The Student Room Group

I think I need to break-up :( Tied down, too many differences, advice plz!

Scroll to see replies

I know what you mean, i've been with my boyfriend over three years, we've lived together for two of those years and have just moved into a house for a year together with my friends. It's hard feeling tied down and not knowing what to do I moved to the same uni and my boyfriend and after a year I now regretted it and am considering dropping out and doing something else but have a house so have to stay for a year which puts me in a difficult position when I want to move next year and he will of just finished his degree so is on about moving with me. Not knowing what you really want is the worst! Sorry not really advise but just know how you feel!haha If you want to go on a break I'd just do it, tell him that you obviously still care about him but you're not sure if the relationship is something you want anymore. hopefully he can be mature about it and give you some space for you to figure out if it is or it isnt
Reply 41
To be honest, you just feel like you haven't experienced enough and you're not ready for a serious relationship.

He seems like an OK guy except for the finances bit - he seems financially irresponsible and he needs to sort that out

You two need to Talk! Be serious and tell him everything you just told us

I don't think you should break up - you just need to fix some issues and learn to compromise

Tell him you want to be friends again and that you'll date again once you're both truly ready and have fixed the issues

Breaking up over this is too drastic and you most likely will regret. So just put the relationship on hold for now

Tell him this and I'm sure he'll understand
I'll try to keep this as short as possible. I think from your account of the situation, it is evident you still want to get out there and see what the world has to offer you and you feel; directly or indirectly, that he is an hindrance to this. The greatest gift we have in life is choices. With choices comes consequences. So here are your choices; 1. Stay patch-up and live your life wondering what if? 2. Leave and discover the good and bad. At the end of the day, your life is yours and yours alone and so are your choices and the responsibilities that come with them.

Original post by Anonymous
I've been with my boyfriend 1.5 years, but seeing him for 2 years (I was travelling at first and we weren't officially together.) He's been part of my life for 2 years and I can't remember what it was like without him.

I've hit a point that I need a break and our differences/incompatibility is beginning to become more and more evident to me. I don't know what to do- any advice? I know you can't decide for me, but any advice/experience from others would be helpful.

He is a lovely man (25 years old), quite sensitive, good looking (my type physically), dedicated, and we have had some good times together. I love him and don't want to hurt him.

The bad: he's driving me crazy. He is constantly rude to me. He speaks childishly and it is impossible to have a normal conversation with him, let alone a serious one. He makes no sense, has stupid sayings and there's no way of getting through to him. The only time he really talks properly to me is when i'm upset and he is apologising. Also, i feel like i put more effort in than him...

I feel like I'm missing out on so much- not even talking about other guys because I'm not bothered about that. I miss doing things like just going for a drink or clubbing or travelling. He always makes excuses to not go- i love these things, i just want to go dancing, go to a restaurant etc. Excuses normally include, amongst other things, money issues.

We are different financially- i am a second year student at uni, 21 years old, and my parents still support me while he works on and off at different jobs, but that doesn't bother me and i genuinely admire him for it. What bothers me is that he lets his bank account get to 0, he has never pays for anything- he will just pay his share which i think is fair, but i always somehow pay more. He wants to buy the cheapest food available and if i buy something that isn't the cheapest (because i like yo eat fairly well), he has to make a remark about it. I hate buying things when he is around- and i'm definitely not a big spender! I never complain that he only buys cheap food/clothes etc- he can buy what he wants.

He have some major differences politically and on topics like sexuality, immigration & race.

He's faithful. I think my choice of course/uni was sort of influenced by wanting to be closer to him (no regrets.) When I think of the times we were first together, I feel really sad when I think of all the cute things and cool trips we went on. I feel so bad more thinking of ending it.

The thought of leaving him brings both excitement and fear. I am scared I won't find someone who will be faithful and kind to me again (many of my friends say I am lucky to have him but they don't really know him well.) He's mentioned marriage and kids (i'm 4 years younger than him and have big dreams and career goals.) I am going crazy with his childish talk and rudeness- I have told him numerous times to which he changes for only a short time. I feel tied down: i want to travel the world, make more friends at uni and not go home to see him all the time and miss out on socials etc, i want to go clubbing and dance with a guy, i want to go to restaurants without having someone judge me for my order not being the cheapest available! I've suggested all these things but they don't seem to happen- i'd be happy to wait so we can save up but i don't think it will happen then. Makes me sad that all his friends take their gfs on holidays and spend money on them- I'm not a golddiger, i have even offered to pay 75% of whatever holiday we book (instead of half/half) but no plans have emerged.

Sorry it's so long- I have too many thoughts and I love this guy. He wasn't my "first" but he was my first true love. I'm mega confused- i think i need a break but I'm also afraid i'll regret it. I don't want another bf, but i will do in a few years and i'm afraid i won't find someone as faithful and good to me (sounds odd after all the bad points but he is a genuine nice guy and the rudeness can be to wind me up...) I don't want him to hate me either. This time last year i thought i'd marry him and have his children. I don't know what i want!!!!

TDLR: rude, childish boyfriend. feel tied down- want to travel and make more friends at uni. but i love him and he is faithful and kind. lots of differences. scared i'll regret breaking up and will never find someone as faithful or loving. told him lots what bothers me and he hasn't changed. Confused!!
Original post by wani
To be honest, you just feel like you haven't experienced enough and you're not ready for a serious relationship.

He seems like an OK guy except for the finances bit - he seems financially irresponsible and he needs to sort that out

You two need to Talk! Be serious and tell him everything you just told us

I don't think you should break up - you just need to fix some issues and learn to compromise

Tell him you want to be friends again and that you'll date again once you're both truly ready and have fixed the issues

Breaking up over this is too drastic and you most likely will regret. So just put the relationship on hold for now

Tell him this and I'm sure he'll understand

There is way more wrong than just 'finances', and personally, i don't have a problem if we are different in that way, but i agree he needs to be more responsible with money. There are more things- his rudeness, lack of respect, sometimes hurtful comments, his attitude of never wanting to do much... I'm starting to feel more ready to let go :s thanks for the reply (:
Original post by Anonymous
I know what you mean, i've been with my boyfriend over three years, we've lived together for two of those years and have just moved into a house for a year together with my friends. It's hard feeling tied down and not knowing what to do I moved to the same uni and my boyfriend and after a year I now regretted it and am considering dropping out and doing something else but have a house so have to stay for a year which puts me in a difficult position when I want to move next year and he will of just finished his degree so is on about moving with me. Not knowing what you really want is the worst! Sorry not really advise but just know how you feel!haha If you want to go on a break I'd just do it, tell him that you obviously still care about him but you're not sure if the relationship is something you want anymore. hopefully he can be mature about it and give you some space for you to figure out if it is or it isnt

Sorry for this late reply. thanks for your in put. it's good to know i'm not the only 1... i am now less confused (mostly because nothing has changed as i knew it wouldn't!) I am just giving myself time to be ready to let go (hope that doesn't sound selfish!)
UPDATE: Not much has changed (since we had a chat about things i mentioned, he's gone back to the norm as usual). I still get daily rude ( and some kind of hurtful) comments. In some ways, it has got worse because we have become less affectionate and I think his attitude has got worse (he doesn't want to do much with me, even if it's free lmao!) We've had some space and don't see each other more than twice a week now which has helped me see things clearer. I'm (maybe selfishly) waiting to be ready to let go, i'm slowly realising i'd be happier without him and we need to break-up. Next, is how do I do that... it's going to be tough after 2 years :frown: thanks for your replies! (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending