The Student Room Group

I would like to study medicine but am extremely underprepared

Is it too late for me to pursue the idea of studying medicine in university? Currently, I'm studying Bio, Chem, Maths and Economics and am expected to get AAAB in my AS.
Going onto U6 in September and I have not written up my personal statement, nor have decided which university I want to go. I also am aware that I need to do UKCAT test in order to study it. I haven't even gotten any work experience or volunteering done at all and I do almost nothing of an extra-curricular nature in school. Is it realistic of me to still want to study medicine at uni and become a doctor?

Pharmacy is also an alternative for me as I've heard it's much more relaxing and there are less demanding requirements such as UKCAT but is less rewarding.

What should I do?
Reply 1
Most of it wasn't going badly - grades are reasonable, subjects are fine, you've got time to write a statement and decide...

Unfortunately, without volunteering and work experience you're never going to be a competitive candidate at this stage.
Take a gap year and try to get work as a HCA if you really want to do medicine. Worst case scenario you get an extra year to figure out what you really want to do and you'll probably make a bit of money on the side
Reply 3
Original post by TheWrongTrick
Is it too late for me to pursue the idea of studying medicine in university? Currently, I'm studying Bio, Chem, Maths and Economics and am expected to get AAAB in my AS.
Going onto U6 in September and I have not written up my personal statement, nor have decided which university I want to go. I also am aware that I need to do UKCAT test in order to study it. I haven't even gotten any work experience or volunteering done at all and I do almost nothing of an extra-curricular nature in school. Is it realistic of me to still want to study medicine at uni and become a doctor?

Pharmacy is also an alternative for me as I've heard it's much more relaxing and there are less demanding requirements such as UKCAT but is less rewarding.

What should I do?

Due to the sheer saturation of pharmacy graduates, if you really want to study medicine I'd go for that in terms of job prospects (From what I have seen around). I am going to contradict what everyone else has said and say seriously consider it but be aware of the following points :biggrin: If all these do some like an issue, take the year out to build up your profile a little more anyway.

-Volunteering will be an issue unless you have previous experience in areas which you may not know count for example working in a shop, mentoring young children (Like me!), helping in a local library. Anything which seems like you are giving back to the community and provide you with the skills required to be a good doctor and medical student. It does not have to be linked directly to a clinical setting but definitely shows dedication, communication skills and interaction.

-Work experience, depending on your GP Practice you could easily get a placement or two for the end of the summer. Call up frantically or go their in person for a more urgent response. If you have contacts or someone who has contacts into a hospital, even not with a doctor initially and then ask for a few days shadowing a doctor you could just do enough.

-UKCAT. If you book now and pick up some books and resources, you could do the exam for the end of September as there are few slots leftover by this point.

-Extracurricular stuff is not important really unless its linkable to medicine. The key idea here is also about releasing stress and being more than a drone who will be in the medical library all the time.

Good luck :smile: (Potential competition :P)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
No work experience?

Not a realistic chance at all.
Original post by Nymthae
Most of it wasn't going badly - grades are reasonable, subjects are fine, you've got time to write a statement and decide...

Unfortunately, without volunteering and work experience you're never going to be a competitive candidate at this stage.

Original post by Jkizer
No work experience?

Is pharmacy a reasonable alternative for me then? Without any work experience and without doing the UKCAT test.
Reply 6
Original post by Jkizer
No work experience?

Not necessarily. Work experience if the OP is extremely lucky could include shadowing a GP for a while. Some universities are more concerned with understanding rather than exposure, their emphasis on a realistic view into medicine so if the OP showed this and their 'passion' as such, they could dazzle the admissions officer.
(edited 9 years ago)

What should I do?

A gap year may be in order but you are still very much a realistic candidate provided decent GCSE grades are part of the application.

Not having written your PS and chosen your choices is not an issue. You will need to have sorted this out by October 15th (provided you are applying this year) but it really is not that big a deal as I was no way near having mine done nor having chosen where to apply by this stage.

My advice, is to wait for your AS grades and do some prep for UKCAT (also considering Uni choice make sure that you do not have to sit the BMAT as well). The important thing is to get some work experience and volunteering ASAP - if you want to apply for this cycle. If you are happy with a gap year then you are in quite a solid position (fingers crossed for AS grades obviously) as you can get a lot of experience and volunteering which admissions tutors will adore.

Another important point with work experience is (without sounding patronising) is to make sure that you really want to be a doctor - some people are definite to be a doc but get work experience and loathe it.

Anyhow, good luck and feel free to PM if you have any queries.

What should I do?

If you really want to become a doctor, spend year 13 doing the volunteering and work experience stuff. Then apply. You'll be in a much better position :smile:
Is pharmacy a reasonable alternative for me then? Without any work experience and without doing the UKCAT test.

Get a day work experience in a pharmacy and you'll realise how bad of a job it is.
Reply 10

What should I do?

If you fancy medicine stick in an application you've nothing to lose. And spend the year getting prepared, plan a gap year, start volunteering, get work experience. You'll find it far easier once you're 18!
Don't commit to pharmacy just because you're in a rush to go to uni, it's better to get onto a course you are really passionate about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending