The Student Room Group

Would you consider it 'worse' to rape a virgin?

Poll

Given the scenario in the OP, is it worse to rape the virgin than sexually open gir?

Would you perceive it as morally more reprehensible to rape a woman who was a virgin, really valued sex and was waiting for either the right guy or maybe marriage, than to rape a sexually open woman who'd had plenty of one night stands and casual sex?
(Assuming for the purpose of this questing the perpetrator knew the sexual history of these girls)

DISCLAIMER: Let me just state to avoid any accusations that nobody deserves to be raped, regardless of their sexual history and that rape is always the fault of the rapist.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What in blazes is this horrible question doing in 'relationships'?
Reply 2
Original post by nonswimmer
What in blazes is this horrible question doing in 'relationships'?

My apologies, mods feel free to move it if there's a more appropriate place!
(I see you don't like the question, but do you have answer?)
(edited 9 years ago)
Erm... No. I don't consider it worse. That's like asking if you consider it worse to rape someone who was single or someone who was taken. You could walk down the street naked and still not be "asking for it". Rape is rape and no means no. It's disgusting wether the victim was a virgin or not and it will probably traumatise them either way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joker12345
Would you perceive it as morally more reprehensible to rape a woman who was a virgin, really valued sex and was waiting for either the right guy or maybe marriage, than to rape a sexually open woman who'd had plenty of one night stands and casual sex?
(Assuming for the purpose of this questing the perpetrator knew the sexual history of these girls)

Nope, because that'd be altering the moral valence of a indivisible serious crime of rape in virtue of the womens' sexual preferences which they are free to hold.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Yes, I think this belongs more in the philosophy sub-forum.
No. /thread
Reply 7
Original post by LydiaFirefly<3
Erm... No. I don't consider it worse. That's like asking if you consider it worse to rape someone who was single or someone who was taken. You could walk down the street naked and still not be "asking for it". Rape is rape and no means no. It's disgusting wether the victim was a virgin or not and it will probably traumatise them either way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sort of like that yes but not the same. I knew this would come up, just to clarify I am not suggesting that promiscuous people are asking for it in any way, rape is definitely a crime and is the rapist's fault only.
However, in response to the second bit about traumatising them, don't you think it'd traumatise the girl who's waiting for marriage more? Since she is putting such a high value on sex herself, surely to take that from her will be more upsetting. Not to mention, she'll have no 'normal' sexual experience to compare it with so surely that could mess her up more mentally than someone who's had lots of sex and can see the difference between where it was sex and she consented and where it was a crime against her.
Reply 8
No, but I can see how if would invoke a stronger reaction. Similar to how killing somebody with no family wouldn't invoke as much of a reaction.
Reply 9

So many things wrong with what you are saying.
1. Just because a woman is a virgin doesn't mean she values sex and vice versa.
2. Do women who have casual sex deserve to be raped? Do you think because they like consensual sex they will enjoy non consensual sex?

You're an unintelligent person.
Yes, I'd say so.
Well it would probably be better for the rapist. The tighter the better. But for the rapee, I suppose at least she now doesn't need to worry about not having lost her virginity.
Original post by ldsbabe
So many things wrong with what you are saying.
1. Just because a woman is a virgin doesn't mean she values sex and vice versa.
2. Do women who have casual sex deserve to be raped? Do you think because they like consensual sex they will enjoy non consensual sex?

You're an unintelligent person.

And you are a person who didn't read my OP.
1) I stated, clearly, that in this instance she's a virgin because she's waiting, either for the right guy or for marriage. I even stated that she really valued sex. My question was then about this particular example, as I stated that the rapist knew their sexual history.
2) I've already stated that nobody deserves to be raped etc, I'll add that in my OP since it's clear that people love to jump to conclusions about this topic.
I'm pretty content with my intelligence, thanks. More content now that I've been able to debate a point without resorting to making it personal, unlike you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Caedus
Yes, I think this belongs more in the philosophy sub-forum.

Thanks, I've posted asking mods to move it if they want.

Original post by Maid Marian
Yes, I'd say so.

Would either of you care to elaborate on why?
And you are a person who didn't read my OP.
1) I stated, clearly, that in this instance she's a virgin because she's waiting, either for the right guy or for marriage. I even stated that she really valued sex. My question was then about this particular example, as I stated that the rapist knew their sexual history.
2) I've already stated that nobody likes to be raped etc, I'll add that in my OP since it's clear that people love to jump to conclusions about this topic.
I'm pretty content with my intelligence, thanks. More content now that I've been able to debate a point without resorting to making it personal, unlike you.

I can't understand why you would even fathom to ask such a question. It could be a potential trigger for someone on the board. What exactly are you trying to find out?
Original post by Maid Marian
Yes, I'd say so.

How? Rape is sick and there is no worse version of it, plain wrong full stop
Original post by ldsbabe
I can't understand why you would even fathom to ask such a question. It could be a potential trigger for someone on the board. What exactly are you trying to find out?

I thought i was on tumblr for a second.

Also, calm down :colondollar:
Sort of like that yes but not the same. I knew this would come up, just to clarify I am not suggesting that promiscuous people are asking for it in any way, rape is definitely a crime and is the rapist's fault only.
However, in response to the second bit about traumatising them, don't you think it'd traumatise the girl who's waiting for marriage more? Since she is putting such a high value on sex herself, surely to take that from her will be more upsetting. Not to mention, she'll have no 'normal' sexual experience to compare it with so surely that could mess her up more mentally than someone who's had lots of sex and can see the difference between where it was sex and she consented and where it was a crime against her.

Like someone else said, not everyone is waiting for marriage to have sex, some people just haven't had a serious b/gf. But I guess in some cases a woman who is a virgin may be traumatised more if she feels like it's her fault for losing her virginity (i.e. She is religious and believes in no sex before marriage). I think the victim could be traumatised either way tbh, some might be scared of all men after and/or sex generally. In my opinion though no, I think it's equally as bad wither you're a virgin or not, though I can understand that if you were raped as a virgin then looking back and realising how awful your first time was might be upsetting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ldsbabe

There are plenty of posts about rape on TSR, this isn't the first. I'm trying to find out people's views on the morality of a crime committed against two separate people. If you are offended by that, feel free to leave the thread.
I can see where you're coming from and it would make sense that it would be 'worse' in a sense, but honestly i don't it would be for the person. I think most girls would be equally traumatised regardless of their sex life.

Latest

Trending

Trending