The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Do you have any questions about Keele uni? Ask away

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cinnie
In my experience, not too easy. There are some on-campus jobs, but jobs elsewhere in newcastle are hard to come by. HOWEVER if you have caring/support work experience and a car you will find those types of jobs easily.

Okay, thankyou! Im going to be a very poor student haha
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 61
Original post by Cinnie
BEAUT! One of the best :smile:

Thanks
Original post by Cinnie
Hey, I'm doing biochem (we share a lot of the same modules) so hopefully I can help too.

Most of the time the modules are weighted towards exams (usually between 60 and 75% depending on module and year), but the rest is made of lab reports, essays and group work such as posters.

The workload is totally manageable in first and second year. I third year it is tough going but still do-able - you just have to be more organised with your time.

PBL (case studies) was my favorite part of year one. You get into groups and discuss a case, and then have a few sessions to research it and develop your understanding further with the rest of your group.

I love our life sciences department. They are more than happy to help with anything you need and finding resources are never a problem. The reason I changed from biomed to biochem after first year was because I hated the med lab sciences module (mostly because of the lecturers to be honest - sorry Glen)... but everyone else is fantastic. (PS, some people liked Glen, I think he's a bit like marmite)

Oh awesome :smile: thank you ^^ Will steer away from Glen...? Hehe, thanks for the help.
hey, i have heard the dress code is always quite casuall for the SU but are there any events in freshers week which are particularly dress/heels kind of events? Or shall i not bother with that kind of wardrobe at all? e.g. whats the freshers ball dress code? Thanks hehe :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by pollypocket29
I've just started the "pre-enrollment" thing on the it account thing; its asking me for a photo for the keele ID, does anyone know if this has to be an actual passport photo or can it just be one i've taken myself?

I just used a normal photo of myself, I.e. Hair down and glasses, I assume that if it was such a problem they'd probably ask to take another when we get there...
Reply 65
Original post by Ciaraxoctix
hey, i have heard the dress code is always quite casuall for the SU but are there any events in freshers week which are particularly dress/heels kind of events? Or shall i not bother with that kind of wardrobe at all? e.g. whats the freshers ball dress code? Thanks hehe :smile:

I wore skirts/dresses to every event (and heels)... You won't see any girls wearing jeans and hoodies, haha. Maybe when they say that the dress code is casual, they mean for the non-event nights. When there is an event (e,g, freshers), you dress like you're going out for the night...

That said if you're not comfortable in something then by all means wear whatever you like!

Check out these photo's for an idea
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Keele-SU-Entertainments/90955343020?sk=photos_stream
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by pollypocket29
I've just started the "pre-enrollment" thing on the it account thing; its asking me for a photo for the keele ID, does anyone know if this has to be an actual passport photo or can it just be one i've taken myself?

Just a normal photo as long as it's just you and you're just smiling or neutral.
I'm a new postgraduate starting at the University. I'll be living in halls, but I'm based at the Institute of Science and Technology in Medicine, Guy Hilton Research Centre, Thornburrow Drive Hartshill Campus. Which is near the University Hospital? Just wondering how travel to and from campus is? It simple enough to just get the 25 bus? And how much time do you think it would take to walk it?
Original post by Nick_1190
I'm a new postgraduate starting at the University. I'll be living in halls, but I'm based at the Institute of Science and Technology in Medicine, Guy Hilton Research Centre, Thornburrow Drive Hartshill Campus. Which is near the University Hospital? Just wondering how travel to and from campus is? It simple enough to just get the 25 bus? And how much time do you think it would take to walk it?

Last year you would have had to get two buses but they've changed the route of the main bus to Keele so it goes past the hospital. It takes about half an hour on the new 3 bus which was the 25. It'd take you a good 45 mins or more to walk to the hospital from the university.
Original post by kate113855
Last year you would have had to get two buses but they've changed the route of the main bus to Keele so it goes past the hospital. It takes about half an hour on the new 3 bus which was the 25. It'd take you a good 45 mins or more to walk to the hospital from the university.

Ok awesome, thankyou! :smile:
Hi I just had some questions:

1) How do I apply for the laundrettes (is there a card you have for that?)
2) Bus tickets/pass....what is the process for this and how much will it cost for the year approx?
3) What are the nearest supermarkets and stores?
4) G.P. I was told you have to apply for too?

Please shed some light on these queries for me. Thank You!! :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by Disha1531
Hi I just had some questions:

1) How do I apply for the laundrettes (is there a card you have for that?)
2) Bus tickets/pass....what is the process for this and how much will it cost for the year approx?
3) What are the nearest supermarkets and stores?
4) G.P. I was told you have to apply for too?

Please shed some light on these queries for me. Thank You!! :smile:

1) You will be told all about this in your induction - don't worry :smile:
2) You get your bus pass from the information building at the newcastle under lyme bus station - it's just over £300 for the whole year
3) Nearest supermarkets are a short bus ride away - either Sainsburys or Morrisons. Keele is in a bit of a bubble so it's a long walk or bus to get shopping unless you buy from the keele shop (not bad price-wise but not very big), or get shopping delivered every week (which many people do)
4) Yep you go along to the health centre at some point in your first week and fill out a form.
Thank you!! :smile:

Original post by Cinnie
1) You will be told all about this in your induction - don't worry :smile:
2) You get your bus pass from the information building at the newcastle under lyme bus station - it's just over £300 for the whole year
3) Nearest supermarkets are a short bus ride away - either Sainsburys or Morrisons. Keele is in a bit of a bubble so it's a long walk or bus to get shopping unless you buy from the keele shop (not bad price-wise but not very big), or get shopping delivered every week (which many people do)
4) Yep you go along to the health centre at some point in your first week and fill out a form.
What is the deal with the 2GB internet? I am worried it won't be enough daily... I watch a lot of TV shows!! :tongue:

If you go overboard with the 2GB what happens?
Reply 74
What is the deal with the 2GB internet? I am worried it won't be enough daily... I watch a lot of TV shows!! :tongue:

'To ensure all users receive fair access to Keele's network, each individual is allocated 2GB of eduroam wireless in the Halls of Residence and 1GB of WiFi/PC labs network traffic in a rolling 24-hour period. If this allocation is exceeded your connection is not stopped but will be progressively slowed down allowing your rolling network quota to recover. Access to internal Keele resources (e.g. KLE, eVision, Library Catalogue) are never rate limited so you will always have full speed access to these services.

The Rate Limit number and gauge shows if your connection is currently being slowed to allow your quota to recover. If the needle is in the green zone (number 0) your connection is operating at full speed without restriction. If the needle is in the yellow or red zone (numbers 1 to 8) this indicates your connection speed is currently being restricted and to what extent.

The Quota number and gauge shows how much (in MB) of your rolling 24-hour network traffic allocation is remaining.'
Can anyone tell me anything about Barnes hall, what the rooms look like e.g. pics? Any insight. I am in block T:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Cheers!! :smile:

Original post by Cinnie
'To ensure all users receive fair access to Keele's network, each individual is allocated 2GB of eduroam wireless in the Halls of Residence and 1GB of WiFi/PC labs network traffic in a rolling 24-hour period. If this allocation is exceeded your connection is not stopped but will be progressively slowed down allowing your rolling network quota to recover. Access to internal Keele resources (e.g. KLE, eVision, Library Catalogue) are never rate limited so you will always have full speed access to these services.

The Rate Limit number and gauge shows if your connection is currently being slowed to allow your quota to recover. If the needle is in the green zone (number 0) your connection is operating at full speed without restriction. If the needle is in the yellow or red zone (numbers 1 to 8) this indicates your connection speed is currently being restricted and to what extent.

The Quota number and gauge shows how much (in MB) of your rolling 24-hour network traffic allocation is remaining.'
Reply 77

Probably better off getting an external hard drive and downloading loads of stuff before hand to last you until you go back home haha, everyone I've asked though seems like they haven't had any problems with the quota limit, or maybe you could get on a mobile plan which has unlimited data...

Posted from TSR Mobile
hmmmm thanks.....I can't go to unlimited atm, just renewed my contract! Quite worried about the internet 'rule'.

Original post by AN12
Probably better off getting an external hard drive and downloading loads of stuff before hand to last you until you go back home haha, everyone I've asked though seems like they haven't had any problems with the quota limit, or maybe you could get on a mobile plan which has unlimited data...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
hmmmm thanks.....I can't go to unlimited atm, just renewed my contract! Quite worried about the internet 'rule'.

Ah don't be, they don't cut you off their wifi, it just slows down for it to last the day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest