The Student Room Group

I just got back from travelling, ask me anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tillytots
I'd love to go to Iceland! Desperate to see the northern lights but because of uni I can never travel in the winter :frown:

Probably Budapest and Copenhagen, but everywhere was great!

I'm planning to sacrifice the few days between the end of winter holidays and the start of uni again for it :P Be well worth it!

Sounds like you had a lot of fun then! :biggrin:
Reply 41
Original post by spanker
1. How long did you go for?
2. How much was the overall cost, including food/accommodation?
3. What was the most expensive place to visit?
4. What countries did you visit?
5. How long did you spend in each country?
6. What did you do in those countries?
7. If you done it again what would you do different?
8. Any tips on saving money?
9. How long does it take to plan a trip like this?
10. Did you enjoy my little quiz? :beard:

1.Just over a month
2. £1100 for food,accommodation,day trips,museum entry and a few ferry journeys and train reservations etc. Then £367 for the interrail pass and another £110 for flights.
3.Milan and Vienna
4.Denmark,Germany,Italy,Austria,Czech Rep,Poland,Hungary,Croatia,Slovenia
5. Except Germany where I spent 6 days and Italy for a week in total (but it was in two trips) usually around 3.
6.I was on a budget so I mainly just explored on foot, visited historical and famous tourist sites, usually tried some of the local street food and occasionally did day trips, for example I went to thermal spas in Hungary and a national Park in Croatia. Visited a few museums aswell. Oh and went out and partied quite a bit!
7. Go for longer, maybe not buy the interrail pass for the whole month because even though it gives good flexibility train fares and bus fares in much of central/eastern europe are really cheap.
8.Don't eat out (most places I went had good street food stalls and cheap supermarkets), drink what the locals drink (i.e beer in germany/Prague and wine in italy, no spirits execpt in Poland!) flaunt your student status where possible it gets lots of discounts!
9. I knew I wanted to do it for a bout three months but I didn't really plan, just made a list of places I'd like to go and booked the flights so maybe around an hour?
10. Yes it was great! <3
Reply 42
Everywhere? Haha, I want to explore Asia next summer hopefully. Not too keen on Thailand but Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos and Indonesia. Also India and after meeting so many lovely Aussies on my trip I'd love to go to Australia Oh and I'd like to see more of Eastern Europe like Serbia, Albania, Romania... I just want to go everywhere :P

Cool similar to me then, I was lucky enough to go to Australia as a kid but really I'd have to go back once again as its soo flippin big and there's so much to see and do :wink: I'm probably going to leave Europe for last.

P.S I see in your sig you mention the Erasmus program what was that like, was it something you thought of before or just an opportunity that came along ?

Did you get to pick from many places or was it France was available if you wanted it, did you have to learn the language; and what was it like studying abroad ?

phew... that'll do for now :colondollar:

EDIT: The uni I start at in sept has the study abroad options to, which is why I was asking :>
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Shodann
Cool similar to me then, I was lucky enough to go to Australia as a kid but really I'd have to go back once again as its soo flippin big and there's so much to see and do :wink: I'm probably going to leave Europe for last.

P.S I see in your sig you mention the Erasmus program what was that like, was it something you thought of before or just an opportunity that came along ?

Did you get to pick from many places or was it France was available if you wanted it, did you have to learn the language; and what was it like studying abroad ?

phew... that'll do for now :colondollar:

I study French at uni so it was a compulsory part of my course. I had a list of places to go in France and a few other french speaking places and Paris was just the one I fancied the most! Studying abroad is insane, I would do it again even if I didn't have to do it as part of my degree. For me it didn't count towards my final grade so I could kinda chill out a bit and I had a great time, best year of uni by far!
Did you fall in love?
Reply 45
Original post by Arketec
Did you fall in love?

No. I was hoping for a romance but unfortunately it did not happen! :frown:
No. I was hoping for a romance but unfortunately it did not happen! :frown:

Never mind.
Reply 47
What language do you think in?
Reply 48
Original post by godd
What language do you think in?

English... Although on my year abroad If I had been speaking french for a lengthy period of time I'd think briefly in it too... Strange
Reply 49
Pretty much all by train, with a few coaches in Croatia. The only planning I did was buy my ticket, have a rough idea of where I wanted to go and book the first two hostels before I left. My route changed several times. It's surprisingly easy though just to 'wing it.'

I'm assuming you bought your InterRail pass from the website, which pass did you go for and why? On the first page of this map, does it show every train service you can use and what does the dashed orange line between England and France mean?: http://www.interrail.eu/sites/interrail.eu/files/documents/interrail_railway_map_2014.pdf
With hostels did you just go to the nearest one, how did you know where they were located? And how did you know what sites each place had and how to get to them? Sorry for the many questions, I'm just really interested and would love to go some day. :biggrin: Thanks!
Reply 50
Original post by kcorbins
I'm assuming you bought your InterRail pass from the website, which pass did you go for and why? On the first page of this map, does it show every train service you can use and what does the dashed orange line between England and France mean?: http://www.interrail.eu/sites/interrail.eu/files/documents/interrail_railway_map_2014.pdf
With hostels did you just go to the nearest one, how did you know where they were located? And how did you know what sites each place had and how to get to them? Sorry for the many questions, I'm just really interested and would love to go some day. :biggrin: Thanks!

I bought the one month continuous pass (although I got mine through raildude because it was £2 cheaper..) because I wanted to go for quite a long time, although I'd say if I could do it again I'd just get a three week one and buy my own train and bus fares around Eastern/Central Europe because they're pretty cheap, but it's worth it for scandinavia/germany/france/italy. According to the key it means reduced train fare so I'm guessing it's the eurostar (which isn't included in the pass but you can get a discount on.) I assume that's most train services, but there are an infinite number of combinations, because of changes etc.

Hostels I usually booked the day before and tend to go for ones close to the train station so I didn't have to carry my luggage or just generally ones with good reviews. I put my hostelbookers app to show highest rated first and then usually just went for the cheapest amongst the best rated. Because I was a solo traveller I wanted to check the hostels were suitable for people alone and it wasn't full of groups... Usually on hostelbookers they provide directions from local train stations and airports.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 51
I bought the one month continuous pass (although I got mine through raildude because it was £2 cheaper..) because I wanted to go for quite a long time, although I'd say if I could do it again I'd just get a three week one and buy my own train and bus fares around Eastern/Central Europe because they're pretty cheap, but it's worth it for scandinavia/germany/france/italy. According to the key it means reduced train fare so I'm guessing it's the eurostar (which isn't included in the pass but you can get a discount on.) I assume that's most train services, but there are an infinite number of combinations, because of changes etc.

Hostels I usually booked the day before and tend to go for ones close to the train station so I didn't have to carry my luggage or just generally ones with good reviews. I put my hostelbookers app to show highest rated first and then usually just went for the cheapest amongst the best rated. Because I was a solo traveller I wanted to check the hostels were suitable for people alone and it wasn't full of groups... Usually on hostelbookers they provide directions from local train stations and airports.

You forgot to answer the last question: How did you know what sites each place had and how to get to them? Also, which flights did you get (I'm assuming one of them was to leave the UK)? And how did you change currency into the local one? Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 52
Original post by kcorbins
You forgot to answer the last question: How did you know what sites each place had and how to get to them? Also, which flights did you get (I'm assuming one of them was to leave the UK)? And how did you change currency into the local one? Thanks! :biggrin:

Sites as in tourist attractions/monuments etc? I mainly just googled, wikipedia and tripadvisor are good sources and 'top 10 things to do in...x' I got easyjet flights Gatwick to Copenhagen and then Milan to Gatwick back with Easyjet. I literally just got the cheapest ones I could find from the destinations I wanted to go (look under the 'europe' option on skyscanner.) I just withdrew cash fro the cashpoint! Get a currency card as they give the best withdrawl rates :smile:
Reply 53
Sites as in tourist attractions/monuments etc? I mainly just googled, wikipedia and tripadvisor are good sources and 'top 10 things to do in...x' I got easyjet flights Gatwick to Copenhagen and then Milan to Gatwick back with Easyjet. I literally just got the cheapest ones I could find from the destinations I wanted to go (look under the 'europe' option on skyscanner.) I just withdrew cash fro the cashpoint! Get a currency card as they give the best withdrawl rates :smile:

:biggrin:Thanks so much!!! You've really helped!!!:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest