The Student Room Group

Frenulum breve, is surgery essential or are steroid creams effective?

So basically I am 19 years old, I have never been able to retract my foreskin over the head and for years I assumed I had phimosis. Recently I have been trying regularly and can almost pull it over although when I take my fingers away the foreskin quickly pulls itself up. It also feels like I'm pushing my foreskin through a tight hole. However recently I think I may have a frenulum breve as when I pull as far back as I can without any pain I can't retract anymore because the frenulum is very short and feels like it is attached to the glans. I should also mention that I have eczema so my skin including the skin on my penis is very dry. I heard steroid creams can help stretch the banjo so if that works even if it takes a few months I'd prefer that to surgery but heard from some people that steroid creams aren't that effective. I was reading up about a surgery called a frenuloplasty which basically increases the length of the frenulum making full retraction possible. I was also reading about a less popular surgery called a frenectomy which removes the frenulum completely. I heard the frenuloplasty is a simple procedure and you get put under general anaesthetic so you don't feel a thing. Only problem is you have to be sexually abstinent for a month after surgery which will be difficult for any nineteen year old male. I am starting uni in September and am still a virgin I really don't want to refrain from getting a girlfriend if I meet a girl I get on well with and like and also don't want to put her through any awkwardness as well if we have to refrain from sex. I've heard lots of people still have sex with phimosis or frenulum breve however I have also heard of other very graphic painful and embarrassing times people have broken their frenulum during sex. If it is that likely I am not risking the pain and humiliation of that. I also want losing my virginity to be an amazing pleasurable experince and I've heard having sex with phimosis can be the opposite. However if this surgery will benefit my sexual health and sex life in the future it is definitely the best option but if steroid creams actually work with increasing the length of the frenulum and pulling the foreskin fully over the head I'd definitely prefer that. How would I get steroid cream? Can you just buy it over the counter at a chemist and also what cream is best and how would I apply it? Would I put it on my frenulum just under my glans then pull my foreskin back up again? I am getting worried about this and would only rather see a doctor/urologist as a last resort. Do steroid creams actually work or should I make an appointment with my doctor about seeing a urologist?
Boyfriend has phimosis and it can be resolved by gradually exercises the foreskin, lightly stretching it everyday for about 6-8 weeks. I don’t know if this is helpful to your situation or not but it’s worked for us.
Reply 2
If you don't mind me asking, did he have any real problems pain wise having sex before he did the stretches? I just don't want to have sex with a girl and be in any pain or worse tearing my foreskin.
Original post by Anonymous
Boyfriend has phimosis and it can be resolved by gradually exercises the foreskin, lightly stretching it everyday for about 6-8 weeks. I don’t know if this is helpful to your situation or not but it’s worked for us.
If you don't mind me asking, did he have any real problems pain wise having sex before he did the stretches? I just don't want to have sex with a girl and be in any pain or worse tearing my foreskin.

Tbh we we’re both still virgins. We discovered the problem before having sex and he’s now trying to sort it out. We’ll try once he thinks he’s ready (also including overcoming ED caused by anxiety which is a separate issue but is also important to consider)
He didn’t understand how other guys could pull their foreskin back and showed me how his didn’t and that forcing it caused discomfort. I explained it may be phimosis (no medical diagnosis) and since he didn’t want to get a doctor involved he decided to try stretching exercises. It’s actually still in early stages but neither of us are bothered if we have to wait. It is known that a condom may help as it holds the foreskin in place so it isn’t pulled back by the friction. You could practice with a condom yourself first, try putting it on and seeing is it causes any movement or pain.
So basically I am 19 years old, I have never been able to retract my foreskin over the head and for years I assumed I had phimosis. Recently I have been trying regularly and can almost pull it over although when I take my fingers away the foreskin quickly pulls itself up. It also feels like I'm pushing my foreskin through a tight hole. However recently I think I may have a frenulum breve as when I pull as far back as I can without any pain I can't retract anymore because the frenulum is very short and feels like it is attached to the glans. I should also mention that I have eczema so my skin including the skin on my penis is very dry. I heard steroid creams can help stretch the banjo so if that works even if it takes a few months I'd prefer that to surgery but heard from some people that steroid creams aren't that effective. I was reading up about a surgery called a frenuloplasty which basically increases the length of the frenulum making full retraction possible. I was also reading about a less popular surgery called a frenectomy which removes the frenulum completely. I heard the frenuloplasty is a simple procedure and you get put under general anaesthetic so you don't feel a thing. Only problem is you have to be sexually abstinent for a month after surgery which will be difficult for any nineteen year old male. I am starting uni in September and am still a virgin I really don't want to refrain from getting a girlfriend if I meet a girl I get on well with and like and also don't want to put her through any awkwardness as well if we have to refrain from sex. I've heard lots of people still have sex with phimosis or frenulum breve however I have also heard of other very graphic painful and embarrassing times people have broken their frenulum during sex. If it is that likely I am not risking the pain and humiliation of that. I also want losing my virginity to be an amazing pleasurable experince and I've heard having sex with phimosis can be the opposite. However if this surgery will benefit my sexual health and sex life in the future it is definitely the best option but if steroid creams actually work with increasing the length of the frenulum and pulling the foreskin fully over the head I'd definitely prefer that. How would I get steroid cream? Can you just buy it over the counter at a chemist and also what cream is best and how would I apply it? Would I put it on my frenulum just under my glans then pull my foreskin back up again? I am getting worried about this and would only rather see a doctor/urologist as a last resort. Do steroid creams actually work or should I make an appointment with my doctor about seeing a urologist?

Hi!

I had a frenuloplasty 2 weeks ago so wanted to give my experience. My foreskin detached from my glands quite late and therefore had quite a tight foreskin and sensitive glands. However over the years my foreskin become gradually less tight and the glands became less sensitive. However my frenulum was still tight. I could retract my foreskin to the base of the glands however the frenulum appeared white and would sometimes be uncomfortable during sex. It was far more comfortable to have sex with the foreskin covering the glands - but obviously this isnt ideal. I made an appointment with the GP and explained my problem. I was referred to a urologist and given a steroid cream to try. I attended the appointment which took only five minuets and the urologist agreed the the frenulum was a bit tight. I had the procedure just over a month later.

The procedure was done under local anaesthetic - they injected the frenulum which removed all pain. I then went into theatre and had the procedure performed. I waited on the ward for about 30 minuets before getting picked up. I experienced very little pain during and after the procedure. I didnt even feel like I needed to take paracetamol. The stitches started falling out after a week. Its looking good now. There isnt a big difference in appearance and I doubt anyone would notice. I haven't been sexually active since the procedure however I would imagine it would be more comfortable now.

So far I am really happy with my experience! I would recommend seeing your GP and they will be able to give you guidance. Feel free to ask anymore questions! I happy to answer anything
Hi! This may be a little late but can you give a few updates on your experiece after the surgery like is it comfortable during sex or masturbation?
Reply 6
Hey man. I know this is late but I would be so grateful if you replied. I have the same problem. I have self diagnosed myself with frenulum breve. I am also about to go to uni in September. I am also a virgin. Feels so so good to hear someone with such a similar story. Felt a little bit alone before I read all that if that don’t sound weird. Anyway, I was just wondering how you solved your problem. Did you end up getting surgery or end up using steroid creams? Thanks mate.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hey man. I know this was a while back now but I wanted to know how you are doing after your frenuloplasty as I think I might need one. How is sex after it now? And did you go privately to get it done and if so how much did it cost overall? Cheers mate.
Hey guys,

I just thought I write about my story, because after being at university for a year there is only a handful of studies and not a lot of information on this type of issue.

I am now 18 years of age. When I was younger (around 10ish) I went to the GP with a suspected phimosis, however the Doctor said that my issue would clear up with age. Time had past until I was 18, with no suspected issue, and went to university and found myself in my first relationship. I thought I was really going to enjoy intercourse, but found it very uncomfortable - to the point where I couldn't climax. My girlfriend at the time pointed out that the penile frenulum was very tight; it looked like a white piece of tissue. Unfortunately, I had the pressure and embarrassment of this issue and university to tend with; I struggled quite badly. This issue was discovered through the pandemic, so the only GP appointment I could get was over the phone, bit hard in my opinion. I got prescribed a steroid cream (betamethasone valerate 0.1%) for 30 days where the issue would be reviewed.

At this point, I knew that the creams wouldn't work. But I applied the cream twice a day for 30 days with no avail. I then got prescribed a new steroid cream called Clobaderm (very potent for another month) but that still didn't work. For me personally, I was really struggling with putting the creams on, just found it very embarrassing and debilitating. Tried to go through the NHS but they had an incredibly long waiting list, due to the back up from COVID, So I decided that to get this issue sorted because it was affecting me quite badly, I would go private. Went originally to SPIRE (£180), however they couldn't give me a date and I wanted it done before I went back to university for my second year. So I went elsewhere, had a consultation (£200) and had the operation three weeks later (£1744) under local anaesthetic. I had it done on the 23rd of July 2021, and now 4 days down the line it is starting to get slightly better. I can now sleep through the night, get the odd erection which stretches the stiches, which is quite painful. There is a significant amount of blood within the first few days, and the day after the op they ask you to retract your foreskin regularly (Doctor said every time you go to the loo) and keep the wound clean. Sometimes this can pull the stiches and cause a little blood but is to be expected.

To answer some question, I found that the steroid creams worked to a point but not much further from there. So depending on your degree of tightness it might be worth the time for steroid creams. Most doctors recommend that surgical methods are the only real true way to cure this issue, but due to NHS you have to start with the creams. However, from my own experience I really struggled with the creams, but my girlfriend helped me through it. Unfortunately, this issue started to affect me to the point where I put too much of a burden on my girlfriend and things broke off. Nevertheless, even a few days after the procedure I can see an improvement in the range of motion, so I am hopeful for the future.

Hope this helps some people.
Hey man. I know this was a while back now but I wanted to know how you are doing after your frenuloplasty as I think I might need one. How is sex after it now? And did you go privately to get it done and if so how much did it cost overall? Cheers mate.

Hi man,

I haven’t checked tsr for ages so sorry for the late reply. Now 2yrs post frenuloplasty. The frenuloplasty helped me a lot. It made sex a lot more comfortable. I still have a tight foreskin but can retract fully and it doesn’t give me issues 90% of the time. Occasionally I will get little cuts on the phimotic ring but again not a huge issue. I find that using lube during sex makes it a lot more comfortable and I find this a lot more preferable than circumcision.

I am glad that I had the procedure. Had it done on the NHS. Was referred by a GP, attended 1 pre op assessment (literally 5 mins with the urologist) and then 1 outpatient operation with a follow up call with a nurse a couple weeks later. This was pre covid so not sure what’s happened to the waiting list. Think I waited a month or two.

On a side note it’s actually quite a common problem and I have found my partners really understanding. Just told them to be a little more gentle and to use lube.

Have you ever considered asking him to get a circumcision and Frenulectomy?

I recommend you just put the cream away.. Go get a Low and tight circumcision and Frenulectomy.
Problem solved!

Quick Reply

Latest