The Student Room Group

I failed my first year at uni now want to reapply for this year

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice?

I failed my first year at university, because I had a lot of personal issues and basically didn't attend and I had to withdraw my place there.

I'm now reapplying for either 2014 start, via clearing or to start in 2015.
Obviously I need to re-do my personal statement, but do I need to re-do the whole statement to avoid plagiarism? Should I include that I had already been to university but had to leave?

Any information or advice will greatly be appreciated!

Thanks!

:smile:
I'm in a really similar situation to you except I did retakes after failing my first year, passed them then went on to fail my second year too and have decided to withdraw instead of doing retakes again.

I'm certain you can't plagiarise yourself, and also unis you apply to won't be able to see your previous UCAS application. They definitely won't remember your statement so if you have to then you can use the same one, but I wouldn't advise it. You'll want to tell them your intentions for the next year (if applying for 2015 entry).

The year you have spent at university is really important to mention too. If you were to lie and pretend you didn't go then it might look a bit strange to have spent a year doing nothing. Also if you had valid reasons for not performing well, it shouldn't be a problem. Tell them what you've learnt from your time at university and how you've matured since you started etc. and why you think you would be more successful this time around.

Good luck!
Your ps will be flagged up as plagiarism by Ucas software, but luckily there is a common sense override which will link your new application to your last one, and it won't matter. What does matter much more is not updating your ps to reflect the person you now are. You aren't the same person who wrote the original ps. You know much more now about what university study entails, so you will make a better job of it, therefore start afresh. You will need to declare your year at university but it won't be a problem. Admissions tutors know people make mistakes. In any case, you will need a reference from your current tutors. You shouldn't mention any of your problems in the ps. All that is for an independent person to testify to in the reference. Write your new ps as a positive statement about your interest in and suitability for the course.
Reply 3
Thanks guys, you've been really helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending