The Student Room Group

Emergency Medicine and pay banding

Hopefully this isn't a daft question...

EM contracts are still eligible for pay banding supplement are they not? I'm positive they are, but recently I read an article that stated a reason for low morale in EM is " the fact that the consultant receives the same salary if he works 9am-6pm on a typically wednesday, as he does for working 10pm to 6am on christmas day".

Surely this can't be correct? I realise the pay banding is dictated by the overall contract unsocial hours allocated, rather than one particular shift, but still, a christmas day shift should still collect some unsociable/bank holiday or weekend supplement?

Is this simply inaccurate journalism, or am I missing something? Are the out of hours/weekend supplements for EM different to some other speciliaties? due to the nature of their rota and shift patterns?
(edited 9 years ago)
Pay banding is only for junior doctors. Consultants are contracted and receive a fixed salary.

The reality is slightly more complicated than this but generally, that's how it goes.

Original post by AZ1234
Hopefully this isn't a daft question...

EM contracts are still eligible for pay banding supplement are they not? I'm positive they are, but recently I read an article that stated a reason for low morale in EM is " the fact that the consultant receives the same salary if he works 9am-6pm on a typically wednesday, as he does for working 10pm to 6am on christmas day".

Surely this can't be correct? I realise the pay banding is dictated by the overall contract unsocial hours allocated, rather than one particular shift, but still, a christmas day shift should still collect some unsociable/bank holiday or weekend supplement?

Is this simply inaccurate journalism, or am I missing something? Are the out of hours/weekend supplements for EM different to some other speciliaties? due to the nature of their rota and shift patterns?
Reply 2
Original post by Spencer Wells
Pay banding is only for junior doctors. Consultants are contracted and receive a fixed salary.

The reality is slightly more complicated than this but generally, that's how it goes.

Thanks for the insight spencer! Is the pay banding not applicable for ST1/2 etc trainees as well? Only for F1&F2?
Banding is applicable for anyone from FY1 to ST7. Consultant get paid for sessions. One session (called a PA) is 4 hours. A normal contract would be for 10 to 12 PAs per week, normally with 2.5 PAs used for admin work or teaching (called SPAs.) On-call cover (out of hours) is paid at the base rate + 1/3rd. Post tax a single PA is worth about £100 (so you take home £20 per hour.) Many consultants will work over their scheduled hours, as things never fit neatly into 4 hour sessions, and these will no be paid.
Reply 4
Original post by Spencer Wells
Banding is applicable for anyone from FY1 to ST7. Consultant get paid for sessions. One session (called a PA) is 4 hours. A normal contract would be for 10 to 12 PAs per week, normally with 2.5 PAs used for admin work or teaching (called SPAs.) On-call cover (out of hours) is paid at the base rate + 1/3rd. Post tax a single PA is worth about £100 (so you take home £20 per hour.) Many consultants will work over their scheduled hours, as things never fit neatly into 4 hour sessions, and these will no be paid.

Thanks again spencer, very helpful!! :hat2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending