The Student Room Group

Serious Assessment of my situation

Goal - Get into banking or finance. I want work experience working for a large financial institution or a bank. I'm actually not too fussed what I, but I know I have a technical skillset and love working with numbers, and have a strong interest in the financial markets, investing etc.

Education: Bachelor of Engineering / Bachelor of Commerce (Finance and Accounting major) from the University of Sydney, Australia. 2nd Class Honours.
Work Experience:
- Worked as a Mechanical Engineer in Sydney for 2 years for a large Engineering firm (didn't like it and wanted to change career path)
- Have been working for 8 months as an IT Business Analyst for a publishing company (decent job, but not a long term solution.

Am I screwed? How do I go about doing this..? Do I need to go back to uni and get a masters to become competitive? I'd be too old to enter a graduate scheme. Should I hit up recruiters and try to gauge what type of positions are available that may let me sneak in the door? Thanks. Serious helpful answers only thanks.
Original post by jamie1029
Goal - Get into banking or finance. I want work experience working for a large financial institution or a bank. I'm actually not too fussed what I, but I know I have a technical skillset and love working with numbers, and have a strong interest in the financial markets, investing etc.

Education: Bachelor of Engineering / Bachelor of Commerce (Finance and Accounting major) from the University of Sydney, Australia. 2nd Class Honours.
Work Experience:
- Worked as a Mechanical Engineer in Sydney for 2 years for a large Engineering firm (didn't like it and wanted to change career path)
- Have been working for 8 months as an IT Business Analyst for a publishing company (decent job, but not a long term solution.

Am I screwed? How do I go about doing this..? Do I need to go back to uni and get a masters to become competitive? I'd be too old to enter a graduate scheme. Should I hit up recruiters and try to gauge what type of positions are available that may let me sneak in the door? Thanks. Serious helpful answers only thanks.

Masters is not that useful. You could try to start working your way through the CFA.
Reply 2
I doubt you're screwed. I've met people older than you on a big 4 vacation scheme. =)

I'd just call up graduate recruitment of whichever firm you're interested in and just confirm whether or not you can apply for the graduate schemes. Usually experienced hire positions are for those who have 3+ years of experience as an analyst.
Reply 3
The issue with graduate schemes is the lengthy recruitment process - they are always for the 'following' year.

However, I am sure I have some transferrable skills. For example, I am working as an IT Business Analyst and have sound knowledge of SQL and advanced excel knowledge. Also I come from an engineering background. I'm optimistically hoping I can somehow get in through transferrable skills that would allow me to skip the whole graduate scheme, but I don't know how to go about it.:confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending