The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

is the engineering foundation year any good?

I am deciding between retaking my a2 or doing a foundation engineering year at Sheffield university and I am not sure which one is better?
They're changing it pretty significantly for 2014-15 so I don't think anyone can comment accurately, but as someone who did it this year, unless you want to live away from home, retake your a2s
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
when retaking my a2s would I apply for ucas at the same time?
Original post by fuzka
when retaking my a2s would I apply for ucas at the same time?

Yes, preferably earlier if you can
I didn't do the British school system so can't comment on the A2 part, but I did the foundation year a couple years back and found it pretty useless. I had already been taught most of it in high school and the things I didn't know were taught anyways. After having just finished my first year of actual engineering, where we get taught everything again, it's not really worth it imo. I just took it because it was my only avenue into Sheffield and didn't wanna be anywhere near my parents. Not sure about the changes to the program but I agree with the earlier statement, it isn't worth the £6k + accommodation costs and stuff, you'll probs be better off redoing exams at home.
Reply 5
Original post by alexschmalex
I didn't do the British school system so can't comment on the A2 part, but I did the foundation year a couple years back and found it pretty useless. I had already been taught most of it in high school and the things I didn't know were taught anyways. After having just finished my first year of actual engineering, where we get taught everything again, it's not really worth it imo. I just took it because it was my only avenue into Sheffield and didn't wanna be anywhere near my parents. Not sure about the changes to the program but I agree with the earlier statement, it isn't worth the £6k + accommodation costs and stuff, you'll probs be better off redoing exams at home.

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending