend in regards to the set-up :smile:
Reply 3
I had 2 hour (or in 2nd year one was 1 1/2 hour) exams for 15 credit modules and 3 hours for 30 credits, with 15 minutes reading time.
Most of my first year papers required at least one essay and one problem, with the rest of the questions free choice.
In a hall where you couldn't take anything with you except writing tools, and student ID (really frustrating after first year where you commute and have to find somewhere to leave your stuff!) and there was a seating plan outside like for A-levels.

Past papers for the last 3 years at least were available online, for some exams it was very easy to guess the essay questions that would come up, and we generally discussed at least on past paper, or some of the questions from it, in a revision lecture a few weeks before the exam.

Essentially, mine were very easy to prepare for and easy enough to understand the process.
exam format/length is set by the university, so it varies everywhere.

i had four first year exams with no coursework; all were 3-3.5hrs and a mix of essay questions and problem questions, usually in the format of 'answer any four questions from the following seven/eight questions' with a requirement of at least one essay and at least one problem question. past papers were available through the intranet for the past three years.
Reply 5
Thanks for replying guys! So I get it's different everywhere, which could either be a good or bad thing.
Would there ever be an exam where you already know the questions and can prepare for it in advance? I think I read that somewhere on here, but I didn't really get it!?
Original post by Katie_p
I had 2 hour (or in 2nd year one was 1 1/2 hour) exams for 15 credit modules and 3 hours for 30 credits, with 15 minutes reading time.
Most of my first year papers required at least one essay and one problem, with the rest of the questions free choice.
In a hall where you couldn't take anything with you except writing tools, and student ID (really frustrating after first year where you commute and have to find somewhere to leave your stuff!) and there was a seating plan outside like for A-levels.

Past papers for the last 3 years at least were available online, for some exams it was very easy to guess the essay questions that would come up, and we generally discussed at least on past paper, or some of the questions from it, in a revision lecture a few weeks before the exam.

Essentially, mine were very easy to prepare for and easy enough to understand the process.

Hey, which website?
Reply 7
We had an exam this year (year 2) for Land Law where they gave us three essay questions, one of which would come up in the exam, but I avoided them anyways as they're marked as "seen" and therefore you would need to know it in lots and lots of detail. Other than that, we haven't known any questions which would come up, but you can see trends in the past papers so usually, you can at least pick a few topics in general which will definitely come up, but then you still need to know the whole topic well enough to be able to do any question!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by fursey
We had an exam this year (year 2) for Land Law where they gave us three essay questions, one of which would come up in the exam, but I avoided them anyways as they're marked as "seen" and therefore you would need to know it in lots and lots of detail. Other than that, we haven't known any questions which would come up, but you can see trends in the past papers so usually, you can at least pick a few topics in general which will definitely come up, but then you still need to know the whole topic well enough to be able to do any question!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oo okay I get it! Thanks:smile: Do you have any advice on like organising notes and work and stuff? I'm usually a really organised person, but I feel because of the big change from A Levels to a Law Degree I might lose that, and organisation is the key to success (for me anyway!)
Reply 9
Original post by random1234567
Hey, which website?

The university website - they had a catalogue of 2-5 years back for all subjects.
Original post by Katie_p
The university website - they had a catalogue of 2-5 years back for all subjects.

Oh, thats cool, I actually did A-level Law and my teacher said that 1st year isn't really a jump
Oh, thats cool, I actually did A-level Law and my teacher said that 1st year isn't really a jump

To be honest, I've not felt a jump in my education so far, except maybe this year (in Germany so there's a language barrier) and that seems to be the same amongst my closer friends. But it's also an unpopular opinion generally, and I can't work out if I'm just lucky and progress in correspondence with my workload, or if other people make excuses for laziness. :/
If you do the same modules in first year, it may even be boring because you know most of it already!
Original post by Katie_p
To be honest, I've not felt a jump in my education so far, except maybe this year (in Germany so there's a language barrier) and that seems to be the same amongst my closer friends. But it's also an unpopular opinion generally, and I can't work out if I'm just lucky and progress in correspondence with my workload, or if other people make excuses for laziness. :/
If you do the same modules in first year, it may even be boring because you know most of it already!

Yeah that is true, maybe you are very smart :wink:. Yeah, we did Sources of law and English Legal System in AS. Criminal law in A2
Yeah that is true, maybe you are very smart :wink:. Yeah, we did Sources of law and English Legal System in AS. Criminal law in A2

Haha maybe. But my friends all seem the same, and I'm not an intelligence snob when making friends!
Urgh ELS and sources of law was so dull! But Criminal's good, and those are often both first year modules.
Original post by Katie_p
Haha maybe. But my friends all seem the same, and I'm not an intelligence snob when making friends!
Urgh ELS and sources of law was so dull! But Criminal's good, and those are often both first year modules.

Lol, I agree found them both very boring... pretty much just remembering facts
Reply 15
Original post by einnap101
Oo okay I get it! Thanks:smile: Do you have any advice on like organising notes and work and stuff? I'm usually a really organised person, but I feel because of the big change from A Levels to a Law Degree I might lose that, and organisation is the key to success (for me anyway!)

Well I'm sure that if you're organised, you will remain so at university! People operate in different ways really, I much prefer hand-written notes (taking detailed notes in lectures), whereas a friend of mine always types hers up on the laptop. I usually then use spider diagrams to learn the law in blocks, but another friend of mine simply copies out sentences over and over to get it into their head (I tried this, but it didn't work for me ha). Just make sure you allow yourself enough time to thoroughly read ALL of the tutorial materials and answer the questions sufficiently and I'm sure that it will all be fine :smile:.
Reply 16
Original post by fursey
Well I'm sure that if you're organised, you will remain so at university! People operate in different ways really, I much prefer hand-written notes (taking detailed notes in lectures), whereas a friend of mine always types hers up on the laptop. I usually then use spider diagrams to learn the law in blocks, but another friend of mine simply copies out sentences over and over to get it into their head (I tried this, but it didn't work for me ha). Just make sure you allow yourself enough time to thoroughly read ALL of the tutorial materials and answer the questions sufficiently and I'm sure that it will all be fine :smile:.

Okay thank you! I feel much better about it all now! Even excited haha!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending