The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

QMUL School of Economics and Finance

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1Dom
Hi Guys i'll be applying for this course in 2015 and was wondering what kinds of offers and grades you got? Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got A*AC my course asked me to get AAB (GL11) I essentially got the same grades but yeah they don't really lower their offers from the typical offers shown on their website but they may except 1 lower grade than what they wanted so you may be able to get in with ABB if they were asking fir AAB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 41
Original post by Kamakazi619
I got A*AC my course asked me to get AAB (GL11) I essentially got the same grades but yeah they don't really lower their offers from the typical offers shown on their website but they may except 1 lower grade than what they wanted so you may be able to get in with ABB if they were asking fir AAB

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks mate, this is to you and everyone I got ABBB in Pe Econ Maths and Geography whats the likelihood of me getting in/an offer for Economics or Economics and Finance
Reply 42
Original post by 1Dom
Okay thanks mate, this is to you and everyone I got ABBB in Pe Econ Maths and Geography whats the likelihood of me getting in/an offer for Economics or Economics and Finance

Fairly good chance of getting an offer, if you're predicted grades are their offer grades. Though QMUL are not too lenient on postgrad offers, they want a 2:1 or its a no. You could get one grade below what they asked and potentially might get in depending on how busy clearing is for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Super helpful thanks! Do you think dropping Economics would hinder me? I know that Economics at degree level is highly mathematical and I want two traditional subjects in Maths and Geography. My predicted grades would be something like A* in PE A in Geography B in Maths which is equivalent to AAA
Reply 44
Original post by 1Dom
Super helpful thanks! Do you think dropping Economics would hinder me? I know that Economics at degree level is highly mathematical and I want two traditional subjects in Maths and Geography. My predicted grades would be something like A* in PE A in Geography B in Maths which is equivalent to AAA

Economics is just as traditional as geography, if not more. If you want to do a economics and finance related undergraduate, you really should be doing economics. Though the maths is probably more important than economics as a requirement.

I mean you could justify not taking economics, but it really means you have the ace your maths A Level. In first year they teach you all of A Level economics in a few months, so that's not the issue. I think the main thing is you need to justify why you didn't do economics at A Level and that you still have the passion for the subject.

Passion is important though, you need to sell yourself to the admissions tutor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
My situation is that both my teachers for Econ last year have left and I have two new teachers plus I have a higher B in Geography so feel I can push that up to an A. Justifying dropping Economics I will say that Maths is required and Economics is not. Plus I am thinking about doing a Real Estate masters and Geography is very useful. Economics and Geography work well together and I wish I could keep both but I cant drop maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by 1Dom
My situation is that both my teachers for Econ last year have left and I have two new teachers plus I have a higher B in Geography so feel I can push that up to an A. Justifying dropping Economics I will say that Maths is required and Economics is not. Plus I am thinking about doing a Real Estate masters and Geography is very useful. Economics and Geography work well together and I wish I could keep both but I cant drop maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can drop the economics, but you may have to justify in interview why you dropped it. Doing an economics degree is very much heavy in economics. Economics does need maths but this is more evident in graduate level economics. Like for example, my masters was half composed of econometrics. Those modules were very heavy in maths, you needed matrix algebra and knowledge of statistical distributions.

As an A Level, geography is weaker than economics. And trying to justify economics from geography is going to be hard. I personally love geography as a subject, but choosing it over A2 economics won't help with the Queen Mary application.

I feel you are in a situation where you want to carry on with your higher grades, which is fair enough. But evidently you need to justify to the admissions tutor why you dropped economics, the subject in which you wish to major at in university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
So in others words im screwed lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Original post by 1Dom
So in others words im screwed lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not screwed, you'll need to talk your way out of your situation in your personal statement. I know economics is not required, like maths is, but it helps to show interest in the subject you want to study.

It would have made more sense not to do AS economics and then say you didn't feel it was needed for the degree, as you could catch up in term 1. Now you have a half baked pie and are proceeding to put it under the rug.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Thanks you've been a great help and Im gonna start writing my PS soon so i'll see what kinda of bull**** I can pull haha
Reply 50
Original post by 1Dom
Thanks you've been a great help and Im gonna start writing my PS soon so i'll see what kinda of bull**** I can pull haha

This should help...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT39ikuHvFc

This guy still works at QMUL, so he might still be one of the admissions tutors, but I'm not sure.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 51
I would say there are only 2 main requirements for admission to QMUL for economics/finance related courses...

1) A Level Mathematics
2) Show a true passion for economics
Reply 52
Original post by melania11
Hi! I'm at L100, too.

I'll be on the lookout for Melanies, then. :biggrin:

Anybody here got a place in Varey House?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by godd
I would say there are only 2 main requirements for admission to QMUL for economics/finance related courses...

1) A Level Mathematics
2) Show a true passion for economics

You are an absolute star!!
Reply 54
I'm starting economics in september :smile:
Reply 55
Greeat! Nice to meet you, I'm Melanie:smile:

Original post by Irafflez
I'm starting economics in september :smile:
Are any of you guys here yet ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I offer help with Economics, Finance and Econometrics. Experience of working with students from Cass, UCL, Imperial, LSE and Queen Mary. High marks guaranteed.

I deliver high quality:

- face-to-face tuition at your location with comprehensive study material (Skype classes also available)

- intensive classes for exam preparation

- quantitative assignments in Economics and Finance

1. Topics covered in Econometrics

- Univariate & Multivariate Regression (OLS, Hypothesis testing)

- Violations of the CLRM assumptions (Heteroskedasticity, Autocorrelation, Multicollinearity)

- Time Series Models (MA, AR, ARMA)

- Non stationarity & Forecasting (ADF Test)

- Panel Data Models

- Simultaneous Equation Models

2. Topics Covered in Finance & Investment

- Investment Appraisal Methods (NPV, IRR, Payback Period)

- CAPM, APT

- Portfolio theory (Risk-Return of a portfolio, min variance portfolio, portfolio optimization)

- Valuation (DFC Method, WACC)

Qualifications:

- MSc Banking & Finance, QMUL (2011-12) Distinction

- BSc Economics, University of Athens, Greece

Fees: £40/h for individuals (adjusted prices for groups)

Please contact me for further details stating your:
-Level of study
-Course curriculum (if available)
-Location & availability to start

George 074 26975395

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending