The Student Room Group

Turn down a scholarship to go to a brand name uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TurboCretin
Ahh sorry, thought when you said 'full fees' in the OP you meant full fee scholarships.

I don't have experience in the marketing field, but I can't see it making such a difference to your graduate prospects that saving 5k wouldn't be worth it, considering also the bonus of having the scholarship on your CV.

From what I've been told I agree. Having scholarships on your CV can look good.

I've been awarded my course's single scholarship.

I'd go to one of the 50% paid for universities. York may not have had the 'perfect' Masters course for me (it was pretty close), I was able to secure approximately £9000 in total funding for it [accommodation/tuition fee cut] so it'll cost me about £6000 total for the year in living costs and the remaining tuition fees.

Prestige doesn't matter nearly as much as the strength of your department in that research field for Masters.
Original post by Mr.Intelligent
Not according to the league tables it's not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it is. St. Andrews is third in the Guardian and Fourth in complete uni guide
Original post by -=|Jay|=-
From what I've been told I agree. Having scholarships on your CV can look good.

I've been awarded my course's single scholarship.

I'd go to one of the 50% paid for universities. York may not have had the 'perfect' Masters course for me (it was pretty close), I was able to secure approximately £9000 in total funding for it [accommodation/tuition fee cut] so it'll cost me about £6000 total for the year in living costs and the remaining tuition fees.

Prestige doesn't matter nearly as much as the strength of your department in that research field for Masters.

Yeah I agree with a lot of what you and others have said here.

How do you guys calculate the strength of your department? Lecturers/league tables?
Also just a sub note... Do entry requirements for a course have any bearing on it's strength? I ask because the courses at Loughborough and York both ask for a minimum of a 2:2 which seems really low considering they are both ranked highly on league tables for business and management/marketing. Although both the conditional offers required me to get a 65% + 2:1 so maybe it's just to attract more applicants to fill places?
Original post by Alexafc12
Yeah I agree with a lot of what you and others have said here.

How do you guys calculate the strength of your department? Lecturers/league tables?

Research assessment for your department has a lot to do with it.

You should try and be somewhere pushing boundaries on research.

Example:

http://jhrp.oxfordjournals.org/

The Oxford Journal of Human Rights Practice is edited by my head of department and published by my centre at York.

Additionally, York has the only program of its kind whereby defenders at risk of persecution in other countries are invited on a visiting scholarship to work with students in the centre.

2 of the main reasons I chose York. It's technically in the Politics department [which is somewhat lacklustre] but the research and teaching are separate to the greater department and are on a different level.
Yeah I was considering going to York as I really like the City and it has a strong reputation. However, the course is fairly new and got a pretty bad rep last year. Plus I didn't get offered any financial aid!

Good luck with your future studies ^^
Reply 26
Original post by Calllu-m
Yes it is. St. Andrews is third in the Guardian and Fourth in complete uni guide

:facepalm:
None of which has anything to do with postgrad marketing courses. This spat is irrelevant to the OP.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 27
Definitely take the scholarship.

Prestige means even less at postgraduate level than it would have done before and to have a scholarship from a really good university on your CV is something that employers will love.
Please can we avoid personal squabbling and stay on topic? I have tidied this thread.

~Neostigmine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending