The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

How often do Durham students head to newcastle for nights out?

firmed durham but worried i wont get the nightlife uni experience (of course if all is okay by septemebr) can anyone help?
Depends on the load of work you have, whether you're feeling like it, whether there's something more interesting going on around town and if your friends are up for it. Personally, I used to go once per month. Otherwise, the college bars after getting smashed at formal, town clubs and private parties used to do the job!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
How long is a piece of string?

It all depends on your group of friends. There's people going every weekend if that's your scene.
Reply 3
Original post by Aldwulf
Depends on the load of work you have, whether you're feeling like it, whether there's something more interesting going on around town and if your friends are up for it. Personally, I used to go once per month. Otherwise, the college bars after getting smashed at formal, town clubs and private parties used to do the job!

Thanks for answering! What was ur experience like overall at Durham- was it boring or was it actually pretty good and what i've heard is just rumours?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
How long is a piece of string?

It all depends on your group of friends. There's people going every weekend if that's your scene.

Thanks! Yeah it is my scene :smile: Do you go to Durham, if so i'm allocated Collingwood- do you know anything about it?
Thanks for answering! What was ur experience like overall at Durham- was it boring or was it actually pretty good and what i've heard is just rumours?

I loved every minute of it. Coming from a London boy, I can tell you that it wasn't boring at all for me. It's what you make of it and who your group of friends are that end up making your entire experience. There isn't something always going on per se but you can just initiate a party at any random time and invite a bunch of people, all good. On the weekends though, it's pretty lit I'd say lol.
Reply 6
Original post by Aldwulf
I loved every minute of it. Coming from a London boy, I can tell you that it wasn't boring at all for me. It's what you make of it and who your group of friends are that end up making your entire experience. There isn't something always going on per se but you can just initiate a party at any random time and invite a bunch of people, all good. On the weekends though, it's pretty lit I'd say lol.

Thanks man, london lad here too so yeah like u i'm from a pretty lit nightlife! What college were u at? Also, would u still say u got a typical uni experience if u know what i mean?
Thanks man, london lad here too so yeah like u i'm from a pretty lit nightlife! What college were u at? Also, would u still say u got a typical uni experience if u know what i mean?

I was at Castle.

The university experience is very unique as the whole town kind of revolves around the university, yet there are locals as well. Everyone sooorrt of (but not really) knows everyone in Durham since you don't get lost in a big city but see familiar faces everyday which is kind of cool I suppose. There are certain traditions which are interesting such as formals, pub crawls, the balls, etc.

All in all, you feel like you're somewhere important and you'll meet some people who will become your friends/acquaintances for life whether they're professors, students or visitors. Personally, I wouldn't have chosen to go anywhere else. Durham changed my life to the better.

Also, there's always wine around the university for some reason lol. For dinners, seminars when lecturers from other universities come and present, and just at some shocking times really which is a bit odd but, as a wine lover, no complaints here.
(edited 3 years ago)
It may not be an issue or option for the first term or even year you are there, so traditions in the university may be the best option.
Reply 9
Thanks! Yeah it is my scene :smile: Do you go to Durham, if so i'm allocated Collingwood- do you know anything about it?

I’ve been allocated to Collingwood too & im the same lol I wanna go out as well as work hard
Original post by keren105
I’ve been allocated to Collingwood too & im the same lol I wanna go out as well as work hard

Did you firm? I did! If so, what u studying?

Yep, am at Durham. Collingwood is nice, pretty sporty and not as traditional as the bailey ones. Pretty **** at rowing tho.

I just hope you guys don't miss out on freshers (probably cancelled) as it is absolutely wild.
Yep, am at Durham. Collingwood is nice, pretty sporty and not as traditional as the bailey ones. Pretty **** at rowing tho.

I just hope you guys don't miss out on freshers (probably cancelled) as it is absolutely wild.

Ah okay and i hope so!!! We've been told they are planning for it as usual so fingers crossed.

How is it wild? need something to keep me hyped haha
Original post by Anonymous #1
firmed durham but worried i wont get the nightlife uni experience (of course if all is okay by septemebr) can anyone help?
Hi ! I know this thread is fairly old now but I got an offer from Durham and am also from london, considering firming but also a bit worried about the nightlife - it's not the most important thing but definitely something I want to experience at uni , how did you find it in the end?
Original post by Anonymous #3
Hi ! I know this thread is fairly old now but I got an offer from Durham and am also from london, considering firming but also a bit worried about the nightlife - it's not the most important thing but definitely something I want to experience at uni , how did you find it in the end?
Hi there

I am a third year student so can offer some insight. In my experience, nightlife in Durham is quite alright- I wouldn't rank it less than 6. I'm not someone who goes out very often- maybe once or twice a month- but whenever I do, I really enjoy it. Most students tend to go to college bars as there are 17 of them. College bar crawls are super common and you can either do one yourself or join one organized by societies. There are several local bars and clubs too and the most student-dominated ones are Fabios, Jimmys, Klute, Katie O'Briens, and so many more. If you want a bigger city vibe, Newcastle is just 13 minutes away by train which costs about £5 for a round trip.

If you're not into drinking then you can still go on these night outs and just not drink or choose non-alcoholic beverages. Alternatively, societies also hold events in the evening which you can join. I know the Curry Club organizes curry nights at one of the restaurants in town which you can buy tickets for. Castle organized a paint-and-sip event for Valentines Day where you could paint your own tote bags, have a mocktail and snacks or just meet new people. Events like these are usually open to all Durham students although, owing to limited seating, students from the host college may be given priority in booking.

Hope that gives you a better idea but if you wanna know more about it and hear from other people, you can talk to students on Unibuddy- https://www.durham.ac.uk/study/student-connect/unibuddy/

-Himieka
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Durham Students
Hi there

I am a third year student so can offer some insight. In my experience, nightlife in Durham is quite alright- I wouldn't rank it less than 6. I'm not someone who goes out very often- maybe once or twice a month- but whenever I do, I really enjoy it. Most students tend to go to college bars as there are 17 of them. College bar crawls are super common and you can either do one yourself or join one organized by societies. There are several local bars and clubs too and the most student-dominated ones are Fabios, Jimmys, Klute, Katie O'Briens, and so many more. If you want a bigger city vibe, Newcastle is just 13 minutes away by train which costs about £5 for a round trip.

If you're not into drinking then you can still go on these night outs and just not drink or choose non-alcoholic beverages. Alternatively, societies also hold events in the evening which you can join. I know the Curry Club organizes curry nights at one of the restaurants in town which you can buy tickets for. Castle is organizing a paint-and-sip event for Valentines Day where you can paint your own tote bags, have a mocktail and snacks or just meet new people. It's usually open to all Durham students although, owing to limited seating, Castle students may be given priority in booking.

Hope that gives you a better idea but if you wanna know more about it and hear from other people, you can talk to students on Unibuddy- https://www.durham.ac.uk/study/student-connect/unibuddy/

-Himieka
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all of that to me , it helped a lot and I really appreciate it! paint and sip sounds adorable

Quick Reply

Latest