The Student Room Group

Donating blood for the first time next month

Hi guys so I'm donating blood for the first time next month and I seem eligible so I can't see any problems with me giving blood :smile:

I was just wondering what to expect and wanted to hear any of your experiences of giving blood etc. Any stories, tips, advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reply 2
I've been pretty much as often as possible since I turned 17 (18 now). Not had any issues except once where my vein was a bit skinny so I couldn't give and ended up with a big bruise from trying! What would you like to know?
Hiya :smile: I've done about 5 donations now, and it's been fine. The process can take quite a long time as they ask you lots of questions and take a small finger prick blood sample to check for iron before they let you donate. Then you just lie back in the chair and they set you on your way! It doesn't take too long to donate, especially if you're well hydrated and pump it out a bit by squeezing your fist! Then when you're done you get to chill and have a hot drink/ squash and some biscuits or crisps.

My main advice would be for you to drink lots of water the day before you donate, as well as on your donation day. This'll make your veins nice and juicy so they don't have to go poking around too much! Also make sure you're well fed by the time you donate :smile:

Sorry this is a bit of a ramble! Good luck :smile: x
Reply 4
Thanks to my mum's genes, I have quite pale skin, bordering on anaemia, so the first time I went to give blood, I was turned away as my haemoglobin levels were too low. I made some small changes in my diet, mainly putting a stop to the tea drinking in and around meals, went back a few months later and was able to give blood no worries. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Hi everyone thanks for your replies :smile:

I have a few questions, feel free to answer or add any more info to donating blood in general :smile:

1. How long does it roughly take for them to test your blood to see if its suitable for donation?
2. How long does it roughly take for them to collect the amount of blood required for donation?
3. If you eat and drink a good amount before it, will you still feel a bit shaky or dizzy afterwards? The shakiness and dizziness is kinda what creeps me out!
To test its suitable for donation is literally 30 seconds...they do a finger prick test and then put a drop of blood into a tube and if you have adequate iron in your blood, the drop should fall to the bottom of the tube in a few seconds. At that stage they also ask you a few questions about going abroad, pregnancy, etc etc..takes about 5 mins in total.

The donation itself probably takes around 10 minutes? I'm never quite sure haha but it doesn't drag too much!

The staff at the centre I go to (Birmingham) are really friendly and make sure you're feeling fine. If you've eaten and drunk enough beforehand you should be fine. They will sit you up nice and slowly and make sure you're okay to stand up. You can then go over and sit down and have some snacks/drinks and stay there until you feel fine to go :smile:

They also give you advice to not do any heavy exercise or lifting that evening, and I think heavy drinking is a bit of a no no too! Xxx
Make sure you eat well before and get loads of iron (apparently loads of slim or young women aren't eligible because their iron levels are too low on the day). To be sure I'd start taking an iron supplement now too. The process itself is fine, doesn't take too long (depends how busy it is! But if you have an appointment it won't be too bad). If you have one arm with more visible veins than the other let them know because when I went the blood had to be taken from the side the machine happened to be set up on, and I ended up having to move beds.

Don't worry too much about dizziness afterwards, they don't let you get up for about 10 minutes and even then you chill out with a biscuit and cup of tea. I just felt a bit lightheaded, same as if I was hungry or tired. I was fine after an hour.

Bear in mind if you do a lot of sport that the decrease in red blood cells can affect your performance for a few weeks, but this isn't really anything most people have to worry about!
Reply 8
Thanks guys for the tips and advice! I go on 29th Sept so still got a wee while to wait but I'm looking forward to it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Err I'm 16 so I don't think I can donate blood yet but I'd like to consider it in the future but in the past I've been a bit nervous about injections (this has improved a lot recently). I was wondering, does it feel like having a 10 minute long blood test (when a syringe is used)?
Nope it only hurts a teeny bit when they put the needle in, after that you can't really feel anything x
Something you should definitely do and what they tell you to do (but what some people seem to do unenthusiastically) is the little exercises they tell you about. You should be continuously paddling your feet, tensing your bum/thighs and squeezing your fist (the arm you are giving from). This keeps to blood pressure high and makes you feel less lightheaded. It also helps in the twenty-or-so minutes after when you're finding your feet again.
Reply 12
Thanks again everyone for your advice and tips :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I always make sure to eat a good breakfast on the day and make sure to drink some water.
They will give you a cup of water to drink just prior to donation

The process is very relaxed.
I usually play a game on my mobile phone during the session to pass the time.

Plus you get a cup of tea and a biscuit as a reward. :smile:
Reply 14
Oh playing a game on my phone is a good idea while I'm getting it done! My mum was going to come with me. Are clinics usually ok with you bringing someone with you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Yasmin25
Oh playing a game on my phone is a good idea while I'm getting it done! My mum was going to come with me. Are clinics usually ok with you bringing someone with you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on how cramped it is I think; I don't think they mind if it's in a hall or something but if it's in a bloodmobile she may have to wait in the rest area :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
You just compelled me to sign up, first donation on 11th of Nov. Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 17
Hi everyone thanks for your replies :smile:

I have a few questions, feel free to answer or add any more info to donating blood in general :smile:

1. How long does it roughly take for them to test your blood to see if its suitable for donation?
2. How long does it roughly take for them to collect the amount of blood required for donation?
3. If you eat and drink a good amount before it, will you still feel a bit shaky or dizzy afterwards? The shakiness and dizziness is kinda what creeps me out!

1. About a minute. They prick your finger, squeeze it to get a good-sized drop of blood, then suck it up into a small tube, and they drop it into a solution.

2. For me, about 7 or 8 minutes, but it varies between people. It would be useful to bring something to squeeze (like a stress ball) as you have to open and close your fist throughout, and something to squeeze would help with this.

3. I didn't feel any dizziness whatsoever, but again, it varies between people. I ate a lunch very high in iron about an hour and a half before my donation. Foods high in iron can be found on this link: http://m.redcrossblood.org/learn-about-blood/health-and-wellness/iron-rich-foods. Also, make sure you do the exercises they tell you to do during your donation, which will reduce dizziness and fainting.

I got my donor card in the post this week, and you also get a keyring with your blood group on it, which is a good incentive to donate. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by 08jogon
You just compelled me to sign up, first donation on 11th of Nov. Thanks :biggrin:

Good on you for signing up! :biggrin: I go on the 29th Sept so I'll make sure to update this thread with my own personal experience for ya too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Good on you for signing up! :biggrin: I go on the 29th Sept so I'll make sure to update this thread with my own personal experience for ya too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I'm quite worried now because it was a bit impulse :s-smilie: But it feels nice to know that we're helping people

Quick Reply

Latest