The Student Room Group

16/17 Free london buses

Hey, I had a quick search for anything on this topic, couldn't find anything so I thought I'd start a thread. In case anyone doesn't know, from 1st Sep 16/17 yer olds get free bus travel on london buses, once you get hold of a new photocard etc.
Does anyone know what happens once u hit 18? I mean, loads of people turn 18 whilst still in full-time education ie. during 2nd year of A levels. Do you still get free buses once you're 18? It's a bit harsh if you don't, as all the people with birthdays early in the academic year will be disadvantaged.
Also, aparently schools/colleges have to sign the forms or something, and the forms aren't available till the 1st, so we may have to pay the current rate for the first week or so of term. I don't see why they couldn't have got the forms out earlier so we could have it all sorted before term starts?

Scroll to see replies

they did something similar in machester for OAPs (who previously only paid 40p!!) and that meant that everyone else had to pay higher fares. I guess the same will happen in london? If so thats going to be unfair once you turn 18.

it doesn't say 18 year olds http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-centre/press-releases/press-releases-content.asp?prID=873
Reply 2
But at the bottom of the article you linked to, the following information is given:
TFL
Free bus and tram travel will be available to:

* Sixteen and 17-year-olds who permanently reside within a London borough and are in full-time education or unwaged training (see definition below)
* Eighteen-year-olds who permanently reside within a London Borough, apply before the end of the academic year in which they turn 18 and who are in full-time education or unwaged training (see definition below)
* Full-time education will be defined as 12 hours of guided learning per week for a minimum of 10 weeks, on further education courses in school sixth forms, sixth form colleges and Further Education colleges or as Learning and Skills Council (LSC) arranged Entry to Employment (E2E) or Programme Led Pathways (PLP) work based learning
* Students aged 18 or over can apply or a student Oyster photocard and get 30 per cent off Travelcard and Bus Pass season tickets. See www.tfl.gov.uk/fares for full details

Don't the bold bits contradict each other, or am I just being incredibly dense?
no they don't. whens your birthday?
Reply 4
That sounds like good news - wish we 16/17 year olds got free tube travel too - I'm one of those bus haters and the tube is almost like a lifeline. When you say that 16/17 year olds need to get hold of a new photocard; why can't we just use the photocards that we've already got?
london travel is cheap anyway, be happy you don't have to pay 9 quid a week.
The 'students' bit at the end probably refers to University student, and if interpreted that way then there's no contradiction.
i took the first one to mean those in college/ 6th form who would be entitled to the free pass the same way 16/17 year olds were.

Then the second one to mean students in uni etc who held a student pass but not a free pass.
this is annoying every year i get another year older and they make the age i was the year BEFORE free and yet i still have to pay :angry: if that makes any sense lol
Reply 9
Haha yeh it does, i was annoyed when they made it free for under 16's last year, so my year just missed the cut. I was mostly annoyed at the fact that they planned to make it free for 16 & 17 yr olds this year, why did they make us pay for an extra year? They should have just introduced free buses for all full-time education students at the same time.
Someone explain something to me:
I have a pay as you go oyster.
I'm 16.
It charges me adult rate because when i registered it never asked my DOB.
Is this right?
guccilittlepiggy
london travel is cheap anyway, be happy you don't have to pay 9 quid a week.

I pay £9.50 a week
well now you can apply for the free card ^^
Reply 13
Reply 14
I'm 16 yet my child oyster card doesn't expire till the end of September :biggrin:

However I'll probably just use my 16-17 oyster cared when it arrives. If my child one doesn't get 'blocked', I'll use that on the tube until the end of Sept to claim child fares :smile:
guccilittlepiggy
well now you can apply for the free card ^^

So i get one of these cards aswell as my prepay? USe the prepay for trains and the other one for the free buses?
I think I'm going to have to swot up on my bus routes!
Reply 16
FireDeuce
I pay £9.50 a week

Well I'll beat you all, I had to pay £16.50 per week to get to college, when I had one.
yeah but you get it free now :wink:
if your 17 on sept 1st and in full time education u get the free travel until sept 2007 even if you turn 18 in the year. so im 18 in november but will still get free bus until september by which time i'll be in uni! :smile:
Reply 19
cheers!
its a bundle of information :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending