The Student Room Group

Question to law students

Hi i am just wondering what was everyones academic history before applying for law?
As i myself am now quite worried as i did poor in my gcse's at my old school. I then decided to go to a college right near to my house. I had a "fresh" start and my first year went well. I did okay in my AS levels (ABBB). I was 3 marks of an A in sociology. So i will hopefully have A2 predictions of AAB. I was looking at applying at the following :

Qmul (AAB)
Kent (ABB)
City (ABB)
Leicester (AAB)
Kings(AAB)
Liverpool (AAB)

I have a wide range of unis. The thing that worries me is my gcse's results, as they were a disgrace to be fair. ( 1 B 5C's and 2D's):frown: . It pains me just talking about them.
As i went onto QM entry requirements it stated that :
For Law and Economics, grade A in GCSE Mathematics Higher paper
I myself did not even do Higher for maths!
I Just wanted to know if anyone had a similiar problem but still got in for law.
As many people have done brilliantly at all levels of education. As law is such a competitive course. I am thinking is it for me ? Will i even get in to any uni ?

Thanks alot for your help
From a very worried student :confused:
Reply 1
Are you even intending on doing Law and Economics (joint course) at QM? If so it doesn't matter about the Maths higher paper.

Anyway this forum isn't a good representation of students so dont expect the general student population to have A*s and As.
Reply 2
kirstinx
Anyway this forum isn't a good representation of students so dont expect the general student population to have A*s and As.

This is a great point :smile: Always worth bearing in mind if you're feeling a bit low after reading about all the genius people on here lol! :rolleyes: :wink:

To the OP - don't worry, go for it :cool: Your A-Level predictions are great, so do your absolute best on your A-Levels, write a cracking personal statement and hope for the best.

The worst that can happen is you get no offers, have to take a year out, and reapply next year to other universities. This is not the disaster it sounds - happened to a very good friend of mine, and she's just graduated and is really happy with the way things turned out. :smile:

Be positive and aim for the stars!!!! :biggrin: ;happy2;
what kirstin said ^

also can you not resit maths? I think if you get AAB predictions then you have a good chance but like you said law is competitive. Although I've heard before that addmissions tutors view people favourably who show great improvements, as you have done. So If you write yourself a great personal statement and work really hard then you do have a good chance. Although (in my opinion) kings is very hard to get into so you may want to reconsider that option. Also get yourself an very good reference as that may well compensate for your gcses.
Reply 4
kirstinx
Are you even intending on doing Law and Economics (joint course) at QM? If so it doesn't matter about the Maths higher paper.

Thanks alot for words. They have made me feel alot better. Also thanks for pointing that out i thought it was for a joint course but i got so worried i thought it was for law!!!:smile:
Reply 5
guccilittlepiggy
what kirstin said ^

also can you not resit maths? I think if you get AAB predictions then you have a good chance but like you said law is competitive. Although I've heard before that addmissions tutors view people favourably who show great improvements, as you have done. So If you write yourself a great personal statement and work really hard then you do have a good chance. Although (in my opinion) kings is very hard to get into so you may want to reconsider that option. Also get yourself an very good reference as that may well compensate for your gcses.

Thanks for that what other uni could i put in place of kings. That would save me alot of hassle in terms of lnat. Do you think i should mention gcse's on my ps ?
My ps is just a blank page at the moment, i did do about half a page at school but i said i started to gain an interest in law while the country was thinking about going into iraq!? ( When international law , human rights, un where all being mentioned) This promted me to take a further interest in law Blah blah etc
The way I see it - you've demonstrated that you CAN apply yourself, your turnaround says ALMOST as much about the establishments as it does about you.

I'd also advise you to stop worrying about things you cannot change. The GCSE's are history - they're gone, nothing you can do about them.

Life isn't like a book where you can tear pages out, pretend they never happened and start over again. What happened in the past is a part of you and it sounds to me like you're able to justify your poor GCSE results. And like they say about boxers - "you're only as good as your last fight" - it's the A level grades that matter.

Stop wasting energy on stuff you can't alter and concentrate on moving forwards.
Reply 7
Don't worry! Admission tutors aren't heartless people. They understand that people can make mistakes, especially at GCSE. Your AS grades are very good, and I can already see that you have made a considerable difference. Just make sure you have high predictions and go for it!
Fireman John
The way I see it - you've demonstrated that you CAN apply yourself, your turnaround says ALMOST as much about the establishments as it does about you.

I'd also advise you to stop worrying about things you cannot change. The GCSE's are history - they're gone, nothing you can do about them.

Life isn't like a book where you can tear pages out, pretend they never happened and start over again. What happened in the past is a part of you and it sounds to me like you're able to justify your poor GCSE results. And like they say about boxers - "you're only as good as your last fight" - it's the A level grades that matter.

Stop wasting energy on stuff you can't alter and concentrate on moving forwards.

well said
Reply 9
Thanks alot for that. I actually did have the same attitiude about gcse's thinking o well they have gone cant change them. However when i was on this board i was like O no! ! :frown: . Looking at other posts made by people stating gcse's their problems.

However i know that this is not a fair representation of student population
Everyone has made alot of good poitns, I also think that the changes you have made can only show schools that you have really turned yourself around. Congrats and good luck!
Reply 11
If you do fantastic on the LNAT that could compensate for the low GCSEs

Latest

Trending

Trending