The Student Room Group

AS Grades and Degree applications

Hi,

I've got AACE in my AS grades, got an E in my Chemistry which I always hated and am definitely dropping it, will this hold me back from applying to top universities? Such as Southampton?

I'm applying for engineering degrees ranging from A*AA to ABB grades most likely.

A - Physics
A - Electronics
C - Maths (B's in C1 & C2, low C in D1, resitting both core modules to get up to a B at minimum).
E - Chemistry

How much will universities look at my chemistry grade? I always hated it and never knew why I took it...

& Are my grades ok? Is it worth applying for the A*AA course?
Original post by Beanos
Hi,

I've got AACE in my AS grades, got an E in my Chemistry which I always hated and am definitely dropping it, will this hold me back from applying to top universities? Such as Southampton?

I'm applying for engineering degrees ranging from A*AA to ABB grades most likely.

A - Physics
A - Electronics
C - Maths (B's in C1 & C2, low C in D1, resitting both core modules to get up to a B at minimum).
E - Chemistry

How much will universities look at my chemistry grade? I always hated it and never knew why I took it...

& Are my grades ok? Is it worth applying for the A*AA course?

Unless you're doing Chemical Engineering, I don't think they'll be too upset about the E in Chemistry. They will look at it, but it definitely will not stop you from getting an offer at excellent universities. The real problem here is Maths. Obviously, Maths is really important for Engineering and if I were an admissions tutor, I'd be concerned about admitting a student with a C in Mathematics AS. Definitely be ambitious and by all means apply for A*AA courses (but obviously apply to some less ambitious ones too), but the C in Maths could be an issue.
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
Unless you're doing Chemical Engineering, I don't think they'll be too upset about the E in Chemistry. They will look at it, but it definitely will not stop you from getting an offer at excellent universities. The real problem here is Maths. Obviously, Maths is really important for Engineering and if I were an admissions tutor, I'd be concerned about admitting a student with a C in Mathematics AS. Definitely be ambitious and by all means apply for A*AA courses (but obviously apply to some less ambitious ones too), but the C in Maths could be an issue.

Yeah I figured that might be the case, I was 2% off a B in my maths and will probably resit core 1 and 2, is it possible to get it up to a B/A?

Was looking at Aero/Mech/Electrical Engineering, so not Chem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest