The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by emparker1
Has anyone applied/got offers to Sheffield? I really loved it but I'm torn between there and bath :smile:

I applied but they only received the application today so I might have a bit longer to wait before heearing a reply. Good luck!
Original post by danieln97
Loughborough, aston, Birmingham, Manchester and Nottingham

AS results and A-Level results take more precedence as far as I'm aware generally for Chemical Engineering and considering you did well at AS and have strong predictions hopefully those will overshadow your GCSEs. Good luck.
who has their Manchester interview today?
Has anyone applied/got offers to Sheffield? I really loved it but I'm torn between there and bath :smile:

Original post by Dusky Mauve
sheffield > bath

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to say Bath>Sheffield, and there's quite a bit of evidence to back me up on this :lol:

I'm personally firming Bath though.
Reply 584
Anyone heard from UCL
Reply 585
Original post by ATA95
Anyone heard from UCL

Really worried.
Original post by Bude8
I'm going to say Bath>Sheffield, and there's quite a bit of evidence to back me up on this :lol:

I'm personally firming Bath though.

What do you mean in terms of evidence? It's such a hard decision to make!! 😓

Also does anyone know if Bath are doing any applicant days? I got my offer in October and still haven't heard anything else from them. I have tired emailing but they didn't reply 😑

3rd best for Chem Eng in UK
100% student satisfaction

Then consider the opportunity to do a placement year at Bath, 5 year course potential etc.

But try and think of pros and cons of both universities - do you want a campus university?

I'm still waiting to hear about an offer holder day but Bath said Jan-April

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I am a first year at ucl right now and I do chemical engineering, ask away
Original post by sammy0201

I hold an offer and am strongly considering UCL but when looking at stats comparing the course to other unis it is significantly lower in aspects such as student satisfaction which concerns me. How's your experience so far?
Reply 591
I am now officially a chemical engineering applicant!
Original post by Hudl
I am now officially a chemical engineering applicant!

Welcome to the crew lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 593
Original post by Bude8

Then consider the opportunity to do a placement year at Bath, 5 year course potential etc.

But try and think of pros and cons of both universities - do you want a campus university?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bath is very good university for Chemical Engineering however I'm pretty sure Bath is not 3rd best in the UK for Chemical Engineering. Where did you hear/read this?

Yes, I received an offer from Sheffield a few weeks ago. They don't do interviews and the campus is really nice!
Reply 595
Original post by sammy0201

Hi, I am basically a medicine applicant. I have put down UCL M.Chem as my 5th choice & have sent separate PS. I have chem/bio/maths AAA. (Physics-A at AS)
What are my chances? Do you know anyone with 5th choice being successful?
Original post by Bude8

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you sure Bath is ranked the 3rd best for Chemical Engineering? Personally I think the year in industry course is less competitive comparing with other institutes (Manchester offers a 4-year in industry course), whereas Bath only offers a 5-year course.
Original post by ATA95
Hi, I am basically a medicine applicant. I have put down UCL M.Chem as my 5th choice & have sent separate PS. I have chem/bio/maths AAA. (Physics-A at AS)
What are my chances? Do you know anyone with 5th choice being successful?

They would probably rather focus on someone that wants to do chem eng, but i dont know, dont quote me. Your grades are fine though
Original post by arcanum96
I hold an offer and am strongly considering UCL but when looking at stats comparing the course to other unis it is significantly lower in aspects such as student satisfaction which concerns me. How's your experience so far?

The lecturers arent the best but it doesn't matter its been ****ing awesome so far
Original post by Kalu.m
Bath is very good university for Chemical Engineering however I'm pretty sure Bath is not 3rd best in the UK for Chemical Engineering. Where did you hear/read this?

Original post by johnny147
Are you sure Bath is ranked the 3rd best for Chemical Engineering? Personally I think the year in industry course is less competitive comparing with other institutes (Manchester offers a 4-year in industry course), whereas Bath only offers a 5-year course.

Rankings obviously don't mean that much as every source has different criteria, but here's the particular source. Someone from Imperial College came to our school and she actually mentioned she was amazed by how far Bath has come.

http://www.bath.ac.uk/chem-eng/ --> "Top 3 in the UK for Chemical Engineering (The Times Good University Guide 2015)"

Presumably, Cambridge and Imperial are first and second respectively. However, I have heard some criticisms from the iChemE about the Cambridge course being too theoretical and not practical enough (medicine at Cambridge too, for example, but that's a different field)
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest