The Student Room Group

hiv

how likely is it to catch hiv if I have only slept with 7 people and 2 unprotectedly and the first one only lasted seconds because it hurt too much amd the second pulled out? also how long should I wait for my results?
Original post by milliemoomoo123
how likely is it to catch hiv if I have only slept with 7 people and 2 unprotectedly and the first one only lasted seconds because it hurt too much amd the second pulled out? also how long should I wait for my results?

relaxxxxx. people usually get signs such as a rash and a severe flu when they catch hiv
Reply 2
A nurse said generally its really hard to catch, as long as you stop now and protect yourself you should be fine. Its much more common with gays unprotected but if you are worried just go get checked.
Original post by ThoughtIsFree

relaxxxxx. people usually get signs such as a rash and a severe flu when they catch hiv

It varies from person to person - there's no "usually" about it. Some will show flu-like symptoms, some will be asymptomatic for up to ten years.

OP, it's highly likely that any of the people you slept with have HIV, and as the poster above me has said, it's not the "catchiest" thing going. There's about a 33% chance of it being transmitted each time you have unprotected sex with an HIV+ person (and it's easier for a woman to catch it from a man than vice versa.)
Obviously the one that were protected it would be almost impossible. Obviously the other two guys would have to have HIV which is unlikely if they are straight and not promiscuous. If they did have it then obviously you might have caught it though unlikely. May I ask how old you are?
Highly unlikely
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Musie Suzie
It varies from person to person - there's no "usually" about it. Some will show flu-like symptoms, some will be asymptomatic for up to ten years.

OP, it's highly likely that any of the people you slept with have HIV, and as the poster above me has said, it's not the "catchiest" thing going. There's about a 33% chance of it being transmitted each time you have unprotected sex with an HIV+ person (and it's easier for a woman to catch it from a man than vice versa.)

well i was trying not to worry op xD
There's about a 33% chance of it being transmitted each time you have unprotected sex with an HIV+ person (and it's easier for a woman to catch it from a man than vice versa.)

Where did you get that figure from? That is ridiculously high.
Reply 8
If you have to ask questions like this on TSR you shouldn't be having so much sex

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wilfred Little
Where did you get that figure from? That is ridiculously high.

It was a figure bandied around by the NHS - having just looked into it quickly after your post I agree it's too high.
It was a figure bandied around by the NHS - having just looked into it quickly after your post I agree it's too high.

Yeah it's really low, like less than 1% per contact or something stupidly low like that. It's a hard virus to contract, but obviously if you're doing this regularly it doesn't take long for the risk to become far greater.
Chances are, you probably have contracted it (statistically) - Joking. You're unlikely to have it, but I would check up on yourself anyway.
There are so many variables that it is almost impossible to say but i feel its pretty unlikely in the instances you quoted.

Of course some of the factors to consider are;

locale..for example you would be much more likely to contract HIV in a major city such as London where it is much more prevalent

Sexual history of the person are having sexual contact with

Sexual activity engaged in

Transmission pathways eg any cuts or abrasions on the skin etc

Quick Reply

Latest