The Student Room Group

I feel dumb and ugly...

At the beginning of AS, I was working hard working and motivated. However after doing my first ever practice essay in class in timed condition for Sociology (which I didn't take for GCSEs), I ended up getting an E. Ever since then, my Sociology teacher kept insisting I should drop out since I'm not good enough for the course, and made me feel dumb about choosing AS-Levels. I still stayed in the course thinking I should prove her label of me wrong, however I left my Revision a month before, due to feeling de-motivated. But ended up with a C (Unit 1-B & Unit-2-D, I'm thinking of retaking Unit 2). However in one course I got a B while in the other I got an E (I'm going to replace this AS).

I feel as though these results were also caused by my low self esteem. During my AS Levels, my "friends" used to keep emphasising that I was chubby and not as smart and pretty as my sister. I don't think I'm chubby or skinny since my BMI is&was normal, now that I think about it. Before I didn't care about what other people used to think of me, but I didn't neglect how I looked, since I still took care of how I looked. However, ever since those comments that those "friends" made, my self esteem went low. During the end of my AS I only found out they were using me just to get closer to my sister.

After all of this, my self esteem and motivation went really low. I also know I can't think like this any more, since I need to focus on pulling up my A-Level grades and move on.

How do I accept being ugly? and am I really dumb?
Reply 1
Bump.
First of all your friends are total dicks, I think you're going through a rough patch. Lots of people feel like this at least once in their life. Get away from those people that are making you feel like this, you will probably find out later on that they're are totally wrong and it was THEM that was bringing you down. As for your teacher I'm sure she's only trying to help you although her approach may have been wrong, I think in a way you proved to her that you could do it if you wanted to by improving your grades. You are not ugly and intelligence isn't just getting good grades and memorising stuff, it comes in all sorts of forms :hugs:
Reply 3
Of course you're not! Be confident and happy, because they're probably jealous of you. Your 'friends' are immature and ridiculous, and it sounds as if you need to move on from them. Ignore their ridiculous remarks and work hard for your future because at the end of the day, it'll benefit you! Much love x
A C is a good grade considering you seemed to struggle with sociology at first. When did you do your first practice essay? If it was near the beginning of the year your teacher really should have been more understanding, it's perfectly reasonable for people to not do that well in a new course especially if they do not have any previous experience of the subject. This is why my history teacher told us that we wouldn't be given grades on our work at the beginning of the year as it'd be likely that we'd get low grades and he didn't want us to get demotivated.

It's hard when people you consider friends talk to you like that but I would try my best to forget about it and get on with improving your A-level grades. Also bear in mind that looks aren't everything and even if you feel ugly I'm sure there are people out there that think you're pretty. I'm sure most people aren't even concerned with what you look like. You shouldn't be made to feel ugly by a few people.

I don't think you're dumb, it's very easy to get demotivated when you struggle with something and have someone tell you to give up. It's good that you got a C in sociology as I'm sure it's higher that what your teacher was expecting. Try your best to pick yourself up for A2s and find a different group of friends that are more supportive of you.

Hope this helps a bit.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by chocolatesauce
First of all your friends are total dicks, I think you're going through a rough patch. Lots of people feel like this at least once in their life. Get away from those people that are making you feel like this, you will probably find out later on that they're are totally wrong and it was THEM that was bringing you down. As for your teacher I'm sure she's only trying to help you although her approach may have been wrong, I think in a way you proved to her that you could do it if you wanted to by improving your grades. You are not ugly and intelligence isn't just getting good grades and memorising stuff, it comes in all sorts of forms :hugs:

Original post by sam_xox
Of course you're not! Be confident and happy, because they're probably jealous of you. Your 'friends' are immature and ridiculous, and it sounds as if you need to move on from them. Ignore their ridiculous remarks and work hard for your future because at the end of the day, it'll benefit you! Much love x

I got rid of those "friends" at the end of AS, but I feel like if I left them earlier, then I would have focused more on AS than how I look. It's because they weren't the first people to say that, which bothered me. I was already insecure about the amount of baby fat I have on my face and how buttoned my nose looks, on top of that my own cousin tells me I look like this: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-J8i_EXZza7E/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAACU/a5X5LObSgFo/photo.jpg .Now That I look at myself in the mirror, I started thinking we looked alike, but now I'm trying to analyse myself carefully, even though I don't have a uni-brow and that person in the picture is clearly a man, I still can't help but think I look like him. I have a feeling my teacher still thinks I'm dumb, since she didn't ask for my results on results day, she only asked the students who were known as smart in her classes. Also my sixth form allowed me to stay, but only if I replace the subject I got an E in. Previously during AS I dropped out RE before my exams because I was pressured to by a senior staff, after I stupidly listened to that person, so I dropped it out (which I regret). However my RE teacher was shocked that I dropped out since I was getting A-C grades in her unit even though I used to get D grades in Ethics, however the only thing that pulled me down was my time management skills during mocks. Can I pick AS RE up again, even though I dropped it before? And thanks for your advices.
Reply 6
Original post by Claros
A C is a good grade considering you seemed to struggle with sociology at first. When did you do your first practice essay? If it was near the beginning of the year your teacher really should have been more understanding, it's perfectly reasonable for people to not do that well in a new course especially if they do not have any previous experience of the subject. This is why my history teacher told us that we wouldn't be given grades on our work at the beginning of the year as it'd be likely that we'd get low grades and he didn't want us to get demotivated.

It's hard when people you consider friends talk to you like that but I would try my best to forget about it and get on with improving your A-level grades. Also bear in mind that looks aren't everything and even if you feel ugly I'm sure there are people out there that think you're pretty. I'm sure most people aren't even concerned with what you look like. You shouldn't be made to feel ugly by a few people.

I don't think you're dumb, it's very easy to get demotivated when you struggle with something and have someone tell you to give up. It's good that you got a C in sociology as I'm sure it's higher that what your teacher was expecting. Try your best to pick yourself up for A2s and find a different group of friends that are more supportive of you.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks this did made me feel better and motivated. And I already left those group of "friends" at the end of AS, now I've got a better set of friends. I did that test the first week of college. Your History teacher sounds reasonable and understanding, I wish I had teachers like that. Maybe because my teacher was stressing about filtering students out of her course, since last year in her course, only 7/60 students made it to A2. It didn't bother me that much when she began pressuring me to drop out, until she mentioned that me having Asperger's Syndrome will be hold back for me since she said I'll need more support than other students.
Now that I'm thinking about all of this, I feel as though if I didn't listen to my teacher, I would've studied alot harder and earlier. And maybe get better grades.

Quick Reply

Latest