The Student Room Group

I am so sad about being in the friend zone

Scroll to see replies

Work on loving yourself. Life didn't happen to you, it happened for you.
Spend time doing the things you genuinely enjoy and try to set yourself constructive goals and work towards those.
Also, take a step back and think about things you may have neglected such as family if that's an option for you.
Finally, try new things and think about meeting new people if you can (the net is a great place if you're shy).
Work on being the most solid version of yourself and who knows, lady luck might be around the corner!
Original post by siamakdie
Better start day gaming and lifting then, srs. All i have done this past summer was lift and day game, planning to stay on regime for life.

does lifting change you mentally?
Original post by Merlot-Onous
Never understood the obsession with lifting....if you are good looking that will not be an issue :wink:

Looking better is only part of it. It's just a fun hobby.

Original post by mustangmix
does lifting change you mentally?

yes it does. Makes your willpower stronger. Lifts your mood (releases endorphins) Just has positive benefits all round.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, would really appreciate some advice on this issue. It's been bugging me and I need to talk about it.

Okay so basically me and this girl (friend at the time) started to get close last year and I really thought things were progressing towards a relationship. Although nothing happened between us except for a kiss at one stage, I started inviting her round to my place and we'd spend lots of time together. I gave her lots of signs that I was into her, flirting-wise etc. and lots of my mates thought we would get together.

Turns out she rejected me a few months later saying she wasn't interested in me like that. I was a bit gutted at the time but accepted her decision. 6 months later I find out she was seeing/sleeping with this other guy on my course the whole time we spent together. I know she was still single at the time and free to do what she wanted, but as one of her friends, I cannot help but feel disappointed she never mentioned seeing another guy. I would never have asked her out in the first place or got so emotionally involved had I known.

Thoughts? I really want to move on and just forget about her but even this is proving hard. Am disillusioned with life atm and feel like I'm not good enough for anyone.

No such thing as the friend zone. She just found the other bloke more attractive. You square hole, she round peg, him round hole. Comprendez?

Go and find a girl who actually finds you attractive. If this is difficult, consider becoming more attractive.
Doing weights might help a bit, if you're skinny and lacking in confidence about your physique. But an unattractive socially inept muscly bloke is still an unattractive socially inept bloke. There are numerous other things you could work on that would be equally beneficial.
Original post by Lucia.
Hey there,

I bet you feel pretty bummed about this - not only because it didn't work out but because she was seeing someone else at the same time. You probably feel quite betrayed and like you've exposed your emotions in a really vulnerable way, only to feel used afterwards. I know how that feels. But I've made that mistake myself so I see her point of view as well (although I'm not saying what she did isn't wrong).

I don't think she necessarily should have mentioned the other guy - after all that is her private life. But she shouldn't have engaged with you in such a way that you thought it was going somewhere romantically significant. Maybe she was too afraid to tell you she wasn't interested. Maybe she regretted the kiss and put it down to a moment of recklessness. Maybe she wasn't sure and the kiss confirmed it. It's hard to tell really. These things happen. It's the reality of dating. It'll hurt now but you'll put it down to experience eventually.

You'll be okay though. Eventually you'll see it all in perspective. Just think it was never going to work anyway. There are better women out there for you - you just need to find them. You showed your vulnerability and ended up getting hurt - and while that'll help with some people, don't let that change you too much. If you're vulnerable with the right person, it builds a good connection.

Try not to engage with her too much. It sounds harsh but I simply can't be friends with someone where either one of us has a romantic interest. It just becomes too painful. Obviously you can stay civil and say hello in passing and that sort of thing.

Past few months I tried cutting down the contact but as we were on the same uni course, it made it impossible and I sort of went through ups and downs having to see her every day. Now uni has finished I'm glad cos I'm not constantly reminded of what happened anymore.

I don't feel so embarrassed about being rejected- that is understandable if she didn't reciprocate, but I feel like she was purposefully being secretive to stop me knowing about this other guy. I only found out they had something going on through another friend, and just now it's become clear it was mainly a 'friends with benefits' arrangement. It was such a shock for me cos I used to try and flirt with her whilst this other guy was around in lectures etc. The whole time they were sleeping together! I even took her out to dinner once and we bumped into him that night. I feel so stupid and can't even talk about this with her....

This has taught me to not get so invested in girls in future. I think it comes across as being too needy but like you say, there are other people out there. It's just a matter of finding them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending