The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lallana 11
Yeah they would nps. You can Definitely retake stuff and re apply next year

Are there any other courses which lead to chemical engineering? I was thinking getting into chemistry BSc and then doing a one yr course in chemical engineering, a masters (MSCi) would that still make me a chemical engineer?
Original post by faisal99
Are there any other courses which lead to chemical engineering? I was thinking getting into chemistry BSc and then doing a one yr course in chemical engineering, a masters (MSCi) would that still make me a chemical engineer?

Check if it is accredited. I think an Meng would be better?
Universities could let you in even if you don't make your offer, but dont always do...

Manchester gave me a crazy offer of at least 75 percent in all 10 of my modules, (I'm an international student and do different exams). I got a 74 in my Further Maths module but way above 75 in everything else and they said that this year they received too many applications to be able to let me in...Luckily I made the grades for my insurance choice

Basically what I'm saying is it would be good to have a back up plan if you think you might not make your offer.... e.g Clearing?

Good luck to all! :smile:
Original post by Joseph.S
Check if it is accredited. I think an Meng would be better?

It would be better but chemistry courses are not accredited by ICHEME. Unis like Manchester and Leeds offer a one yr course. These are accredited. But would that make me a chemical engineer? Because I want to go down the charted route. I don't wanna make a mistake rn in a few days on results day. I don't want it to affect me in the long run.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by faisal99
It would be better but chemistry courses are not accredited by ICHEME. Unis like Manchester and Leeds offer a one yr course. These are accredited. But would that make me a chemical engineer? Because I want to go down the charted route. I don't wanna make a mistake rn in a few days on results day. I don't want it to affect me in the long run.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best to check the website for chartered Engineers and call them. Or call a uni upfront ? Good luck,
I'm going to Birmingham!! Thanks everyone for helping me, I hope you all got the grades you needed!
Original post by bnenenen
I'm going to Birmingham!! Thanks everyone for helping me, I hope you all got the grades you needed!

Nice. I'm going to Leeds
Original post by Ali97
Same!
I'll see you there.
What accommodation have you chosen and when do we receive our accommodation offer?

I guess I'll see you there! I've gotten Henry Price. My offer turned unconditional a while ago that's why I know my accommodation
Where have you applied??
Original post by Ali97
I've applied to Leodis.
What results did you get?

Ah. okay. when do you get your accommodation offer?
I'm an international student so I did differenr exams
Hey Guys, Hope you all got the grades you needed, just done my AS levels and got ABBC in Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Further maths,
What grades did you get at AS and then at A2?
Who gave you offers?
Is it worth me applying to russell group unis?
There aren;t many options for chemical engineering except at top universities, and although I believe I will be able to still get all A*s and As I'm not sure I;ll get offers with those results?
Original post by IvoryToast
Hey Guys, Hope you all got the grades you needed, just done my AS levels and got ABBC in Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Further maths,
Who gave you offers?
There aren;t many options for chemical engineering except at top universities, and although I believe I will be able to still get all A*s and As I'm not sure I;ll get offers with those results?

you should definately apply you will surely get in to a russel group uni... i got AAAA (going to yr13)
Original post by IvoryToast
Who gave you offers?

I got AAAB at AS, and AAB this year, and got in to Birmingham. So you can definitely apply to Russell group universities - but I found A2 a lot harder than AS and I was pretty lucky to get in. It might be a good idea to have a big difference in entry requirements between your first and second choice universities.
Original post by bnenenen
I got AAAB at AS, and AAB this year, and got in to Birmingham. So you can definitely apply to Russell group universities - but I found A2 a lot harder than AS and I was pretty lucky to get in. It might be a good idea to have a big difference in entry requirements between your first and second choice universities.

Ive just had my AS results and got AAAB. The B was in maths however which i thought was my best subject, and obviously the most important for engineering aswell. I only flunked the one exam so i know if i resit it and get an A i will get an A overall but would a B in AS maths put me at a disadvantage applying to the top universities?
Original post by lydiar98
Ive just had my AS results and got AAAB. The B was in maths however which i thought was my best subject, and obviously the most important for engineering aswell. I only flunked the one exam so i know if i resit it and get an A i will get an A overall but would a B in AS maths put me at a disadvantage applying to the top universities?

That depends on the uni you are applying to, Oxbridge and imperial may have a problem but pretty much all other uni's you should be okay, what are your other subjects?
Hiya,

I have just got my AS results and have for AAAA (Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Accounting) and I'm dropping Accounting next year and taking up the EPQ instead. Haven't yet received my predicted grades. I love Chemistry and Maths, and have been looking at courses that would suit that and thought about Chemical Engineering. However, at the moment I don't know too much about the subject. I got a B in GCSE Physics and didn't want to take it at A-level. Does the course contain a lot of Physics and would that be an issue for me? What do you all enjoy most about the course and what made you decide to take it?

Thanks
Original post by rachaelk18
Hiya,

I have just got my AS results and have for AAAA (Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Accounting) and I'm dropping Accounting next year and taking up the EPQ instead. Haven't yet received my predicted grades. I love Chemistry and Maths, and have been looking at courses that would suit that and thought about Chemical Engineering. However, at the moment I don't know too much about the subject. I got a B in GCSE Physics and didn't want to take it at A-level. Does the course contain a lot of Physics and would that be an issue for me? What do you all enjoy most about the course and what made you decide to take it?

Thanks

Loads of maths and physics, little chemistry. If you don't like physics or don't feel you can put up with it for 3/4 years then steer clear of chem eng.
Original post by Ali97
I actually don't know when I get my accommodation offer. It's soon I think.
Where are you from?

Should be soon, I think, from this week
I'm from Kenya :biggrin:
You?
Original post by jLou711
yeah i am, i think most people who do chem eng at manc do the Meng with industrial placement. thats if they get the 60% needed in first year

Is it better to apply for the industrial year through ucas or just get on it after the 1st year? How much support from the university do you get when applying for a placement somewhere?
GCSE: 1 A* 5 A 4 B
AS levels: BBCC in maths, chem, physics and bio however I was only a few ums of the next grade in the first 3 subjects and believe I can get AAB (likely predicted grades) next year.
Can I get into Russell group unis for chem eng e.g. Sheffield, UCL, manc, Leeds (A2L), etc?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by zakboss
GCSE: 1 A* 5 A 4 B
AS levels: BBCC in maths, chem, physics and bio however I was only a few ums of the next grade in the first 3 subjects and believe I can get AAB (likely predicted grades) next year.
Can I get into Russell group unis for chem eng e.g. Sheffield, UCL, manc, Leeds (A2L), etc?

With AAB you can definitely get in to Leeds and Sheffield although Leeds ask for A*AA I believe they'll be more lenient if you undergo their access course, UCL and Manchester aren't impossible either. Also you can still try your best to get at least 1 A* in maths, chem or bio

Good luck!

Latest