The Student Room Group

Uni Students: What's in your bag on a typical day at uni

Mainly just wondering if i will need to take my laptop to uni everyday

Scroll to see replies

Pen, paper and water.

I never need my laptop since the lecturer's notes are always on the board. I don't understand people who bring their laptops in to have the same notes in front of them. Laptops can also be a distraction during lectures - when lectures get boring you can be tempted to go on facebook and stuff.

If I bring my laptop to uni, it'll be for use outside lectures.
notebook, pen and a few highlighters, lecture handout (they usually get put up on the vle just before the lecture at my uni), water and a snack if I have a full day with no breaks (or a particularly long and boring lecture).

Very few people use their laptops where I am and personally I can't organise my notes right on a computer. I like to draw lots of arrows and boxes and use different colours to highlight important points. Takes far too much time on a laptop. SOme people do bring in tablets though which are more practical.
Reply 3
Original post by Pink Boy
Pen, paper and water.

I never need my laptop since the lecturer's notes are always on the board. I don't understand people who bring their laptops in to have the same notes in front of them. Laptops can also be a distraction during lectures - when lectures get boring you can be tempted to go on facebook and stuff.

If I bring my laptop to uni, it'll be for use outside lectures.

The distraction thing would probably happen to me.:colondollar: thank you for the advice
Reply 4
Original post by feathered-soul
notebook, pen and a few highlighters, lecture handout (they usually get put up on the vle just before the lecture at my uni), water and a snack if I have a full day with no breaks (or a particularly long and boring lecture).

Very few people use their laptops where I am and personally I can't organise my notes right on a computer. I like to draw lots of arrows and boxes and use different colours to highlight important points. Takes far too much time on a laptop. SOme people do bring in tablets though which are more practical.

This sounds a lot like what i'm used to - handwritten notes. So you print the lecture handouts yourself? :smile: Already got me some highlighters ready i'm a colourcoder:colondollar: :u: thanks for the advice
Lecture notes (in a folder), notebook, pencil-case, toilet bag (containing wet wipes, hand sanitizer, tissue, hand cream, lozenges, mouthwash and spare hair-bands), a bottle of water, umbrella and something to snack on like a bag of almonds.
Stationary, water bottle, notebook, lecture notes (if I have them in advance). That's about it really - I don't bring my laptop, because I can cycle back home in at most 15 minutes.
Reply 7
Original post by PythianLegume
Stationary, water bottle, notebook, lecture notes (if I have them in advance). That's about it really - I don't bring my laptop, because I can cycle back home in at most 15 minutes.

Looks like my mum was right :blush: Wont be needing to take my laptop after all :biggrin:

Original post by Technetium
Lecture notes (in a folder), notebook, pencil-case, toilet bag (containing wet wipes, hand sanitizer, tissue, hand cream, lozenges, mouthwash and spare hair-bands), a bottle of water, umbrella and something to snack on like a bag of almonds.

Second time someone has mentioned food! I thought people are not allowed to eat in lectures? :tongue:
Original post by CocoaPowder
Second time someone has mentioned food! I thought people are not allowed to eat in lectures? :tongue:

No-one gives a **** about it, even though it is usually against the rules.
Looks like my mum was right :blush: Wont be needing to take my laptop after all :biggrin:

In some lecture halls there are signs forbidding the consumption of food and drinks but nobody pays attention to them. :biggrin:
No-one gives a **** about it, even though it is usually against the rules.

Oh i see it's like in high school how texting in class and eating in the lab isn't allowed :ahee:
Original post by Technetium
In some lecture halls there are signs forbidding the consumption of food and drinks but nobody pays attention to them. :biggrin:

rebels:colone:
Oh i see it's like in high school how texting in class and eating in the lab isn't allowed :ahee:

No, when I said no-one, I meant even the staff.
No, when I said no-one, I meant even the staff.

alright i understand now :smile:
Pencil case (including pens, pencils, erasers, coloured pens, highlighters), pre-holepunched notepad, small ringbinder (for storing notes in), lecture handouts (we get them given to us at the start of each lecture series - although some universities require you to print them off yourself), snacks, some supervision work (to do in the awkward hour gap between lectures when I can't be bothered to cycle back home. Admittedly occasionally done during lectures if they're really boring...), money (to buy coffee), flask (if I can be bothered to make coffee/ hot chocolate in advance, which is very rare since I would have to wake up 5 minutes earlier...), water bottle.
I would advise taking a laptop. Lecturers have the minimum notes up, yes, but they will tell you extra things that should be written down. Unless you write faster than you type, I would take a laptop tbh. Plus with a laptop you can arrange things neatly; I tried paper notes for a while, all that happened was they got crumpled at the bottom of the bag somewhere/thrown away mistakenly/lost in a huge pile of other paperwork.
Pen and Paper - not in a bag just folded in a pocket or wallet
The only time I've taken my laptop into uni was when I've been doing group work and needed it. Wouldn't bother in lectures - it's far easier to hand write notes in my opinion. I'm a fast typer, but the sound of keys in a lecture theatre is annoying and I'm also less likely to look back at them.

In my bag I usually have a notebook, pens, my filofax, water bottle, tissues, some form of food (there's always going to be a break at some point if you don't snack through the lecture), purse, keys and I think that's generally it to be honest. If you live in halls you'll likely be a few minutes walk away from lectures so you don't need a lot of things with you!
Original post by infairverona
I would advise taking a laptop. Lecturers have the minimum notes up, yes, but they will tell you extra things that should be written down. Unless you write faster than you type, I would take a laptop tbh. Plus with a laptop you can arrange things neatly; I tried paper notes for a while, all that happened was they got crumpled at the bottom of the bag somewhere/thrown away mistakenly/lost in a huge pile of other paperwork.

What software do you use to type your notes? I have seen onenote which is really good for organisation and making notes look neat. And I always seem to end up with stray bits of papers when I handwrite my notes
Original post by katehlouise
The only time I've taken my laptop into uni was when I've been doing group work and needed it. Wouldn't bother in lectures - it's far easier to hand write notes in my opinion. I'm a fast typer, but the sound of keys in a lecture theatre is annoying and I'm also less likely to look back at them.

In my bag I usually have a notebook, pens, my filofax, water bottle, tissues, some form of food (there's always going to be a break at some point if you don't snack through the lecture), purse, keys and I think that's generally it to be honest. If you live in halls you'll likely be a few minutes walk away from lectures so you don't need a lot of things with you!

It's true i porbably wouldn't look at them much, also i take in more info when i write than when i type :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending