The Student Room Group

Need gap year ideas!

I am taking a year out before I go to uni, I want to travel and make the most of my time before I am tied down in education. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to go? or any companies that people have used? All my friends are either heading to uni or wouldn't want to travel so I would want to go in a group. Iv been saving money for years now so I am lucky enough to have quite a big budget and want to make sure my money goes far. I want to travel half the time and then possibly work or do something within the uk the rest of the time. anyone got any suggestions for that? Thank you!
Original post by heather1874
I am taking a year out before I go to uni, I want to travel and make the most of my time before I am tied down in education. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to go? or any companies that people have used? All my friends are either heading to uni or wouldn't want to travel so I would want to go in a group. Iv been saving money for years now so I am lucky enough to have quite a big budget and want to make sure my money goes far. I want to travel half the time and then possibly work or do something within the uk the rest of the time. anyone got any suggestions for that? Thank you!

With regards to your work in the UK it depends on your needs. If you are as financially stable as you sound then I would suggest doing something that is directly relevant to the degree that you would be applying for. Working in McDonalds looks a lot less attractive to an admissions department than someone that has been a fundraiser for a health charity or in a doctor's surgery if they are going to work in medicine. [And by fundraiser I mean as a legitimate job, not as a one off].
I have a friend who went and did some volunteering in SA and Australia for a while on his gap year, helping to look after lions and stuff.
I have a friend who is planning on taking a gap year this September also. She has recently joined ICS, the International Citizen Service. She is fundraising at the moment and will be going to Ghana in January I believe.

http://www.volunteerics.org/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Amma,

I am planning my gap year and want to travel around South America. I have saved money from summer jobs to pay for flights, accomm and insurance etc but having spoken to a few people who took their gap years earlier, many recommend volunteering in hostels. You save money on acomm by helping out at the bar, receptionist etc.

Some cool websites that help you find those hostels are those such as HelpX but you have to pay a little.
I also found one called Worldpackers, which is free and finds hostels for you, which is pretty cool.

Hope this helps,
Steve
One thing you could do is go out to SE Asia, Cambodia, Thailand etc. it is quite cheap out there, so money will last a while. Plus there will be loads of English speaking tourists, so you can always head out alone and make loads of friends by meeting people in hostels (check the hostel world reviews for the best hostels to meet people).

Also, if you get a visa for Australia, you could go there, work on a farm or something for a few months, get paid a bomb them fly back to Asia with an extra few thousand in the bank.

Firstly i just want to say I'm really excited for you!! I spent 8 months backpacking round India and South East Asia. Its so much easier to do that you would imagine. I would recommend getting the book SE Asia on a shoestring as it covers all countries in that area. A working visa in oz would also be a great experience and adds further things to your CV than travel alone. Do a couple of countries on the way out, then a couple on the way back. Its super cheap so your money would go far. you will meet loads of people doing the same if you are travelling alone.

I would do it all again in a heart beat!! :smile:

Firstly i just want to say I'm really excited for you!! I spent 8 months backpacking round India and South East Asia. Its so much easier to do that you would imagine. I would recommend getting the book SE Asia on a shoestring as it covers all countries in that area. A working visa in oz would also be a great experience and adds further things to your CV than travel alone. Do a couple of countries on the way out, then a couple on the way back. Its super cheap so your money would go far. you will meet loads of people doing the same if you are travelling alone.

I would do it all again in a heart beat!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest