The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering 2015 entry applicant

Hey guys, I'm looking forward to meeting several other chemical engineering applicants, applying for 2015 entry. I have a lot of questions and I am sure some of you do aswell so I thought we should create a thread to discuss the UCAS application etc for all 2015 applicants.

I would like to apply to

. Imperial
. UCL
. Manchester Uni
. Leeds Uni

Need a not so good uni to add to the list but I can seriously not see myself going to a non-redbrick uni. Any redbrick unis take ABB/AAB for chemeng?

Also please post the unis you're thinking of applying to aswell as your gcse & AS Level grades

GCSE - 1A*5As4Bs2Cs
BTEC - 2 Distinction 1 Merit

AS-Level - ABBBBC in Maths Chemistry Physics Biology Gen Studies & FMaths
Predicted grades: - A*AA Maths Bio Chem

Are any of these unis a no no for me with my current academic profile?

Last year chemical engineering thread
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
imperial may reject you
Reply 2
IGCSE - A*A*A*AABC
AS- AAAAE
A2 - A* achieved. Predicted A*A*A.

Do I stand a chance at Oxford or Imperial with E in English Literature?
I am an international student as well.
Yay! another chemical engineer applicant!

GCSE: 4 A*, 3 A, 4B
AS level: AAAAB, Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics and General Studies respectively.
Haven't found out my predicted grades yet, meh.

Going for: Imperial, Bath, Manchester, Leads and Oxbridge (Dunno whether Oxford or Cambridge, not so hopeful but cant get in without trying)
Reply 4
Original post by League_Masters
Yay! another chemical engineer applicant!

GCSE: 4 A*, 3 A, 4B
AS level: AAAAB, Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics and General Studies respectively.
Haven't found out my predicted grades yet, meh.

Going for: Imperial, Bath, Manchester, Leads and Oxbridge (Dunno whether Oxford or Cambridge, not so hopeful but cant get in without trying)

Apply to Oxford with me :smile:
Original post by peterith
Apply to Oxford with me :smile:

lol im definitely thinking about it, have you started writing your personal statement yet? since oxford's course is general does it matter that the statement will be heavily about chemical engineering?
Reply 6
lol im definitely thinking about it, have you started writing your personal statement yet? since oxford's course is general does it matter that the statement will be heavily about chemical engineering?

I've already done 90% of my personal statement. That's because I don't want to be writing it near exam period (oct/nov for me). I'm actually applying for biomed engineering and my personal statement is mostly about this specific field. :smile:
I've already done 90% of my personal statement. That's because I don't want to be writing it near exam period (oct/nov for me). I'm actually applying for biomed engineering and my personal statement is mostly about this specific field. :smile:

Ah sweet, biomed is a good field too. I guess most people will be having a specific personal statement unless all their courses are general. I managed to finish my first draft of my personal statement, but there is so much more i want to add, seems like 4000 characters is too little :colondollar:
Reply 8
Ah sweet, biomed is a good field too. I guess most people will be having a specific personal statement unless all their courses are general. I managed to finish my first draft of my personal statement, but there is so much more i want to add, seems like 4000 characters is too little :colondollar:

I only know one friend who is doing biomed like me :frown:
I haven't met anyone on TSR that share the same interest yet :biggrin:

For personal statement, I limited extra-curricular activities to around 600 characters. I think anything beyond that wouldn't look nice for an oxbridge personal statement!
I only know one friend who is doing biomed like me :frown:
I haven't met anyone on TSR that share the same interest yet :biggrin:

For personal statement, I limited extra-curricular activities to around 600 characters. I think anything beyond that wouldn't look nice for an oxbridge personal statement!

that's the same with me :biggrin:, left my extra no academic related activities to one tiny paragraph, and the rest about my interest in specific topics and mainly academic related stuff.
Yeah not many people do pick biomedical engineering, nobody in my year has applied to do it. Then again, only me and another guy are applying for chem eng
that's the same with me :biggrin:, left my extra no academic related activities to one tiny paragraph, and the rest about my interest in specific topics and mainly academic related stuff.
Yeah not many people do pick biomedical engineering, nobody in my year has applied to do it. Then again, only me and another guy are applying for chem eng

One of my friends applied for chem engineering last year and got AAB conditional offer from Cambridge! He got 4A* on result day though.
Thinking of applying to
-Cambridge
-Imperial
-Bath
-Manchester
-Nottingham

Feel like I should most likely have a uni that will give me a lower offer.

GCSEs I got 5A*s and 5As with A in FSMQ, AS AAAAA (Maths, chemistry, physics, further maths and biology. Dropping biology)

I am a bit worried as i've done no work experience, and there is literally no time left to arrange and do one.
I'm hoping to apply to:

- Cambridge
- Imperial
- Newcastle
- Bath
- Manchester

GCSE: A*A*A*A*A*AAAAABBC
AS: AAAAA (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and FM respecitvely)
A2 Predictions: A*A*AA (Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry respectively)

Let's hope for the best :smile:
Original post by jake4198
I'm hoping to apply to:

- Cambridge
- Imperial
- Newcastle
- Bath
- Manchester

GCSE: A*A*A*A*A*AAAAABBC
AS: AAAAA (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and FM respecitvely)
A2 Predictions: A*A*AA (Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry respectively)

Let's hope for the best :smile:

I like how you say "respectively" for AS even though they are all at As.
Reply 14
Hey guys! I'll be starting at Cambridge doing ChemEng via NatSci in October so feel free to ask me any questions about applications etc. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I like how you say "respectively" for AS even though they are all at As.

Haha, I only realised once I posted it :smile:
Original post by Claree
Hey guys! I'll be starting at Cambridge doing ChemEng via NatSci in October so feel free to ask me any questions about applications etc. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, what did you do to prepare for applying to Cambridge? What would you recommend I do to maximise my chances?

Thanks, and best of luck with your degree!
Original post by Claree

Posted from TSR Mobile

In terms of your personal statement, what kind of stuff did you mention. Did you focus much in your chemistry and maths at school or the aspect of engineering? My personal statement seems too sciency...don't know if that's good or not.
Original post by Claree

Posted from TSR Mobile

What was your average UMS? If you took further maths was that included in your average? Also did you just apply for Phys NatSci and you plan to do chem eng from year 2, or did you actually apply for chem eng? I'm not completely sure how it works (sorry for the amount of questions).
Reply 19
Considering applying to chemeng as my 5th choice aswell as I am also applying to medicine

Does anyone know anyone that applied to medicine with chem eng as their 5th choice
If so did they get an offer as I'm very scared I wouldnt.

Latest