The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A patch
I got an A* in Epq too! Forgot about that one! Are you doing three or four at A level. I've kept up the four. Just having to be organised
I have an A* in the EPQ also :smile: 4- with M FM Chem and Physics for a degree like Chemical Engineering where all our relevant it's not really sensible to have dropped any
Reply 181
Original post by arcanum96
I have an A* in the EPQ also :smile: 4- with M FM Chem and Physics for a degree like Chemical Engineering where all our relevant it's not really sensible to have dropped any

That's what I thought! Are you travelling on the day?
Original post by A patch
That's what I thought! Are you travelling on the day?
I'll PM you in a bit, it may be easier than bombarding this thread haha :tongue:
Anyone applied or got an offer from UCL yet? I don't have physics at AS or A2 so I'm applying for biochemical engineering at UCL.
What are the interviews like? Formal or informal. Cos the interviews at Leeds are "get to know you" informal interviews. Group discussions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by faisal99
Anyone applied or got an offer from UCL yet? I don't have physics at AS or A2 so I'm applying for biochemical engineering at UCL.
What are the interviews like? Formal or informal. Cos the interviews at Leeds are "get to know you" informal interviews. Group discussions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've applied to UCL but apart from registering on their portal nothing
Reply 185
I've applied to UCL but apart from registering on their portal nothing

Original post by faisal99

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do UCL assess applicants for chem eng?
I cant find this info anywhere
Original post by Hudl
How do UCL assess applicants for chem eng?
I cant find this info anywhere

A mystery for me too, I think they do it mainly by looking at the suitability of your grades
Reply 187
A mystery for me too, I think they do it mainly by looking at the suitability of your grades

Oh ok, thats why Im scared of applying there because I would be applying there with a medicine personal statement as my fifth choice.
The thing is if Medicine doesnt work out for me this year I will love to go to UCL and wanted to do chemical engineering before medicine anyway
but after research and analysis went with medicine.

What do you think
GCSE: 1A*6As3Bs2Cs 2 Distinctions in Spanish & ICT & 1Pass in Art & Design
AS-Level Grade: ABBBBB in Maths Chem Physics, Bio, FMaths, GenStudies
A2 Prediction: A*AA in Maths Chem Bio

Respectively

They also say on their website something about needing a qualification in another language of at least a grade C or equivalent. Do you think my BTEC wil suffice as I took my GCSE back in the day where The Baccalaureate was just being introduced 2012
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Hudl
Oh ok, thats why Im scared of applying there because I would be applying there with a medicine personal statement as my fifth choice.
The thing is if Medicine doesnt work out for me this year I will love to go to UCL and wanted to do chemical engineering before medicine anyway
but after research and analysis went with medicine.

What do you think
GCSE: 1A*6As3Bs2Cs 2 Distinctions in Spanish & ICT & 1Pass in Art & Design
AS-Level Grade: ABBBBB in Maths Chem Physics, Bio, FMaths, GenStudies
A2 Prediction: A*AA in Maths Chem Bio

Respectively

They also say on their website something about needing a qualification in another language of at least a grade C or equivalent. Do you think my BTEC wil suffice as I took my GCSE back in the day where The Baccalaureate was just being introduced 2012

Since your predicted grades are fine you may stand a chance in getting your Chem Eng offer hopefully. However since it's a medicine personal statement I'm not sure, do you have the option of sending in an additional personal statement to the department?
I'm not sure how UCL will view the BTEC my advice would be to call the admissions team or email them.
Hi guys. I'm currently in year 12 and am doing maths, physics, chemistry and further maths. i really want to do chemical engineering at uni and hoping to join a major oil company like BP or Exxon Mobil later on. I have 3 main unis that i'm confused on and would appreciate any clarification. I was thinking of Cambridge but it tends to be really intense getting in and most probably staying in. Is it really worth it to get a 2:1 from Cambridge or a first from somewhere else. Is it really worth it having all such training but just to compete in the real world. I recently got drawn to ICL as it has state-of-the-art facilities and major links with the industry. It has also risen ranks in the world as it is now joint second with Cambridge, just behind MIT. But i come from a family that's not too rich and i know that my parents wouldn't want to be sending me more money while i study so London is giving me doubts on living conditions and costs. I have recently been attracted to the meng course at manchester which has an industrial experience year all in 4 years. This would link me to industry straight up, give me work experience, allow me to be more independent and earn my while studying. Is there anyone who can relate to how each of these courses and universities' intensities are and how hard it is to complete 1st class degrees here? What would also be the best options if you want to work for such major companies i have stated above?

Posted from TSR Mobile
As a current first year chemical engineering student at University of Birmingham just wanted to say for those who haven't applied yet Birmingham is a an absolutely wonderful campus. The course also contains a good mix of practical and theoretical sections definitely worth applying to.
As you can tell I am a bit biased, any questions ask away. :smile:
Original post by mustafe.mohamed.mm
As a current first year chemical engineering student at University of Birmingham just wanted to say for those who haven't applied yet Birmingham is a an absolutely wonderful campus. The course also contains a good mix of practical and theoretical sections definitely worth applying to.
As you can tell I am a bit biased, any questions ask away. :smile:

Do Asians dominate whites

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 192
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Chemical_Engineering_2015_Applicants

New page to enter info about grades, applications and offers!
Hi, stupid question, but how much chemistry is in the course? I say this because I only have Chemistry AS, but I'm doing Physics full A-level. Would I find it too hard/is it possible to get a place with just no Chemistry?

I got AAAB at AS with the B in Chem and A's in Maths, FM and Physics.
Original post by ubisoft
Hi, stupid question, but how much chemistry is in the course? I say this because I only have Chemistry AS, but I'm doing Physics full A-level. Would I find it too hard/is it possible to get a place with just no Chemistry?

I got AAAB at AS with the B in Chem and A's in Maths, FM and Physics.

Not very much. I would say 80 % or more physics and maths. When you come to reaction engineering, there will of course be a significant amount of physical chemistry.

Currently I'm studying fluid flow and heat transfer and chemistry hasn't cropped up once.
Reply 195
Do leeds care about predicted grades mine are AAA and they want A*AA?
Original post by Lol12
Do leeds care about predicted grades mine are AAA and they want A*AA?

Try emailing/calling admissions maybe to check?
Do Leeds interview?
How was everyone's Imperial interview?
I saw a bunch of Chem. Eng. interviewees outside ACEX LT1 today! How'd they go?

Latest