The Student Room Group

Cv page

Hi everyone :smile:

I am not from Uk but im planning to work in this country.
So i have a question: In Uk, how long a CV should be ? 1 or 2 pages ?
I just graduated and have some work experience too.
I know that in some countries, it's 1page max but in UK im not sure ...

Thanks a lot for your help :wink:
Original post by Atypik
Hi everyone :smile:

I am not from Uk but im planning to work in this country.
So i have a question: In Uk, how long a CV should be ? 1 or 2 pages ?
I just graduated and have some work experience too.
I know that in some countries, it's 1page max but in UK im not sure ...

Thanks a lot for your help :wink:

1 side of A4
Reply 2
Hello,

Thanks a lot for your message and sorry for my late reply.
In many Uk univ websites i saw that they advice to have a 2 pages Cv which is apparently the standardUK CV length :s-smilie: ...
Original post by Atypik
Hello,

Thanks a lot for your message and sorry for my late reply.
In many Uk univ websites i saw that they advice to have a 2 pages Cv which is apparently the standardUK CV length :s-smilie: ...

10 years ago, in a very different employment market, it was. It also still is for anyone with a significant amount of professional experience (5-10 years plus, post university, in a single job sector). Otherwise, for entry level jobs, with 100+ applications per role, employers have no time for padded CVs that go over one side.

For 99% of TSR members, it's one side of A4.
Reply 4
Ok great ! Thanks a lot
I recruit and always say no recruiter is going to mind if you use two pages. Indeed one page CVs often frustrate me because they don't give enough information about what they did in a role and just end up being a list of job titles with no real accompanying information. But three/four/five pages is a no-no.

But I also say for your own sake, make sure you really 'sell' yourself in the first half of the first page - list your key skills/features (preferably the ones they are asking for!) and make your most recent role really visible. That way if a recruiter wants to know more, they can move on and read the rest of the lovely in-depth information you've provided, but if they're pressed for time and can't be bothered, you've got their attention for at least half a page.
Reply 6
The opinion on this changes all of the time. Basically no more than two sides of A4, but make sure you have everything the employer wants to know on the CV, look at the job specs and tailor the CV to each job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending