The Student Room Group

RAF Officer application and A levels

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
true. but I'm going mad with the lack of progress. at least I can be closer and in the right place.
I'm still considering my options
I'm on IOT right now and from a course of 91, 50% are ex-rankers. I appreciate this isn't the norm but the course behind us are also very ex-ranker heavy. We have them across all branches, 4 of the 7 going Logs are ex-rankers, ALL from non-Logs trades. We've got quite a few Pers, Regt, pilot ex-rankers, med spt, int, it's very spread across the branches. If you want to be in the RAF, try joining the ranks and a commission later. If you don't get it, keep trying or carry on working up. If you decide it's not for you, you can always leave.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by teasin_tina
I'm on IOT right now and from a course of 91, 50% are ex-rankers. I appreciate this isn't the norm but the course behind us are also very ex-ranker heavy. We have them across all branches, 4 of the 7 going Logs are ex-rankers, ALL from non-Logs trades. We've got quite a few Pers, Regt, pilot ex-rankers, med spt, int, it's very spread across the branches. If you want to be in the RAF, try joining the ranks and a commission later. If you don't get it, keep trying or carry on working up. If you decide it's not for you, you can always leave.

Yeah, but it's a bit of a false positive, that. The next IOT course to start will be about 90% recent uni grads. You can't take the individual courses as a reference for the whole system.

Also worth remembering that it's only recently that the recruitment system has caught up with itself and it takes a while for them to feed people through.
Original post by Drewski
Yeah, but it's a bit of a false positive, that. The next IOT course to start will be about 90% recent uni grads. You can't take the individual courses as a reference for the whole system.

Also worth remembering that it's only recently that the recruitment system has caught up with itself and it takes a while for them to feed people through.

I'm just sharing the current reality and showing it is possible. It's logical the next one will be graduate heavy due to the time of the year, doesn't change the fact there's a surge and the percentage of ex rankers commissioning has increased rapidly. It's also worth the OP baring in mind there are always ex-rankers commissioning, just in peaks and troughs, you might not be good enough now but with a few years experience, you might shine or one day just have that eureka moment.

It took me two attempts to get in, I started a third application then got a recall and my performance on IOT is currently quite high. We all have hills to climb, some higher than others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by teasin_tina
I'm just sharing the current reality and showing it is possible.

Possible is only half of it. Yes it can be done, but OP - and everybody else thinking about it - should be under no illusions that it is not certain, it is not guaranteed and it is a lot harder.

I also know that when I went through, again in a time of surge recruiting, that of the 9 people going through in my branch, only 1 was an ex-ranker and he'd been in nearly 10 years.

A guy on my IOT was told that he should maybe consider it as an option as IOT wasn't working out for him at the time, he was told to think of it as a 5 year plan. It would take that long in service as a tradesman to gain the experience and reviews from your bosses to be put forward for it.

If people want to consider it, then they should consider it. But they should consider it with all the facts.
Three and four years ago there were no ex-rankers being recruited for Logistics. Before that there were only one or two places. Two years ago there were no Logistics Officers at all being recruited for about 12 months.
Recruiting goes up, recruiting goes down. Joining the ranks as a way to a commission will remain something that is not advised.
I'm aware of all of the above... However nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
thank you for all the input guys.
I'm still looking at the options, and considering which way to go.
how are airmen treated by uniformed staff really?
if it's anything like my voluntary with the ATC, it's fine so long as you do what you're told.. but you are told what to do a lot more rather than have any responsibility higher up
Desp...
As you can see from the recent posts on here everyone has an opinion. I would just say you should go for it but I would also add that when I went to OASC you were only allowed to apply twice. This has obviously changed now but if the RAF has rejected you 4 times then you may have accept that for whatever reason they don't want you and you should move on.
Tina if your Flt Cdr is the ex Chinook pilot recently MiD I'll pm you some stories!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
I haven't actually been rejected 4 times. just once.
the 1st time I went away to get more "experience" at things
2nd time I failed aptitude test by 1% (even though I passed every section, just not their overall grade)
3rd time I was sent away when they finally decided to read the grades on my application and tell me "they're no good actually"
and this is where I am now. trying to get those grades

I'm still weighing it up in my mind. I'm thinking I'll spend a month studying my A Levels again and see how I feel after that month.
If I had my C's I'd definitely apply for OASC
Original post by MatureDude

Tina if your Flt Cdr is the ex Chinook pilot recently MiD I'll pm you some stories!
Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the aircrew Flt Cdr is with the term ones, I could be wrong.. but they're not mine..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Desp. you obviously have an itch so get in whatever it takes and scratch it.

Tina he's a top bloke enjoy the rest of IOT if that's possible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ryan9900
I've spoken to numerous people recently who are applying for a commission internally. It's possible.

How do they appy
Reply 33
Original post by Laiwara12
How do they appy

Good luck.
Reply 34
Original post by desperial
thanks she-wolf, that's actually good to know. edit: and ryan, cheers

do you know if it's possible to move around trades?
it was ABM I was most enticed by, but it's fundamentally similar to ATC.
There is only commissioned roles for ABM as far as I could tell, so if I were to enter without commission, I'd imagine that ATC would be my best avenue. Or do they keep people in the trades they joined up with?

Just to help align expectations, ABM is probably one of the toughest branches to get in. Personnel that do, are normally exceptionally intelligent (often to the detriment of their social skills), that is not to say that you are not able to achieve your goal, but maybe consider joining as an OR, setting smaller goals and get some experience under your belt, to help make the right decision and get on the right path.
Original post by IOTguru
Just to help align expectations, ABM is probably one of the toughest branches to get in. Personnel that do, are normally exceptionally intelligent (often to the detriment of their social skills), that is not to say that you are not able to achieve your goal, but maybe consider joining as an OR, setting smaller goals and get some experience under your belt, to help make the right decision and get on the right path.

It's a 3 year old thread...

Quick Reply

Latest